The Creator Games!: An Imagineering Competition

MCParradox

Session 2 Sudden Death Challenge:

Wilderness Retreat:

Discovery%20Island%20Aerial.jpg

Discovery Island opened in 1974 as Treasure Island, and was a sanctuary for tropical wildlife such as birds, snakes and primates. Located in the middle of Bay Lake, between the Contemporary Resort, Wilderness Lodge, and Fort Wilderness, the island occupied a prime location, and was a popular draw for long-stay visitors who wanted more than just the Magic Kingdom. In 1998, following the opening of Animal Kingdom, attendance to the island began to dwindle, and it closed for good in 1999. The structures on the island stood abandoned for many years before Disney started to dismantle them a few years ago, but much of the original island still remains, buried under a thick layer of vegetation and dirt. In this project, I aim to revitalise this once thriving island, by adding new attractions that draw away from the original themes now represented at Animal Kingdom. And so I present, The Wilderness Retreat:

Magic-Kingdom-boat.jpg

For a small admission fee, guests can take a boat to visit Riles Island, home to the Wilderness Retreat. Boats depart from the TTC, Wilderness Lodge, and Fort Wilderness, and arrive at the original boat dock of Discovery Island, now named Riles Dock. From here, guests can explore the Wilderness Explorer Trails, earn their Wilderness Explorer Badges (unique badges not found in Animal Kingdom), grab a bite to eat at Idle Bay Imports, get supplies at Raz Mercantile, or visit the highlight of the island, Russel's Balloon Tour.

The island is no longer a sanctuary for tropical and exotic animals, but rather focuses on local Florida wildlife. On the Wilderness Exploration Trail, guests can expect to encounter alligators at Alligator Bend, and further along the trail in the many pastures and enclosures: bobcats, coyote, white-tailed and key deer, armadillos, opossums, cottontail and marsh rabbits, skunks, raccoons, river otters, gophers and squirrels. In the reptile house, guests can see snakes, lizards, frogs and geckos native to the area, and in the nearby turtle rehabilitation center, rescued sea turtles can be kept and restored to full health before they are released back into the ocean. The aviary on the south west coast of the island is home to many native birds, some kept in the spacious dome, and other more local birds free to fly where they wish, returning to the island only by choice. Just east of this, the aquarium is home to Floridian fish, rays, sharks, and invertebrates, and even encompasses Manatee Point, a safe haven for rescued manatees, relieving some of the strain on The Seas at Epcot, and allowing the creatures to be seen in a more natural habitat. The small insect house is also home to a colony of Cicadas, the large beetles responsible for Florida's signature chirping noise, among other local critters.

tCSjPr8.png

1. Riles Dock
  2. Idle Bay Imports
  3. Raz Mercantile
  4. Russel's Balloon Tours Station
  5. Wilderness Aquarium
  6. Manatee Center
  7. Sea Turtle Rehabilitation Center
  8. Reptile House
  9. Outback Snacks
  10. Insect House
  11. Riles Island Animal Hospital
Outlined in red is the route for Russel's Balloon tours.

035.jpg

Along the many paths of the Wilderness Exploration Trails, guests can visit the Wilderness Explorer locations. At these locations, a cast member will present the guest with a question, task or challenge which, when completed, will earn the guest a Wilderness Explorer Badge (sticker). This does not replace the current setup at Animal Kingdom, but is instead complimentary. Certain badges can only be found at Animal Kingdom, while certain others can only be found at Wilderness Retreat, so to collect a full set, guests must visit both parks.

4J8Jpbg.png

Russel's Balloon Tour is an educational suspended track ride, where the riders sit in a basket underneath a faux hot air balloon, travelling over most of the island, and even out over the water. On the ride, Russel (occasionally interrupted by Dug's amusing remarks) informs guests about the many animals in the enclosures below, some of which can be viewed from the Explorer Trails, others exclusive to the ride. Touch screen displays in the balloon basket allow the guests to find out more about the animals they are currently flying over, while the balloons gently rock and bob up and down to enhance the sensation of flight. The balloons travel through the thick forest, winding over the many paths and buildings, before they travel out over the open water of Bay Lake. Turning and returning to shore, the balloons enter a rocky canyon filled with mist, much like the one in the film the ride is based on (Up, for those who haven't figured it out yet :p), catching a glimpse of the Spirit of Adventure docked in Muntz's cave (using forced perspective to make it appear larger than it actually is), and then passing Kevin. As Kevin flees into the forest, the balloons follow, returning to the station at Riles Dock. Aside from this brief scene at the end, this ride, and the rest of the island, retains a factual and educational nature, albeit dressed up with an island retreat theme.

Uogsv7E.png

Back at Riles Dock, there are four main buildings. The first is the dock itself, where visitors first arrive on the island, and where they will later depart from. North west of the dock is Idle Bay Imports, a dining location with seating out over the water. The building is expanded from the original explorer's outpost building, and serves both traditional theme park fare, and more aquatic offerings such as shrimp, clam, and scampi. To the south of the dock is Raz Mercantile, the island's main gift shop, selling island and wildlife styled attire, and some items based on the movie "Up". Then, south west of the dock, dead ahead as you arrive on the island, is the entrance building for Russel's Balloon Tours. Further back on the Wilderness Exploration Trail, the Outback Snacks location has been reopened, offering light snacks and drinks to keep visitors going.

For an idea of some of the animals featured in this park, please visit the following site: http://myfwc.com/wildlifehabitats/profiles/

Easter Egg: Wondering where the names of the locations come from? Look up the history of Discovery Island, before it was bought up by Disney! :p

Flippin'Flounder

This was done on my phone, so formatting and grammar is probably bad. Also this is the second part, the first part will be up shortly.

Interior

The new Odyssey has white walls white a blue and white checkered floors (small tiles) Around the restaurant there are TVs set up that showcase the newest in technology (Apple Watch, Oculus Rift, etc.) through pictures to avoid the need for sound, as well as pictures of classic EPCOT Center Future World Attractions (Wonders of Life, The Living Seas, etc.) and finally a " What's in the Works" section, showcasing concept art for the next Future World attraction(s) (Who am I kidding, there's never going to be more than one being built at a time) At random, some of the characters featured on the menu come out and interact with guests. There would be booths that have blue cushions and a white table with a blue trim, as well as square tables with white chairs with a lye cushion.

Exterior

The exterior will get repainted with whites and blue accents. Limiting seating will be available outside. Round tables with blue and white umbrellas on the lakeside. (Think Casey's Corner) The tables would be round versions of the indoor ones. This is great viewing for Illuminations: Reflections of Earth.

My goal for this was to bring back the Odyssey, while making something Disney would go for today. I think this is more what goes on today, bringing characters in EPCOT. It's not necessarily what anyone would like, but it is much more likely.

DinoInstitute

Original Poster
Edit: Abolished

The MyExtension+ Program ;)

What is it?

From this moment forward, each contestant will be granted a total of 4 extension hours that can be used for any and all challenges to extend your due dates.

How does it work?
If you know you need extra time to meet a challenge deadline, you can extend your own deadline up until 4 hours after the original time. But be aware that if you use all of your extension hours in one challenge, you must turn in every other project on time from that point forward. That is why it's recommended that you use your extension hours wisely.

For example:
The due date for a challenge is 8pm. Person A knows he/she needs more time, and decides to turn in the project at 10pm. Person A will use 2 out of 4 extension hours. However, Person B needs even more time and decides to submit it at 12 midnight. Person B will have used all of the assigned extension hours and will now have to submit on-time from there on out. At the next challenge, if it is due at 8pm again, Person A can submit it by 10pm.

Other things to know?
These extension hours can be used up until Session 8. You also don't have to use the extension hours if you can post your concepts on time. In fact, we encourage that you try to post on time, and don't use these hours just to try and combat someone else's project. There may or may not be a reward in Session 9 for those of you who save all four and make it there....;)

Why do this?
We want to be fair to everyone. That has always been our goal from the start. But there is a fine line between fairness and strictness sometimes. While there are due dates for a reason and we really should respect those times, we also respect that this is not anyone's occupation. It's their hobby, which is under the control of your available free-time.

Final Note:
We hope this is beneficial to everyone and if there are any questions feel free to PM the hosts. Thank you!

Last edited:

Flippin'Flounder

Odyssey Restaurant

Today we had to bring a space that sits unused in WDW and bring it back to life. When I think about unused spaces, I think of Epcot. Today I will bring the Odyssey back to its former glory.

Menu

The Odyssey will serve basic, quick service food such as from their favorite characters

Mickey’s Hamburger

Donald’s Cheeseburger

Goofy’s Hot Dog

Stitch’s Chili Dog

Minnie’s Chicken Caesar Wrap

Daisy’s Signature Salad

Chip’s Grilled Cheese

Dale’s Ham and Cheese

(Each of the Buns or bread will have a burnt logo of the character in the like this)

Ordering

After your party orders, you will get a tracker like the rose at BoG, (Unless you have a Magic Band, in which case you scan that instead) that is shaped like Mickey Mouse.

ScorpionX

The Galactic Cabaret

plecturendering.jpg

Going into what was once the Tomorrowland Theater is an out-of-this world musical spectacular hosted by none other than P.T. Quantum. The newest experience in the Magic Kingdom's Tomorrowland, The Galactic Cabaret is based of the scrapped Plectu's Fantastic Intergalactic Revue concept for Disneyland.

Entering the theater, you see a very lavish lobby, combining the art-deco of the 20s and 30s with the NEw Tomorrowland (1994) motif. Adorning the walls are posters for such acts as "Mysteria the Magnificent", one of the galaxy's most talented magicians, and "Dr. Doodad and his Duds", a garage band from the planet Zork. To your right, you may see Security Officer Xyzzy sleeping in his booth with a half-eaten box of donuts. On the other side of the lobby is Garz, who manages the concession stand.

amc-pacific-place-cinema-hong-kong-another-cybertecture-marvel.jpeg

A cast members informs us it's showtime, and we enter the theater. It's a grand theater, one fit for a galactic emperor? Columns soar to the heavens, decorated with the god of extraterrestrial civilizations. At our level is a sea of seats, ready to accommodate the next set of guests. Getting seated, you may hear the voices of the aliens backstage getting ready.

A few minutes later, the lights go down. A light shines center stage, revealing an audio-animatronic of P.T. Quantum, our master of ceremonies. "Welcome! Welcome!" he proclaims. "The Galactic Cabaret, or should I say, my Galactic Cabaret has been a roaring success for generations. In fact, I remember vividly the night we premiered, all those decades ago. It was a night much like this. The audience was a who's who of the intergalactic elite. The stakes were high. Millions upon millions of credits were poured into the production. Many of us, mostly I, feared we'd go broke. But alas, our performers wowed the audience so much we were saved. That feeling, that high, is what I want to relive tonight, so sit back, relax, and enjoy the show!"

A Muppet Show theme-like fanfare plays for the opening number, which basically sums up how acts from around the galaxy have come together for P.T. Quantum's newest production.

The following acts perform in the show:
  • Ulysses the Great, an alien trainer who kidnaps Earthlings (humans) and makes them do silly tricks (think the kind you'd see a seal or a clown do)
  • Mysteria the Magnificent, a fine magician who cast spells upon the theater, causing glow-in-the-dark, water sprinkles, and bubble effects
  • Narf, Darf, and Barf, a comedy trio, much like the Three Stooges, who perform a series of slapstick routines
  • C-15 Baldini, a big band singer based on a mix the Rat Pack members
  • Dr. Doodad and his Duds, the previously mentioned garageband that performs a song from their "totally wicked mixtape that, like, the entire galaxy's gonna buy!"
A conclusion act is then performed, as all previous acts come together for a "Thanks for coming" song of sorts. P.T. Quantum reappears and says, "Well, I've got all your money, and you apparently enjoyed the show. Now scram! I don't want to push back the next performance!"

spacemt354

Chili's
Session 2: Operation Rejuvenation
Sudden Death Challenge Reviews/
Judgement

To the four of you...Despite being under such high pressure and being given a difficult task, you all did a great job creating a nice concept for each area! Unfortunately, two of your must be eliminated. We will now go through all four proposals and the results:

@ctxak98
Really nice idea! At first, it seemed like you were making it too similar to the land, but when you went into the weather/astronomy aspects, it got really unique! Overall, the map isn't highly artistically detailed, but it is still nice and gives a good visual about how it is set up. Simple is sometimes all we need. However, you also made some other art in the project, which turned out really nice. A little more description on the facade, or even just a picture of the current building, would have helped to know how it would look different. The attractions themselves are well done, and for sure things we would like to ride! Overall, there were a few flaws in the project, but you did a great job developing a concept for this challenge!

@MCParradox
Very cool! The theme of Wilderness Retreat is a unique experience that is unlike other theme park experiences, however, tying it close to an IP could be controversial. You continue to outdo yourself with amazing art! The map, looks very professional, and the art depicting the island looks like real concept art! Certainly picking up on some of the easter eggs and references...Very nice and fun! The Russel's Balloon tour is a very unique touch to the island! Overall, you did a great job with this task! You created a solid concept and described it to us beautifully.

@2001DISNEYLIFE
Very Interesting idea to go with the Odyssey! This spot is more often overlooked than some places like WoL, etc. The realistic approach was very nice but with it, comes some consequences. You did a good job of making a realistic menu, but on the other hand, it feels a bit uninspired. Some more unique options could have helped. In addition, very nice details about new decoration! There were a few grammatical errors and all, but you explained that;) If you went into some more detail about the dining aspects this could have been even better! Overall, you did a great and unique job of creating something for a "wasted" space, but a bit more could have been done with this concept.

@ScorpionX
Very good idea! Was your idea in Disneyland? Isn't the Tomorrowland Theater called the Galaxy Palace Theater in the Magic Kingdom? We were just confused on the title. Anyway, it's a very interesting idea, but it could have been elaborated more as to what the purpose of the show was to fit the concept of Tomorrowland. You had mentioned the decor would resemble the New Tomorrowland 1994, but something a bit more unique may have helped. The attraction description itself was very good though. It would be pretty cool to see this in reality. Ultimately it was a good project but we will see how it holds up to the tough competition.​

Final Standings:
1. @MCParradox - You had a great concept and a very unique location, and created something that would make an excellent day at WDW!
2. @ctxak98 - You too had a great concept, perhaps our favorite out of all four, but minor flaws in the proposal pushed it down a bit.
3. @ScorpionX - We liked the concept but a little more elaboration on the purpose and design of the attraction could have helped.
4. @2001DISNEYLIFE - We liked where you were going with this concept, though it just wasn't all there and needed some more work.

@ScorpionX and @2001DISNEYLIFE , unfortunately, you two had the bottom two proposals. That said, you both are now eliminated from The Creator Games. You both each are incredibly talented, but we found ourselves this season with such a strong pool of competitors all around, creating some really tough competition. And don't worry, in the Creator Games, there is always something for Imagineers to do. So please continue to follow along, because there will be another challenge coming for you and for all very soon. :)

With that, we are now down to 14 contestants. This sure has been quite an interesting and surprising session with great challenge proposals, so hopefully that's a good sign of things to come! And now, we hereby conclude Session 2 of the Creator Games!​

Last edited:

spacemt354

Chili's
Session 3: An Island of Discovery
Session 3 Opening

Welcome, welcome everyone to the third session of The Creator Games! After our first elimination, 14 of you remain in this competition.
The contestants competing in this session:

@Vipraa - 4 ME+ Hours
@RMichael21 - 4 ME+ Hours 1, AoI Reward- Poison Apple
@jdmdisney99 - 4 ME+ Hours
@JokersWild - 4 ME+ Hours
@DisneyPrincess1993 - 4 ME+ Hours, 1 CC Win
@InfiniteRightEar97 - 4 ME+ Hours, 1 CC Win
@Matt7187 - 4 ME+ Hours
@Brer Panther - 4 ME+ Hours
@TheOriginalTiki - 4 ME+ Hours
@orlando678- - 4 ME+ Hours
@Darth_Disney - 4 ME+ Hours
@tcool - 4 ME+ Hours
@MCParradox - 4 ME+ Hours, 1 CC Win
@ctxak98 - 4 ME+ Hours

Soon, the next session will be in full swing and your challenge will begin. Once again, you will be working in teams, though in a slightly different way...I'll leave you with that ;)
Good luck to all in this session!

spacemt354

Chili's
Session 3: An Island of Discovery
Concept Creation Challenge

Welcome to perhaps the biggest and most daunting challenge yet. For this challenge, we need you to look back at an old attraction of WDW - Discovery Island. You will be tasked with using this old and abandoned island to create a brand new experience at WDW. It can be anything you want - whether golf course, adventure course, a dining/shopping district, perhaps even a park/resort, or something else that would be a unique addition to WDW. Remember, WDW attractions aren't just about rides and shows.

For this challenge, you will work in TWO TEAMS OF 7. How will these teams be split up? For winning the CC challenge last session,@DisneyPrincess1993 and @InfiniteRightEar97 now have the advantage of drafting their own teams. Because she had a higher ranking that @InfiniteRightEar97 in Session 1, @DisneyPrincess1993 will pick first, and then they will go back and forth until the teams are created.

Please respond as soon as possible and please select the teams in The Creator Games Discussion Thread

These two members will be "team leaders" and these will be your teams for the foreseeable future.

This challenge is due Sunday, May 17th, at 7:00 PM EST. There are no limits in terms of text or picture amount, and feel free to use videos/websites.

In addition, we are pushing you to include some more "realistic" elements to your projects.

In your proposals, please include the following:
-What are construction timelines?
-How do people get to the island?
-Any ties to MM+?
-And lastly, remember, the board won't approve something crazy expensive or something that doesn't take into account real life circumstances, but they also won't approve of something that isn't still amazing and holds true Disney magic

If @RMichael21 would like to use his reward, once the teams are created, you have 12 hours to decide whether or not to sabotage the other team.

That's all...You may begin in a team PM we will create once the teams are decided on. Good luck!

Last edited:

spacemt354

Chili's
Teams have been decided. Infinite, your team was chosen for you based on Session 1 standings. So for each pick, you were given the highest ranked player from Session 1 that was still left. And the selection process alternated between DisneyPrincess and yourself until each team had 7 contestants.

You should all have a Team PM now. Congratulations and enjoy working with each other!

Last edited:

DinoInstitute

Original Poster
Alright guys, new announcement. As you know, over the past few days we have been trying to find the best way to solve the potential issue of people being busy or having an emergency, while also staying fair to all contestants. After further review and input from contestants, we felt that our recently proposed system was just too complicated and not really a great system.
The MyExtension+ Program ;)

What is it?

From this moment forward, each contestant will be granted a total of 4 extension hours that can be used for any and all challenges to extend your due dates.

How does it work?
If you know you need extra time to meet a challenge deadline, you can extend your own deadline up until 4 hours after the original time. But be aware that if you use all of your extension hours in one challenge, you must turn in every other project on time from that point forward. That is why it's recommended that you use your extension hours wisely.

For example:
The due date for a challenge is 8pm. Person A knows he/she needs more time, and decides to turn in the project at 10pm. Person A will use 2 out of 4 extension hours. However, Person B needs even more time and decides to submit it at 12 midnight. Person B will have used all of the assigned extension hours and will now have to submit on-time from there on out. At the next challenge, if it is due at 8pm again, Person A can submit it by 10pm.

Other things to know?
These extension hours can be used up until Session 8. You also don't have to use the extension hours if you can post your concepts on time. In fact, we encourage that you try to post on time, and don't use these hours just to try and combat someone else's project. There may or may not be a reward in Session 9 for those of you who save all four and make it there....;)

Why do this?
We want to be fair to everyone. That has always been our goal from the start. But there is a fine line between fairness and strictness sometimes. While there are due dates for a reason and we really should respect those times, we also respect that this is not anyone's occupation. It's their hobby, which is under the control of your available free-time.

Final Note:
We hope this is beneficial to everyone and if there are any questions feel free to PM the hosts. Thank you!
This revised rule will give you just one forgiveness. If you have an emergency and you can't submit on time, just let us know ahead of time, as much ahead as possible, and we will allow you to submit up to 2 hours past the due time. However, this is just one chance to do this, you cannot use it every challenge. You have only one forgiveness for posting late.

Hopefully that'll just simplify it all, and make it really just a back-up in case of an emergency.

Matt7187

Alright guys, new announcement. As you know, over the past few days we have been trying to find the best way to solve the potential issue of people being busy or having an emergency, while also staying fair to all contestants. After further review and input from contestants, we felt that our recently proposed system was just too complicated and not really a great system.

This revised rule will give you just one forgiveness. If you have an emergency and you can't submit on time, just let us know ahead of time, as much ahead as possible, and we will allow you to submit up to 2 hours past the due time. However, this is just one chance to do this, you cannot use it every challenge. You have only one forgiveness for posting late.

Hopefully that'll just simplify it all, and make it really just a back-up in case of an emergency.
Will there still be an advantage if it is not used?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom