The end for refillable mugs?

Depends on what's in it. If $2,000 sneaks out the door every year in possessions, it will eventually be worth it.

They seems concerned about it at the water parks. Perhaps they tried the system there with the barcodes and didn't like it.

I won't pretend to know what the thinking is, but if the losses were that small, they might not be bothering with this at all.

By these #'s, it would be worth it after 1000 years...if we count "millions on security" as $2 million...

So...really not worth it...

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Depends on what's in it. If $2,000 sneaks out the door every year in possessions, it will eventually be worth it.

They seems concerned about it at the water parks. Perhaps they tried the system there with the barcodes and didn't like it.

I won't pretend to know what the thinking is, but if the losses were that small, they might not be bothering with this at all.
I am thinking that that is the case.

bradk

The numbers were just numbers they have no basis in reality and no you wouldn't spend $100 to stop a 1 cent loss unless of course making a profit is of no concern to you. Like I said earlier if Disney thought that the cost of preventing beverage theft was less that what they were loosing due to it the bar code system would be in place tomorrow.

I understand your numbers have no basis in reality, but what you're failing to understand is that it's not a loss of pennies if someone re-uses a mug, it's a loss of dollars because it's one less mug sold.

pennies may not hurt the bottom line, but it certainly has a strong effect on potential revenue.

so I simply just used your example. if it costs $100 for every penny to develop and install a new system (i'm guessing that's an initial estimate on your behalf and not a running cost), then it means they only have to sell 8 more mugs (or 2 families) to break even.

ulto22

Not sure if it was stated, and sorry if it was, but all fountain drink concentrates and syrup in Disney World are provided by the Coca Cola company in exchange for getting a percent of the profits from bottled drinks sold on property.

That being said, It seems like Disney wouldn't be losing out at all with the small percent of returning guests abusing the Refillable Mugs.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I understand your numbers have no basis in reality, but what you're failing to understand is that it's not a loss of pennies if someone re-uses a mug, it's a loss of dollars because it's one less mug sold.

pennies may not hurt the bottom line, but it certainly has a strong effect on potential revenue.

so I simply just used your example. if it costs $100 for every penny to develop and install a new system (i'm guessing that's an initial estimate on your behalf and not a running cost), then it means they only have to sell 8 more mugs to break even.
If this were the case and the loss was as great as you claim why has Disney done nothing? The technology is there and has been for a while so that is not the reason. The technology is easy to implement and use so that is not the reason. All we have left is that it is not worth the expense to implement the technology because the losses are not as great as everyone thinks. It is not like these mugs are a new thing....they have been at WDW for more than a decade. If they were loosing dump truck loads of money over people reusing mugs they would have either put in something to stop reuse or gotten rid of them entirely.

MegaPowersPT

Original Poster
Maybe if they changed the design every year more people would be inclined to buy the mugs.

Or people would just continue to use the old mugs! :animwink:

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
why haven't they done anything? they designed, invented and patented a whole system for it.

but I digress.
But they have never implemented it which leaves us back right where we started. The problem is not big enough for them to worry about.

princessmelinda

It's funny because I've always joked about bringing old mugs back to beat the system.........but i never actually did it lol. Plus, I think the mugs are THE best souvenir!

bradk

But they have never implemented it which leaves us back right where we started. The problem is not big enough for them to worry about.

the patent *application* was just submitted a few days ago. things take time.

obviously it meant something to someone if they designed the system, invented prototypes (which is required for a patent application), drafted a patent application and paid money to submit it for approval.

Eyorefan

It's funny because I've always joked about bringing old mugs back to beat the system.........but i never actually did it lol. Plus, I think the mugs are THE best souvenir!

That has been my view on it until they stopped changing the mugs. This year I will be bringing my 2009 mug on my 2010 trip. I'm sorry, but going from resort mugs to generic mugs was pretty crappy. Now the mugs aren't even year specific! If Disney isn't going to care about the mugs than I'm not going to either.

It's sad because they really were great suvinors when they featured the resorts, and we used to actually looked forward to paying for the new ones.

princessmelinda

That has been my view on it until they stopped changing the mugs. This year I will be bringing my 2009 mug on my 2010 trip. I'm sorry, but going from resort mugs to generic mugs was pretty crappy. Now the mugs aren't even year specific! If Disney isn't going to care about the mugs than I'm not going to either.

It's sad because they really were great suvinors when they featured the resorts, and we used to actually looked forward to paying for the new ones.

I respect that, why bother buying the same exact mug twice :)

TinkerBelle8878

Wouldn't a cheaper way be to bring back resort specific/year specific mugs? Ones that are glaringly different and cannot be passed off as a previous years?

I've never bought the mugs, I don't drink enough soda to justify it and they don't have diet sprite or diet root beer which I prefer. Now, if they'd start putting the sodas from Club Cool (except the Beverly) that you can't get anywhere else, then I might buy one.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
the patent *application* was just submitted a few days ago. things take time.

obviously it meant something to someone if they designed the system, invented prototypes (which is required for a patent application), drafted a patent application and paid money to submit it for approval.
They also patented several incarnations of the fastpass system a little more than a year ago and nothing has come of that so while it might mean something to someone it does not mean that it will ever be used.

Dwarful

We do really miss the resort specific mugs. I put our two mugs from our honeymoon up in the cabinet more as a souvineer of that wonderful first trip with my husband. This year we bought the mugs at Pop because we knew we'd get the moneys worth out of them. This summer trip we are at Yacht club. I am not shelling out $60 more for 4 of the same mugs esp. when the refill stations can be quite a walk from your room. So this summer we most likely won't buy the mugs. We are driving and can easily bring in a case of soda and a case of water for in the room or pool side.

asianway

Not true - purchased in 2001 at Roaring Forks, WL. This was the advertisement posted and many took advantage of it.

The original policy was that the mugs were refillable for that trip and for all future visits. The signs were very clear on what was being purchased. The year the policy changed, all the mugs changed colors. I can only speak with 100% on the colors for the Contemporary since that is the mug I purchased, but "life" mugs are silver with a silver handle. When the policy changed, the mugs were white with a purple or red handle.

Bluewaves

From this patent it sounds like when you buy the mug it will be programmed with your length of stay and then when you scan it will fill up, I think it has gotten out of control last time I was at CBR, there was a guy filling up the ice bucket from his room with coke and lots of other people with non Disney mugs, ie old coke bottles and all kinds of other refillable coffee mugs that it has gotten completely out of control.

People have abused the system for a long time I think the cost are starting to get up there, maybe with some control they could drop the overall price or charge a per day type thing for length of stay, they could also make the mugs work in the theme parks and waterparks as well, so you pay a $2 a day for unlimited soft drinks at the whole resort would be a much better deal than what we have now.

I highly doubt that this is the end of refillable mugs, just the end of a lot of the abuse of the system.

harryk

Never thought about soft drinks in the mugs. Have only used for coffee in the AM. And that is for all 3 of us.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom