The Enchanted Tiki Room is coming to the Magic Kingdom!

HMF

I understand things have to change, and usually I am one of the first to defend the changes, but I was just hoping for an acknowledgement from the Disney community of the underlying talent in UNM. Maybe they'll put the pre-show on a CD or something so we just don't lose it.

As far as I am concerned Disney should destroy anything and everything related to that abomination and pretend it never happened.

packwingfn

Having sat through 4 shows today with guests. The guests clapped after every song and everyone came out smiling and a lot of them were guests with 1st visit buttons.

TP2000

Awesome! And a little piece of Anaheim lands in Orlando, with wonderful effect.

I really love that they kept the original 1963 exit song in there for the new WDW version, as the lyrics to that are some of the funniest and most subversively rude in any Disney production. Set to the tune of "Hi Ho, Hi Ho", the exit lyrics are as follows;

Hi Ho, Hi Ho, it's out the door you go!
We hope you've all enjoyed the show, Hi Ho, Hi Ho
Hi Ho, Hi Ho, keep marching in a row
Hi Ho, Hi Ho, step lively not so slow!
We sing this song, you march along, Hi Ho, Hi Ho
Hi Ho, Hi Ho, No stopping in your row
Come back again, we'll see you then, Hi Ho, Hi Ho
Hi Ho, Hi Ho, make room for our next show
There's folks outside, go take a ride, Hi Ho, Hi Ho
Hi Ho, Hi Ho, it's out the door you go!
We hope you've all enjoyed the show, Hi Ho, Hi Ho!

If the hostess running the show said those words there'd be a line of complaints a mile long at City Hall, but those witty Imagineers back in 1963 put it into peppy lyrics and no one seems to notice! :lol:

pumpkin7

I agree people are too quick to hate on things around here.

I hope no-one took my post as hate for the new version. I have no judgement since I haven't been on it yet.

I am just surprised no-one feels even a tinge of sadness over the loss at least some of the aspects of UNM. I really liked the show. Maybe I just love Phil Hartman and Jerry Orbach too much.

the first thing i thought when i heard the preshow was 'oh, that's the guy who does the voice of troy mcclure on the simpsons'. i've just checked IMDB, i had no idea he had passed away.
i suppose the good thing is that there will always be a video for you to watch on youtube, and there's always a disney site that will have the full audio on for you.

still, glad to see a disney attraction that started out life as a fresh idea from walt, was saturated many years later by disney characters, and then had them removed after another extended period. so there is hope for all those character saturated attractions yet!
can't wait to see this when we go next. i can't remember the original, i was only little when it wasn't UNM.

packwingfn

Also every show reached capacity and there was people waiting by the turnstyles waiting to let them inside the pre-show area for the next show.

Jerm

Take that! those of you who think the show can no longer attract an audience.

In 3 weeks when summer is over and all the pass holders have seen the show and taped it 5 times over? It is going to be Capt Eo but without the MJ draw. I love the Tiki Room, but it is not meant to be a big draw, it is someplace to go when it is hot and the lines are all really long.

HMF

In 3 weeks when summer is over and all the pass holders have seen the show and taped it 5 times over? It is going to be Capt Eo but without the MJ draw. I love the Tiki Room, but it is not meant to be a big draw, it is someplace to go when it is hot and the lines are all really long.

acknowledged, but that does not take away it's charm and legacy

aladdin2007

Just curious is this video edited? Because in barely a second they went from singing in the tiki room to lets all sing like the birdies sing and the bird mobile had come down instantly.

gerryu21220

Just curious is this video edited? Because in barely a second they went from singing in the tiki room to lets all sing like the birdies sing and the bird mobile had come down instantly.

The videos were not edited (well, the one was, but it was relatively complete stitching two parts together between songs.)

The show has been cut to pieces! This is the "Reader's Digest" version, even shorter than the truncated Disneyland version. Nearly half of the show is gone! I'm ecstatic that it's back, but seriously disappointed with how short it is now. No more sing-along with the birdies, and half the Hawaiian War chant is missing. :(

aladdin2007

The videos were not edited (well, the one was, but it was relatively complete stitching two parts together between songs.)

The show has been cut to pieces! This is the "Reader's Digest" version, even shorter than the truncated Disneyland version. Nearly half of the show is gone!

Wow there are things missing aside from Offenbach for sure, but I cant recall what. Is there another song that was cut or something? It seems like they ditched several other segments. :shrug:

PalisadesPkteer

The show has been cut to pieces! This is the "Reader's Digest" version, even shorter than the truncated Disneyland version. Nearly half of the show is gone! I'm ecstatic that it's back, but seriously disappointed with how short it is now. No more sing-along with the birdies, and half the Hawaiian War chant is missing. :(

I looked at both DL and WDW versions on YouTube. This "new' version in WDW is 1:50 shorter than the DL version. The part were they have you sing with the birds is taken out and that is approx. 1:25. The Luah part is shorter by approx. :25 worth. The drum part etc is the same. So this "new" WDW version is almost 2 minutes shorter.

I know there appears to be shorter attention spans nowadays but did you need to cut 2 minutes off?

Know I will get flamed for providing the info above. Oh, well.

Anyway, I am thankfull (believe it or not) for this to be back and not having to endure UNM anymore. The only good part of UNM was the que.

aladdin2007

I looked at both DL and WDW versions on YouTube. This "new' version in WDW is 1:50 shorter than the DL version. The part were they have you sing with the birds is taken out and that is approx. 1:25. The Luah part is shorter by approx. :25 worth. The drum part etc is the same. So this "new" WDW version is almost 2 minutes shorter.

I know there appears to be shorter attention spans nowadays but did you need to cut 2 minutes off?
Know I will get flamed for providing the info above. Oh, well.

Anyway, I am thankfull (believe it or not) for this to be back and not having to endure UNM anymore. The only good part of UNM was the que.

Agreed it seems like it skips right over something and is very noticable, like when an old record skips. But, oh well at least its back in the original feel and theme. We were lucky to get what we got knowing TDO.

puntagordabob

I am really looking forward to tomorrow! Plan to be there for the 1st official showing.... any of you that will be there too if you see me Ill be wearing a shirt I originally wore for the first time in 2008 and I swore I would try to keep it around for as long as it took for TDO to bring the original show back as the shirt says to being "Under Walt's Management".... seems only fitting to wear it tomorrow! :)

As for the videos and such... and regarding the lack of a fountain.... Ill wait until I see it in person before passing an opinion.

We will be camping out the entrance after park opening for the 10am Tiki Room opening....would be nice if it opened at 9am but I suppose that is a long shot....either way we will be there waiting! :)

dxwwf3

Yes the video is edited there. I think about 10 seconds were cut out.

Skipper Dan

Forgive me for the 'blasphemy' that I am about to let slip from my lips...

Oh, yeah, that was an improvement! That's exactly what Walt wanted for his company, to take steps backward, not forward. That was his motto y'know,
'We'll continue to take steps backward, and the [Park] will get more smaller every year!' I mean it's obvious to anyone that's studied any on Walt's life that he hated moving forward, and progress. (Heavy sarcasm implied.)

Okay, so don't get me wrong y'all, I'm not a mean guy, and I do think that this show is... refreshing, and multiple times better than 'Under New Management,' but that's just because there was absolutely no creativity that went into that show. With the right amount of thought, that idea (incorporating Disney's major bird characters from their films) is actually a strong, and - for lack of a better word - obvious idea, that would've/could've blended in organically.

Sorry y'all, and yes, a What-Walt-Would-Do statement is coming... but seriously, we all know - somewhere deep down inside our souls - that Walt would be astonished that the parks have stayed the same as much as they have. Though, I do believe that he could justify it, because after all, he was 'the man,' and after he died, then what? But I do not believe that he could justify going from a new iteration of the Tiki Room, to an old one.

As a side-note, I say the same thing about him being able to justify the fact that we didn't continue with EPCOT, it was his baby. Though I do think he'd be a little ticked that we represent his 'baby' like we do, at the so-called Epcot that exists today.

Anyway, I just think taking a step backwards, and opening up an old version of an attraction, is against a major thing that Walt stood for... and that's progress.

I like the sign and logo though! :wave: :lol: :lookaroun

David S.

Fountain, no fountain...its the Tiki Room, does it really matter? In a month we'll never mention the attraction again. It had poor attendance before UNM, poor attendance after UNM and it will have poor attendance now. Its just not that great a show. Its original greatness was due to people seeing all the animatronics in one place for the first time. We now have Hall of Presidents, American Adventure, Pirates and so on and so on, so there really is no draw for this attraction other than nostalgia, and even at that its usually not worth the wait.

To each their own. I prefer it MUCH more than Hall Of Presidents, American Adventure, and Pirates, and for me it has NOTHING to do with nostalgia. It's because it is CUTE CUTE CUTE and gives me that "warm and fuzzy" HAPPY feeling that those other attractions don't. Singing along with lovable birdies is MUCH more fun for me than human pirates or, worse, boring politicians. Not much fantasy there! (Not to "diss" those other attractions, but just pointing out an obvious area it has more appeal than those others, since you seem to think it doesn't - having more fantasy and a higher "cuteness factor", which are actually the most important qualities I look for in a Disney attraction!)

For me, it's not about the technology or how "high tech" or "innovative" it is, it's about the concept and story; and the concept of cute singing birdies, flowers, and tikis blows those other concepts out of the water, for my taste. The original Tiki Room is in my Top 5 at MK and thank God (and yes, TDO ;) ) that it is FINALLY back!

The haters may not be thinking about it a month from now, but whenever I'm in the MK, it will be right up there with the Country Bears, Splash Mountain, and EVERYTHING in Fantasyland as my go-to favorites!

Attractions like the Tiki Room are the PRECISE things that draw me to the Disney Parks in the first place! Much more so than the more serious ones, or ones that have more "up to date technology", but less cuteness, charm, and critters.

You can't top singing critters. Ever! ;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom