The end of friendship at WDW

Mr_Tom_Morrow

I had a similar experience about 4-5 years ago with a friend of the family,they payed for nothing except their meals and extra stuff.

anyhow,she did nothing but complain about darn near every last thing..the pillow cases at the Coronado Springs were too rough,the buses stunk,we went and ate at 9 dragons and she had the audacity to eat 3/4 of a plate of moo goo gai pan and then say it wasnt good...then she refused to pay for it on top of that,our final day we went to DTD and were shopping around,she asked where the "regular mall" was becuase she would rather buy something not Disney to remember the trip by :shrug:

I honestly wish I had been driving on that trip I wouldve left her there :fork:

It is because of that series of events I will NEVER!! again visit the world with someone who has never been

I am so sorry to hear about your trip. DW and I went to WDW this past Christmas and New Year with friends...we respected each other and didn't have any problems.

I wouldn't say that you have lost your friend. IMO you should tell your friend that you were a little hurt by her attitude. Tell her how you and you BF perceived her actions. It obviously HURT you.

That will probably make her go on the defensive and blame you, so expect that. I would make sure she knows how you all felt...and then bury the hatchet. One crummy experience with a good friend in a totally foreign environment is no cause to end a friendship.

Of course if your friend is normally a jerk...then maybe you should re-evaluate your friendship...and this may be a sign that you and your BF should move on.

Best of luck, and head back to WDW as soon as possible.

Rob562

I guess I've missed out on all that drama when I've vacationed in Disney World with my close friends. Some are of the same park-touring style that I am, while others are of the mind-set "I'm on vacation, Rob's the Disney expert, he can make the decisions". :)

Before the trip, I take a survey of food preferences so that I know what places to aim for. And during the trip, if there's a decision to make I always give specific options ("Would you like to go to Splash Mountain or Pirates next?") and not a generic "what do you want to go on now?" They've willingly relinquished command, and they know what to expect. It's always worked well.

Also, midway through the week we plan a "solo day" where everyone can go off and do what they want. Sleep in, sit by the pool, tour hotels, ride Small World ten times in a row... Then we all meet up for dinner that evening. And everyone knows that they can split off if they want to. On one trip, two of us wanted to stay to see the parade, the other two went back to the room to turn in early.

The one rule we made years ago (when we were all single guys) was that if we go as a group again, it'll either be "guys-only" or "couples-only". We know that a mixed group would spell trouble.

-Rob

Mikieboy84

WOW I can't believe anyone could be that aggressively unpleasant.

I've been going to WDW since I was 6 (32 now) and the most enjoyable trips for me have been when we brought someone new along to enjoy the magic for the first time!

I guess I either have good luck or good friends or both, but anyone we have ever taken just got on board with our routine and enjoyed the whole trip. With a nuclear family of 4 that went my entire childhood, we have added 3 friends that now come on every trip with us! (Plus my BF and my brother's GF).

Nansafan

We've been lucky taking friends and extended family along. Everyone knows that I'm OCD when it comes to lists and they let me make the lists. We discuss restaurants early on so we can make ADR's that people will enjoy and we all know that my brother is the leader and we follow him. He is not a bossy leader, quite benevolent in fact and he watches out for everyone's feelings and concerns. Sometimes stressful things happen but a few minutes of alone time and we're all good again.

I'm sorry for your bad experience. I'd let your friend know about how you feel and if she has a fit, then she wasn't that good of a friend to begin with. Mother always said "you don't know a person until you live with them". Your vacation was a great example.

ROEFan88

I'm home on a Saturday night because of a horrible cold I caught from a friend I took to Disney World last week. I've heard taking friends on vacation is a bad idea, but this was beyond horrific. I came home with this cold, and minus much money and a friend.

I paid for a 5 day park hopper for my best friend- My boyfriend and I got a room with our extra credit card points so I told her she would just have to pay for gas along the way (our first NY to WDW roadtrip!) and her own meals and extra expenses. It was a thanksgiving trip, and a much needed vacation for me since I work in an extremely fast-paced and stressful industry!

Well, let me tell you, not only did she complain the entire time, she tried to control every part of the trip, from what kennel my dogs stayed in to what rides we went on, to where we ate. At one point my boyfriend wanted to go on Small World (he loves classics and thrill rides) and she said "NO. I don't want to go on that." Okay, so lets go on Space Mountain. She had been on it once while we took a break to get a drink so figured she liked it and would go again. "NO. I already went on that." She woke up hours before us to get breakfast and go to the store without asking if we needed anything. She took every opportunity to stop single fathers in the park with their kids and flirt with them (very embarrasing). Finally, she wakes up one morning in the middle of the trip and screams "WE have to go home! I need to be at the dinner table for Turkey!" She actually made such a fuss that the room next to us knocked on the wall and we did end up leaving a day early- not a total loss because the lines were horrible anyway, but still- I paid for five days.

On the way home she didn't pay for gas at all, and didn't thank us for leaving early, paying, or driving her all the way to her front door. Trying to ruin WDW for me, doubled with the way she treated my boyfriend- is a total friendship breaker.
Has this happened to anyone else?

Obviously all we have to go on is what you've actually told us about your friend, but with all due respect... THIS is your best friend? It seems to me that you didn't clash, rather your friend was incredibly rude, disrespectful, and arrogant. Quite frankly, if I was in your shoes, I wouldn't have stood for it - anyone who acts like this when they haven't even PAID anything has clearly been raised horrendously badly. It's the typical behaviour of a spoiled child, but from an adult (assuming she is an adult) it's disgusting. If it were me, I would have let her do whatever she wanted, but of course I wouldn't follow her. I would let her find her own way back to New York.

Is she a wonderful friend everywhere else but WDW? If not, I would assume you're better off without her. (But I strongly urge you to insist she pay for some, if not all the expenses she incurred which you paid for. DO NOT let her rip you off when she also ruined your trip.)

I'm so sorry for you and your boyfriend, and I hope you enjoy your next trip a whole lot more. Sorry for ranting, but going only on what you posted, I still think this person's behaviour was unacceptable.

(Also, for the record, I've taken my best friend to WDW before (for 2 weeks) and it was the best holiday ever! No problems whatsoever.)

doop

Wow, I'm sorry you had such a bad experience. She sounds like a very selfish person, so I think reviving a relationship with her is a bad idea. I've never personally been on a trip to WDW with a friend, but I don't think I ever will after reading your story.

H20Babie

I have had a similar but different experience. About 10 years ago, my (ex)husband and I and our best friends (another couple) decided to rent a house in Puerto Vallarta for two weeks. Unknown to us, the other couple decided to invite two other friends, both women and single. Well, both couldn't really afford the trip and ended up eating Kraft dinner the whole time while we and the other couple went out for dinner, did some sightseeing, shopping etc. Both women hadn't brought enough money, and after the fourth day or so, began complaining ... why can't we all stay in and eat, why do have to go out club hopping, we can drink here ... whine, whine, nag, nag. To make a long story short, we had had enough and told them, this is our vacation and we'll do what we want to do. Our best friends then got mad at us for not "including" their friends. Arrrgh! When we got back home, the other couple had broken up ... :shrug:

Needless to say, I don't travel with friends that often anymore. In fact, my (ex) mother-in-law wanted us to vacation together this year, but while she is good hearted and a dear friend, I know with absolute certainty that I could never share a room with her for more than a night. Luckily, one of her sons (not my ex) has decided to get married next New Years in Vegas so she can't take a vacation with me, which lets me off the hook to go solo to Disney :D

Uponastar

Vacations can be a stress on a friendship due to close proximity for an extended time. I guess it's true that you don't know a person till you've traveled with them.
OP...hopefully the things that made you friends in the first place will help both of you forget the things that went wrong.
Best wishes!

cdunbar

I always go with my very best friend but my senior year in high school she couldn't go so another friend went with us. It was a trip to celebrate my graduation and to celebrate my niece's 13th birthday. It was suppose to be a fun trip, we had character meals planned for my niece and things that my friend and I would like. Anyhow long story short my friend acted like a 13 yr old girl the entire time. When we didn't go on a ride she wanted to ride she would cry and pout mind you this is an 18 yr old girl headed off to college in a few weeks time. When we ate some where and they wouldn't allow her to eat off the children's menu which featured chicken fingers and mac & cheese she would cry then too. One night at a restaurant my niece, because she and I are close, knew I had had enough of the friends behavior and said to her "Hey you know this trip is for my birthday and Christa's graduation it's not about you!" The girl was in shock and then crossed her arms and did the pout thing like a two year old my niece said to her again "Look I am the youngest here not you so act like an 18 yo on her way to college!" That night when we got back to the hotel she called her mother to come and get her because she said my family did nothing but pick on her the whole time and she was ready to go! Needless to say her mom came and got her and I haven't spoken to her since!

smk

"We aren't interested in compromising on vacation."

Nothing could be more true! We have thought about taking friends to WDW and have taken our kids friends with us on several trips BUT I have made it clear that if they don't want/like what we have planned to do ourselves they can make their own plans with their own money. We have not ever taken our friends because if they don't like it (as much as we love it) then our whole trip will be ruined. I am not interested in vacationing with anyone other than my family for the most part. We socialize at dinners and get togethers here at home but vacations are for us and usually, us alone.

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy
I'm home on a Saturday night because of a horrible cold I caught from a friend I took to Disney World last week. I've heard taking friends on vacation is a bad idea, but this was beyond horrific. I came home with this cold, and minus much money and a friend.

I paid for a 5 day park hopper for my best friend- My boyfriend and I got a room with our extra credit card points so I told her she would just have to pay for gas along the way (our first NY to WDW roadtrip!) and her own meals and extra expenses. It was a thanksgiving trip, and a much needed vacation for me since I work in an extremely fast-paced and stressful industry!

Well, let me tell you, not only did she complain the entire time, she tried to control every part of the trip, from what kennel my dogs stayed in to what rides we went on, to where we ate. At one point my boyfriend wanted to go on Small World (he loves classics and thrill rides) and she said "NO. I don't want to go on that." Okay, so lets go on Space Mountain. She had been on it once while we took a break to get a drink so figured she liked it and would go again. "NO. I already went on that." She woke up hours before us to get breakfast and go to the store without asking if we needed anything. She took every opportunity to stop single fathers in the park with their kids and flirt with them (very embarrasing). Finally, she wakes up one morning in the middle of the trip and screams "WE have to go home! I need to be at the dinner table for Turkey!" She actually made such a fuss that the room next to us knocked on the wall and we did end up leaving a day early- not a total loss because the lines were horrible anyway, but still- I paid for five days.

On the way home she didn't pay for gas at all, and didn't thank us for leaving early, paying, or driving her all the way to her front door. Trying to ruin WDW for me, doubled with the way she treated my boyfriend- is a total friendship breaker.
Has this happened to anyone else?

Sounds like a "friend" that's good to be done with!

GrimGrinninAnna

Original Poster
Thanks for all the responses. Sounds like some of you have made trips work- and that's encouraging.

To be honest with you, she had been going a little crazy for sometime which is why I thought a WDW trip might bring her back to ground. She never won any awards for World's Best Friend, but was always a lot of fun- so take that for what you will.

However, no matter what goes on back home, it was mortifying to stand there with a 20-something yr old baby screaming and yelling. As for the fathers thing, two of them were more than happy to oblige, which is great, but most of them seemed totally flummoxed and very uncomfortable. Also, as a former family magazine editor, one thing I know *never* to do is make comments on other people's parenting, which constituted a lot of her pickup lines...
"Your son is so cute- just like you." "Hi, do you take your kids here a lot? What rides should I go on?" and my personal favorite, "Your daughter is too small to ride Kali River Rapids." I don't know, it was just embarassing.

Judging from the other responses here, I feel like if it was a strong friendship to begin with, it would have held out over long lines, expensive Dole Whips, and ride conflicts.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom