The end for refillable mugs?

I guess I really really need to stop taking my 1999 Dixie Landings mugs back to All Star Music for refills... :lookaroun

Just kidding..

They're 2000 Millennium Celebration Mugs.. :ROFLOL:

zweltar

While this is being viewed as a bad thing by most of us, perhaps it would have some positive effects? Like refills at counter service locations in parks? This is not possible now, but with tech like this perhaps it would be.
Call me crazy for trying to find something positive in this.:wave:

PurpleDragon

I offer this image as additional proof of the fact that refillable mugs have always been length of stay:

Refillmugs1.jpg

This image shows the resort specific refillable mugs on the fountain, which where still being made prior to 2005-2006 and as you can see its clearly posted directly on the fountain that the mugs are for length of stay only.

Perhaps someone here could enlighten us to which year the mugs in the pics are from. I don't remember off the top of my head how often the PO mugs changed.:D

Disney05

Of all the times we've gotten the mugs, no one has ever told us it's good for life. I have been told it's good for the length of our stay though. I have seen people take advantage and use mugs from years past. I've never seen anyone stop them either.

mickeysshoes

I offer this image as additional proof of the fact that refillable mugs have always been length of stay:

Refillmugs1.jpg

This image shows the resort specific refillable mugs on the fountain, which where still being made prior to 2005-2006 and as you can see its clearly posted directly on the fountain that the mugs are for length of stay only.

Perhaps someone here could enlighten us to which year the mugs in the pics are from. I don't remember off the top of my head how often the PO mugs changed.:D

Cant tell you what year it was from but can tell you it was not from 12/2000!!!

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.

Refillmugs1.jpg

Didnt Port Orleans come into being around 2001 as dear old Dixie departed?

And look resort specific mugs, youd have though that generic made in china plastic would have already off set the grand theft of syrrup

PurpleDragon

Didnt Port Orleans come into being around 2001 as dear old Dixie departed?

And look resort specific mugs, youd have though that generic made in china plastic would have already off set the grand theft of syrrup

The original Port Orleans consisted of only the French Quarter and opened back in the early 90's, Dixie Landings was merged with Port Orleans and converted into Port Orleans Riverside back in 2001.

ginnymack

I have read from a few sources that the refillable mug was in fact offered for a very short period of time as offering lifetime refills. (I have even seen a photo of the mug that clearly stated life time refills!) I think that is before Disney realized that 15 years later that people would STILL be lugging those mugs around. The policy quite quickly changed to length of stay.

jonnyc

I like the idea, as carrying the mug around is a pain, and we gave up on it many years ago instead just going for the one time cups.

stuart

I have read from a few sources that the refillable mug was in fact offered for a very short period of time as offering lifetime refills. (I have even seen a photo of the mug that clearly stated life time refills!) I think that is before Disney realized that 15 years later that people would STILL be lugging those mugs around. The policy quite quickly changed to length of stay.

Certainly mid-nineties there was that policy when we got our mugs. I remember it was a few years after that it changed to 'length of stay'. There are still many people we see each year at POR using the original yellow mugs - and the mugs for life that we got in '96 - which we and another family, who sometimes come to POR at the same time as us, still use.

Korfar

I know there are a lot of people that bring mugs back even if it isn't the same mug the resorts currently use. I saw it plently last year. However does anyone honestly think Disney cares all that much? Filling that mug costs them about a nickle each time it is filled. If you fill it twice a day for 7 days that is only $1.40. The mug costs them what $1 a piece. They charge about $13 per mug now a days. That profit is huge. I just can't see them spending the money it will take to develop and implement a scanning system for fountain drinks. I think they will just live with people using the same mugs year after year. Just my thoughts.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Personally I do not care one way or another but I would love to have the lifetime debate settled once an for all. The simple fact is that all we have are anecdotes of a lifetime refill policy's existence. All we would need to prove the policy existed is a picture of a mug or a mug add that indicates that it can be refilled forever. If someone has an old Dixie Landings mug the proof of the lifetime refill policy's existence very well might be right in front of you.

Here is my hypothesis....

I doubt the word lifetime was ever "officially" used on signs, literature, etc. I think it is more of a case of there being no official return trip policy in place prior to 2000 +/- and the CM's simply inferred that the mugs were good forever and told guests exactly that. I base this hypothesis on the fact that in all of the bitter mug battles no one has produced an actual photo of a sign showing a lifetime refill policy.

If someone can prove me wrong please do. I would like nothing more than to put this age old debate to bed once and for all.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
If it was an issue, rather than investing in technology wouldn't a simple sign saying not to use old mugs be a first step in indicating Disney were serious about the issue. Plus length of stay, if I swap resorts do I need to swop plastic mugs?

Eyorefan

Personally I do not care one way or another but I would love to have the lifetime debate settled once an for all. The simple fact is that all we have are anecdotes of a lifetime refill policy's existence. All we would need to prove the policy existed is a picture of a mug or a mug add that indicates that it can be refilled forever. If someone has an old Dixie Landings mug the proof of the lifetime refill policy's existence very well might be right in front of you.

I doubt the word lifetime was ever "officially" used on signs, literature, etc. I think it is more of a case of there being no official return trip policy in place prior to 2000 +/- and the CM's simply inferred that the mugs were good forever and told guests exactly that. I base this hypothesis on the fact that in all of the bitter mug battles no one has produced an actual photo of a sign showing a lifetime refill policy.

If someone can prove me wrong please do. I would like nothing more than to put this age old debate to bed once and for all.

Yes, I would love to see those signs or mugs as well.

Just to throw one more anecdote into the mix, I have a POFQ mug from our stay there in 1996 and no, it does not say refills for life, and I don't think my family was under that impression when we bought it.

PurpleDragon

QFT!!

I agree whole heartedly. The old mug debate has been around for years, heck these debate threads have been around since I first joined this site back in 04.

In the early 90's I was still visiting the parks with my family and my parents always purchased the mugs so I don't know what they were told by CMs as far as the mug policy. But I do know that I have many mugs in my cabinet at home from the many trips my wife and I have taken from 98 thru to our most recent trip a few years back. Had I ever been told that any of the mugs I purchased had a lifetime refill policy, you better believe I'd be bringing that old faded piece of junk back every single year. :p

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom