The end for refillable mugs?

muteki

If they were still unique I would miss them more, but right now I could care less. We just get a case of soda on the way down or at the grocery store across the street and that works for us.

dreamfinder

Sounds like it is just an extension of the system in place at the water parks. A little more sophisticated and trackable yes, but nothing terribly earth shattering.

Is this that massive RFID push that was mentioned months ago? The one that would completely revolutionize the world? Is this it? Will the soda machine say my name instead of Peter Pan?

PurpleDragon

A simpler solution would be to insert RFID tags in the mugs themselves and have a system that allows that mug to be used for a certain time period. Like the paper (1 time use) cups have a 1 hour usage, and then the refillable mugs have a length of stay usage, once the usage limit has been reached the fountain will no longer dispense drink products when that mug/cup is placed under the fountain. They could be activated at the time of purchase and the time period could be coded into the system at that time. That would be the most simple solution to the whole theft/abuse of the open fountain drink stands.

Also I'm wondering if the "token based system" they are working on for food distribution is something like this:

FastFood.jpg

Dwarful

This is the one thing that concerns me:

"Using RFID with read/write capabilities, the system could also potentially record and limit the number of times a drink is refilled by a particular guest."

I would want to know the number of refills allowed per mug per day. I like a lot of ice...full to the top ice...so I can generally refill my cup 3 times in one meal. With the cup full of ice they don't hold all that much liquid.

I do understand the thinking for limiting the number of refills daily...we saw lots of people at the water parks who would buy one mug or one new sticker, scan it and then put other cups under the machine for refills...cups from home, Mc.D's, the other parks, etc.

This past Easter we were at Pop for a week and saw a group using the bright yellow mugs from Port Orleans/ Dixie Landings..some were so worn you couldn't tell they had been a Disney mug at all. There will always be people who try to beat the system.

This summer we are at Yacht Club and I am not sure if we will buy the mugs or not. It will probably be cheaper for us to just buy a drink when we want one just because the refills aren't as 'handy' at Yacht Club as they are at the Values.

harryk

Interesting stuff. Would eliminate the abuse of refilling mugs from 10 years ago.
The deal when we purchased our mugs was that they had unlimited refills and could be brought back year to year.
Then they changed the size of the mugs to the so-called auto mugs which fit in your automobile. These were only for length of stay.
If I bring my refillable mug I can only use it at the resort where I purchased it - not at other resorts.
If they change the policy they have sold me a mug (from 10 years ago) under false pretensions. Even though I only refill it once per day - the abuse is by WDW - not me - the end user.

196 to VWL :xmas::xmas:

PurpleDragon

The deal when we purchased our mugs was that they had unlimited refills and could be brought back year to year.
Then they changed the size of the mugs to the so-called auto mugs which fit in your automobile. These were only for length of stay.
If I bring my refillable mug I can only use it at the resort where I purchased it - not at other resorts.
If they change the policy they have sold me a mug (from 10 years ago) under false pretensions. Even though I only refill it once per day - the abuse is by WDW - not me - the end user.

196 to VWL :xmas::xmas:

Incorrect, the refillable mugs have always been for your length of stay only. I don't remember seeing anywhere where it said you could bring the mugs back for years to come for free refills. So that is an incorrect assumption on your part, so the abuse is by you and only you for assuming a $15 mug would get you free refills for life. :brick:

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
Cost of the technology implementation and running cost v cost of syrup lost to mug re-use.

Or has beverage fraud reached epidemic levels?

heartodisney

Interesting stuff, next year when we arrive, I hope to buy mugs for all of us and my sis's family also...so this in a way will affect us in some way, good or bad.

The "Pro"

Incorrect, the refillable mugs have always been for your length of stay only. I don't remember seeing anywhere where it said you could bring the mugs back for years to come for free refills. So that is an incorrect assumption on your part, so the abuse is by you and only you for assuming a $15 mug would get you free refills for life. :brick:

I agree with purpledragon. I don't recall ever hearing you could use mugs from previous trips.

PurpleDragon

Cost of the technology implementation and running cost v cost of syrup lost to mug re-use.

Or has beverage fraud reached epidemic levels?

Exactly!!!

Its all in the name of Disney's bottom line, if a one time expense will help their bottom line for future quarterly statements, then its justified. Even if its only a couple hundred dollars saved per quarter on syrup and CO2 refills. Go go corporate politics.:rolleyes:

Mouse Man

That Su_ _ S!, The DWF and I always get the mug with our package and we like the fact that while we are staying at our resort, we can go and get a nice drink or two and take it back to the pool at night time and chill or during the day when we want to do some things at the resort. I guess others do abuse this and the bottom lines affects people who like this and follow the rules. That is why I did like the mug changing each year because I felt it would stop people from doing this. But, I guess I have to come back to reality and see that this is not so.

harryk

Not true - purchased in 2001 at Roaring Forks, WL. This was the advertisement posted and many took advantage of it.

PurpleDragon

Not true - purchased in 2001 at Roaring Forks, WL. This was the advertisement posted and many took advantage of it.

Show me actual proof please. Your memory of a 9 year old event that may or may not have taken place is not proof.

There have been isolated instances in the past where CMs would incorrectly tell guests that the mugs were good for life, but to my knowledge it has never been officially posted by the Disney company that the mugs were good beyond your length of stay. People just assumed that was the case and abused the system.

cblodg

Show me actual proof please. Your memory of a 9 year old event that may or may not have taken place is not proof.

There have been isolated instances in the past where CMs would incorrectly tell guests that the mugs were good for life, but to my knowledge it has never been officially posted by the Disney company that the mugs were good beyond your length of stay. People just assumed that was the case and abused the system.
It was our understanding that once your trip was over you couldn't bring the mug back and use it again. I believe that's why they had resort and YEAR specific designs to the mugs. I distinctly remember being told by the cashier at the ASMo that the mug I was buying was only good at ASMo Resort and was only good for the time I was there.

Mouse Man

Hey PurpleDragon:

My understanding since I have been going to WDW with the DWF has been the mugs were good for the length of your current stay. Trust me if we were told that they were good for life, I never would buy another one or get a package that would include one. I totally agree with you about that.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom