Rumor The EPCOT Hotel

peter11435

Whenever I see images like this from Walt Disney World, with mass tree clearings, I cannot help but wonder if the individuals making these decisions had watched the Circle of Life Environmental Fable at the Land or listed to John Muir's words at the American Adventure.
View attachment 286166

Walt Disney World itself would not exist if not for what’s seen in those photos.

SpaceMountain77

Walt Disney World itself would not exist if not for what’s seen in those photos.

I vist Walt Disney World three times per year. If a regular guest is honest about the condition of the parks, resorts, and unused guest areas, then s/he would likely agree that there should be greater emphasis on fixing and maintaining current guest areas as opposed to building new and letting existing areas fall further into disrepair. The Grand Floridian, for example, has significant roof damage, across several lodges, from last fall's hurricanes that has yet to be addressed.

peter11435

I vist Walt Disney World three times per year. If a regular guest is honest about the condition of the parks, resorts, and unused guest areas, then s/he would likely agree that there should be greater emphasis on fixing and maintaining current guest areas as opposed to building new and letting existing areas fall further into disrepair. The Grand Floridian, for example, has significant roof damage, across several lodges, from last fall's hurricanes that has yet to be addressed.

I can’t disagree with the premise of your post.

Although I will say it’s getting better.

I can’t really fault them for the GF issue. There was tons of minor damage all over the property. There has been repair work going on across the resort since then to address these issues. It takes time.

Figment2005

The Grand has been going under a constant refurb for the last year. The main buildings have been getting repainted and repaired the entire time. It's a large complex of structures so that many repairs takes time.

ProfSavage

wait, what if the hotel is Xandar themed from GOTG, a futuristic city aesthetic from the first movie?
tenor.gif

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Whenever I see images like this from Walt Disney World, with mass tree clearings, I cannot help but wonder if the individuals making these decisions had watched the Circle of Life Environmental Fable at the Land or listed to John Muir's words at the American Adventure.
View attachment 286166
You concern is misplaced. This is not virgin rainforest that is being cut down.

There are actually more trees in the US now than there were 100 years ago. Forest growth has exceeded harvest since the 1940s.

Last edited:

Bender123

There are actually more trees in the US now than there were 100 years ago. Forrest growth has actually exceeded harvest since the 1940s.

The worst offenders are people complaining about American paper mills clear cutting forests...They own thousands of acres of tree farms. When they cut one area for paper, they immediately replant it, the next year, they move on to the next area, do the same and rotate through for 20 year periods, when they return to the first area. They run their tree farms like farms, if they just cut down and never replanted, there would be no crop.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
The worst offenders are people complaining about American paper mills clear cutting forests...They own thousands of acres of tree farms. When they cut one area for paper, they immediately replant it, the next year, they move on to the next area, do the same and rotate through for 20 year periods, when they return to the first area. They run their tree farms like farms, if they just cut down and never replanted, there would be no crop.
Exactly. Lumber in the US is a crop just like wheat or cucumbers.

Even when a non-farm area like this is cleared, it is not uncommon for viable lumber to get used.

Last edited:

SpaceMountain77

There are actually more trees in the US now than there were 100 years ago. Forrest growth has actually exceeded harvest since the 1940s.

Although a superficial read of the comment may result in the reader interpreting the statement to center on an ecological issue, the post, instead, is a comment on the urbanization of the Walt Disney World Resort. A full-day visit at the Walt Disney Family Museum, in San Francisco, provides individuals with an understanding of the resort's departure from Walt's vision for Florida and, specifically, his dissatisfaction with the sprawl of Anaheim.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Although a superficial read of the comment may result in the reader interpreting the statement to center on an ecological issue, the post, instead, is a comment on the urbanization of the Walt Disney World Resort. A full-day visit at the Walt Disney Family Museum, in San Francisco, provides individuals with an understanding of the resort's departure from Walt's vision for Florida and, specifically, his dissatisfaction with the sprawl of Anaheim.
So a day trip to a museum and I can have complete clarity as all of the wants, desires and motivations of a man that has been dead for more than 50 years? Sounds like a bargain!

ppete1975

This wont be an issue soon... when computers become more popular our dependency on paper will go way down. Everything will stored on your server or on floppy disks and paper will no longer need to be used. The cost savings from paper and ink will pay for the computer in a few years.

Yes this was the sales pitch in the 80s.... btw I think I waste more paper now than they did back then, but I was a kid in those days so who knows.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
This wont be an issue soon... when computers become more popular our dependency on paper will go way down. Everything will stored on your server or on floppy disks and paper will no longer need to be used. The cost savings from paper and ink will pay for the computer in a few years.

Yes this was the sales pitch in the 80s.... btw I think I waste more paper now than they did back then, but I was a kid in those days so who knows.

I would say, for me, it's been in only the past 10 years that the digital revolution has reduced the use of paper for me. I don't like to file or store paper any more. I scan it. I'm militant against using fax. Scan it and email it. You can amend PDF files and plop a scanned image of your signature onto it and send it by email. You don't have to print it out, fill and sign it, and then rescan or fax it.

And then people say they want a fax so that they know a document was legally signed. Oh, honey, I can scan anyone's signature and photoshop an excellent forgery and fax it to you... is that how you're going to make sure everything is on the up and up? The power of faxing? Please enter the 21st century.

The one area where paper still rules is having to read something in a presentation in places where there's no multimedia set-up. Still got to print it out and lug the binder around. Need better large screen pads that are super easy and completely reliable and have super long battery life.

To bring this to Disney, I like how resort check-in and ticketing can be easily paperless with MDE. Now, if the resorts would stop leaving a ton of paper notes and flyers in the rooms...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom