The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

Songbird76

No. The locals are not being destructive. Our protesters are peaceful. We have had an influx of out-of-towners that are coming in and wreaking havoc. They're starting fires and busting windows and shooting fireworks at the cops. Over 90% of the arrests made have been non-locals. Groups of people traveling here to cause destruction and tension.

Our local protesters have been peaceful. Our police,... maybe another story.
I think that's kind of across the board. I suspect most of the protesters are actually peaceful. The ones looting and plundering are opportunists who are just using the protests as a sort of cover. I don't think most of them are with the movement. There are probably a few who are just raging and who don't know how to express themselves in a meaningful way and so take their lead from the wrong group, but I don't think that's the majority. I could be wrong.

Songbird76

We went to the dentist this morning and the poor girl kept forgetting that she wasn't supposed to remove her mask after the exam. I didn't realize how hard it must be for doctors and the like to keep their masks on because they're so used to wearing them, and then pulling them down to talk to people

Agreed. We've taken A to a couple protests over the years because the exposure is good for her and I think it's important for her to see the community come together. BUT if there are any signs of civil unrest, we're for sure not going. Watching the live streams last night in Columbus was terrifying. People were trapped and separated from their groups. Police were liberally spraying pepper spray and wooden bullets. Who in their right mind would bring a kid to that?!
But were they pepper spraying peaceful protesters? Or just the people rioting?

Goofyernmost

I think that's kind of across the board. I suspect most of the protesters are actually peaceful. The ones looting and plundering are opportunists who are just using the protests as a sort of cover. I don't think most of them are with the movement. There are probably a few who are just raging and who don't know how to express themselves in a meaningful way and so take their lead from the wrong group, but I don't think that's the majority. I could be wrong.
From the top down they have been lumped together even though it is just a ploy. Pepper spray does not have the ability to know the bad guys from the good guys, so if you are in the area you will be sprayed. Sadly no one is trying not to hit them with it.

I'd just like to say one thing! Protesters and Looters are two different sets of people. Let's not lump people that sincerely want to see this country put back on the right path, with those that will take advantage of it for destructive purposes or political purposes, or both. They are the bad guys, not the ones that want peace and harmony back like it was when this country really was great.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
At our Monday morning Zoom office meeting we were told that we’ve still got work pilin’ up. It’s so crazy how through all of this, we still have so much work. Even in our commercial dept., where things slowed down a bit, it’s picked back up. Feelin’ sooo very grateful and blessed...!!!!! :happy::)

No big surprise. After all, word of your employment there has been circulating among the movers and shakers in the Texas community for years now. Wealthy people spend their money only on the best of the best! :happy:

FutureCEO

Thought I'd mention that according to the news here this morning, there will be a medicine/vaccine against Covid-19 within 6 months. A dutch team researched and created it, tested it and it works. It's being developed in the US by a pharmaceutical company, but they won't say which one. But the head of the team of scientists that created it said it should be available in 5-6 months and can be used to treat people who already have it, AND as a preventative. So I thought that was really good news, and being from the Netherlands, I wasn't sure if people in the rest of the world had heard about it yet, so I wanted to share.

There's about one trillion vaccine studies going on so I'll believe it when I see it.

Songbird76

From the top down they have been lumped together even though it is just a ploy. Pepper spray does not have the ability to know the bad guys from the good guys, so if you are in the area you will be sprayed. Sadly no one is trying not to hit them with it.

I'd just like to say one thing! Protesters and Looters are two different sets of people. Let's not lump people that sincerely want to see this country put back on the right path, with those that will take advantage of it for destructive purposes or political purposes, or both. They are the bad guys, not the ones that want peace and harmony back like it was when this country really was great.
Like I said, the people doing the looting are not the protesters. They are just using the protests as a cover. While everyone is distracted, they go plundering and then blame it on the protesters.

brifraz

Marching along...
Premium Member
Yes, I followed along with your TR from your trip to WDW. I think it was yours anyway....did your daughter celebrate her birthday at the same time and your wife went along as a chaperone? I can't imagine taking a group that large....you must be very patient!

yup, that was us. It was a bit frustrating at times, but overall a positive experience. And with how the end of this school year has turned out, I’m even more glad we did it - gives those kids something positive to remember a year with a lot of negatives.

Rista1313

Can't blame her. Maybe she's had enough of us?! ;) (I've also had enough of me, anyway, but I can't ever seem to control my shenanigans. :p )

I'm guessing maybe the conversation is starting to lean towards political, and she doesn't want to engage and I don't blame her. I posted about the riots, fires, and destruction here in GR on my facebook page, and someone tried to call me out for not posted about being outraged about the actual issue. I said, "Thanks for stopping by, and for the record, I don't have to justify to you or anyone else what I chose to post or not post about"

Some people!

DryerLintFan

Premium Member

Well....... our police did much better yesterday, but the last few days they've been pepper spraying peaceful protesters. Like... some were even spraying people just minding their own business walking down the sidewalk obviously not a part of anything.

Last night though, with thousands in the streets peacefully protesting, our cops showed up in normal patrol clothes/equipment and walked with the protesters. No violence. No destruction. Just people walking. Police broke it up almost an hour past curfew with pepper spray and police cruisers, which is fine. There were a couple agitators in the crowd but the crowd shut them down. There's responsibility on all sides to maintain order, and everyone did a good job of it last night.

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
The weather is supposed to be amazing this weekend. I have no will to work this week. I just want to be outside in this weather, enjoying life. Wish I was old enough to retire :hilarious: :hilarious:

So far we haven't run our AC yet, so that's been a success! I'm trying to decide what to do about this weekend though. It's supposed to get pretty warm, but A and I are heading to the lake. So I'm not sure if I want to rely on the AC to keep the house cool, or try to cool the house down enough to sleep between the time we get home and bedtime.

I don't feel comfortable leaving all the main floor windows open when the car won't be in the driveway. But I can run the fans upstairs to help. Thoughts?

MySmallWorldof4

*Flips freshly cut hair in air*
I learned that my oldest and I make a good haircutting team. We cut the two younger girls hair. Youngest dd has been stepping on her hair doing tumbling, and with tryouts for cheer this weekend, I decided that a cut could not wait months which looks like that will be the case considering hairdressers are still not supposed to open where I am. My 12 year olds hair was down her backside, so pretty long as well. All in all the cuts came out way better and perfect. I did a much better job then I did on my own hair when I was 5. 😉

MySmallWorldof4

The weather is supposed to be amazing this weekend. I have no will to work this week. I just want to be outside in this weather, enjoying life. Wish I was old enough to retire :hilarious: :hilarious:

So far we haven't run our AC yet, so that's been a success! I'm trying to decide what to do about this weekend though. It's supposed to get pretty warm, but A and I are heading to the lake. So I'm not sure if I want to rely on the AC to keep the house cool, or try to cool the house down enough to sleep between the time we get home and bedtime.

I don't feel comfortable leaving all the main floor windows open when the car won't be in the driveway. But I can run the fans upstairs to help. Thoughts?
We haven’t run AC yet either. It has been cool at night. I would not leave your windows open on the main floor. Heat rises so maybe open an upper floor window? Or set the AC to go on when then temp reaches 80 in the house. This is assuming you have central.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom