The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

MySmallWorldof4

Speaking of bad news.. my cochlear implant went kapoof and I'm kinda worried.
I'm hoping its only a broken cable or coil, which is under guarantee and is less than 500 $USD in costs.
What worries me is the possibility that the inside implant is damaged. That would mean 30,000$ to 50,000$ USD D:
Oh no. Sending prayers that it is the cheaper problem.
Must be a bad week. The server for my husbands office died. He runs 10 computers off of it. It may be over 15k to fix and this after being closed for almost 3 months.

Cesar R M

Because if something can go wrong in 2020, it does.
yeah, getting a case of murphy's law.

If you want to consider having it done in Mexico it's around $22K. Mexico also caters to AZ, TX,CA residents who want surgeries done across the border.
I got mine in Mexico and it was 1.25 million pesos when the USD was 18. The USD is right now at 22.50 pesos per USD.
Hence why the figure is now in the 30k to 50k range.
Anyway the scary part is not the surgery price.
Is that if they have to remove my current implant. That means destroying my entire inner hear again (wont be able to get another implant there as far I know). Will need to get an implant on the other side. Which means if there is ever a solution to regrow my inner cochlea with a different technique. I'm SOL on both sides.

MySmallWorldof4

yeah, getting a case of murphy's law.

I got mine in Mexico and it was 1.25 million pesos when the USD was 18. The USD is right now at 22.50 pesos per USD.
Hence why the figure is now in the 30k to 50k range.
Anyway the scary part is not the surgery price.
Is that if they have to remove my current implant. That means destroying my entire inner hear again (wont be able to get another implant there as far I know). Will need to get an implant on the other side. Which means if there is ever a solution to regrow my inner cochlea with a different technique. I'm SOL on both sides.
Oh gosh Cesar, I really hope that everything will be ok. Do you have an appointment to figure out the problem?

Cesar R M

Oh gosh Cesar, I really hope that everything will be ok. Do you have an appointment to figure out the problem?
Thats the problem. My doctor is in Houston.
I'm going to try the new cable that they shipped to Houston, my cousin will send it to me in Mexico
If that doesn't solve the problem. Will probably have to go and book a stay. I just hope they do not close Texas (which will most likely happen).

The bad part is, as time progresses.. the nerves start to feel numb for not hearing.
And then I will start getting dizzyness and problems with balance. (not fun).

MySmallWorldof4

Thats the problem. My doctor is in Houston.
I'm going to try the new cable that they shipped to Houston, my cousin will send it to me in Mexico
If that doesn't solve the problem. Will probably have to go and book a stay. I just hope they do not close Texas (which will most likely happen).

The bad part is, as time progresses.. the nerves start to feel numb for not hearing.
And then I will start getting dizzyness and problems with balance. (not fun).
I hope you can have it overnighted and get it tomorrow. I also pray that the cable is the problem.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
I'm hoping its only a broken cable or coil, which is under guarantee and is less than 500 $USD in costs.
What worries me is the possibility that the inside implant is damaged. That would mean 30,000$ to 50,000$ USD D:

Oh no. I hope it is the cheaper possibility. How will you find out? Don’t you normally go to Houston for that stuff? (I see you answered that already). Hopefully the cable comes quickly.

Songbird76

Why isn't the whole thing under warranty? Or insurance?

Cesar R M

I do not know yet, I'm going to try the cable as soon It arrives. If not, I will have to make an emergency appointment.
But it will also depend if Houston remains open.
My cousin (who is american), says that they are planning on shutting down Houston because of the idiocy of people congregating like nothing happened and the infection rate being skyhigh.

Cesar R M

Why isn't the whole thing under warranty? Or insurance?
Insurance works differently in Mexico, plus its considered "precondition". As I lost my hearing when I was 10.
The implant had a guarantee of 10 years. I think I'm already past 20 years (I got it in my early 20's . I'm 37 now)
The only parts that you can buy extended guarantee are the processor, coil cable, rechargeable battery and coil.

Rista1313

@Cesar R M I'm having nightmares from my IT days...
View attachment 483473

Usually once a year my department participates in United Way day with a company that recycles computer components called Comp Renew... we got in there, and take apart palettes of computers... take everything out and separate it into bins. I can tell you how many of these gross things I've seen.

StarWarsGirl

Usually once a year my department participates in United Way day with a company that recycles computer components called Comp Renew... we got in there, and take apart palettes of computers... take everything out and separate it into bins. I can tell you how many of these gross things I've seen.
That was part of my job when I was in IT, except it was more like every week. And I'd get ones back from the warehouses that were absolutely disgusting.

This one was my favorite. It was "dropped". We have different theories as to where it was dropped from: off a helicopter, the Bay Bridge, the Empire State Building...
FB_IMG_1594665684612.jpg

MinnieM123

Premium Member
I do not know yet, I'm going to try the cable as soon It arrives. If not, I will have to make an emergency appointment.
But it will also depend if Houston remains open.
My cousin (who is american), says that they are planning on shutting down Houston because of the idiocy of people congregating like nothing happened and the infection rate being skyhigh.

Oh my God, Cesar. So sorry to hear that your cochlear implant is not working now. I pray for a solution for you that will fix it, and not cost you a fortune as well. :(

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom