The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

21stamps

I finally had my Jeep tops switched out for the summer. It’s cooler out today, but wanted to put the top at least halfway down, while blaring the heat at the same time.lol

Anyway, I got home a little bit ago and took T out for ice cream, Earth Song came on, we’re both singing along, and then the loud part comes,. I turn it up, am singling loudly, totally chair dancing in my seat, complete with the “Woo’s” and my arm going up, timed to the Woo. Meanwhile, T is in the backseat yelling at me that I’m embarrassing him. He’s ducking down and behind the side of the soft top.. he says

“This is so embarrassing! You’re an old woman! Stop, mom. Stop!! People are looking at us!”

“I don’t care. I’m having fun.”

“mooooommmmmmmmm stahhhhhhhhhhhhpppp!”

“Ok, now you have to dance, sing, and Woo too., or, no Switch time today. I’ll rewind so we can do it again.”

“Oh my gosh. No! Mom. No! This is humiliating. You can’t make that rule.”

“I just did. Now, here we go. “

“No.”

“I’m pausing the song until you do it T.”

“Stahhhhppp”

“now, T. Come on.”

“ugh you’re the worst mom ever.”

But he did it. And we cracked up laughing both during and after.

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

epcotisbest

We are going to Unicoi State Park. The town of Helen looks super cute, though we won’t be out in it., I think it will still be pretty to drive thru while we’re there.

Unicoi is a a great park. I have camped there many times. Be sure to go up to Anna Ruby Falls while there. And, be sure to visit Helen and walk around. Helen was a sleepy little mountain town that was transformed into a Bavarian themed village many years ago when the town leaders wanted a way to get some of the tourist business to stop in on their way on up to the higher mountains.
Are you camping at Unicoi or staying at the lodge?
I have some recommendations for things to see and do if you are interested. Of course, you need to let T float down the river on an inner tube float if you have the time.

21stamps

Unicoi is a a great park. I have camped there many times. Be sure to go up to Anna Ruby Falls while there. And, be sure to visit Helen and walk around. Helen was a sleepy little mountain town that was transformed into a Bavarian themed village many years ago when the town leaders wanted a way to get some of the tourist business to stop in on their way on up to the higher mountains.
Are you camping at Unicoi or staying at the lodge?
I have some recommendations for things to see and do if you are interested. Of course, you need to let T float down the river on an inner tube float if you have the time.

We are staying in a “barrel cabin”...though I’ve been debating if the lodge would be better, just so I can have a front desk to ask advice.

I called yesterday, sounds like most recreational activities are closed, but the bikes are open..from a rental a couple miles away. I don’t have a bike rack, so I’m not sure if we’ll be able to do bike trails from the rental place. Do you know?

I would love and appreciate any tips or recommendations on anything that you think we should do!

We’re leaving here Saturday night for a Sunday morning arrival. Only staying 2 nights.

epcotisbest

We are staying in a “barrel cabin”...though I’ve been debating if the lodge would be better, just so I can have a front desk to ask advice.

I called yesterday, sounds like most recreational activities are closed, but the bikes are open..from a rental a couple miles away. I don’t have a bike rack, so I’m not sure if we’ll be able to do bike trails from the rental place. Do you know?

I would love and appreciate any tips or recommendations on anything that you think we should do!

We’re leaving here Saturday night for a Sunday morning arrival. Only staying 2 nights.

The barrel cabins are wonderful. I love them mainly because they are so different and rustic. Now, if you don't like different and rustic, the lodge is a more comfortable, more hotel like experience, but why go to the North Georgia mountains for a hotel like experience when you can stay in a barrel?
How much time you have will make a difference on my recommendations. If only a short time, by all means go to Anna Ruby. Eat at Paul's Steak House, go to Betty's Country Store for groceries and supplies, North Georgia BBQ for some good que. Hofer's Bakery has lots of good choices.
There are some candy shops, and of course t-shirt shops, but some more unusual offerings too, but I don't know how much is open right now. Georgia is supposed to be loosening travel restrictions.
If you have time to explore more, north of Helen is one of our favorite restaurants I think is worth the drive, The Dillard House, where you are served all you can eat southern cooking family style by the bowl full. They have a good breakfast too. On the way to Dillard, you can visit Moccasin Creek State Park, our favorite campground. It is small and right on beautiful Lake Burton. Worth a drive to Moccasin Creek even if you don't have time for Dillard.
If you do have time, north of Dillard is a beautiful town in NC, Highlands, which is a great place to visit and there are several great waterfalls there including one called Dry Falls that you can walk behind. Dry Falls is one of our favorites in this whole area and the drive there is wonderful.

epcotisbest

Is this one nearby as well? We love waterfalls too... especially when we can hike to them. We found a few surprise waterfalls while on a hike a couple of weeks ago!

No, Highlands is about 50 miles from Helen, but well worth the drive, unless you are short on time, then maybe save that area for another visit and enjoy Helen during a short trip.

21stamps

The barrel cabins are wonderful. I love them mainly because they are so different and rustic. Now, if you don't like different and rustic, the lodge is a more comfortable, more hotel like experience, but why go to the North Georgia mountains for a hotel like experience when you can stay in a barrel?
How much time you have will make a difference on my recommendations. If only a short time, by all means go to Anna Ruby. Eat at Paul's Steak House, go to Betty's Country Store for groceries and supplies, North Georgia BBQ for some good que. Hofer's Bakery has lots of good choices.
There are some candy shops, and of course t-shirt shops, but some more unusual offerings too, but I don't know how much is open right now. Georgia is supposed to be loosening travel restrictions.
If you have time to explore more, north of Helen is one of our favorite restaurants I think is worth the drive, The Dillard House, where you are served all you can eat southern cooking family style by the bowl full. They have a good breakfast too. On the way to Dillard, you can visit Moccasin Creek State Park, our favorite campground. It is small and right on beautiful Lake Burton. Worth a drive to Moccasin Creek even if you don't have time for Dillard.
If you do have time, north of Dillard is a beautiful town in NC, Highlands, which is a great place to visit and there are several great waterfalls there including one called Dry Falls that you can walk behind. Dry Falls is one of our favorites in this whole area and the drive there is wonderful.

Do you think any of that will be open? The park directed me to the chamber of commerce website, but I didn’t see all of the information. I don’t know if I need to bring firewood, or if I can buy it down there. They told me restaurants in town are open, but for curbside only. Up here, all of the picnic tables are closed at parks.. can’t find out if they’re open so we can take food and eat at one. Though I guess we could take back to the cabin if close enough.

epcotisbest

Do you think any of that will be open? The park directed me to the chamber of commerce website, but I didn’t see all of the information. I don’t know if I need to bring firewood, or if I can buy it down there. They told me restaurants in town are open, but for curbside only. Up here, all of the picnic tables are closed at parks.. can’t find out if they’re open so we can take food and eat at one. Though I guess we could take back to the cabin if close enough.

Hard to say. Right now things are so iffy. One of the local places we like to get breakfast is still take out only, to be on the safe side. Roadside picnic tables are open, but not sure about state parks picnic tables.

Here are a couple of links for you:

Last edited:

epcotisbest

Unicoi is only about 5-10 minutes from Helen, so you can certainly get food to go and take it back to the cabin. Easy.
And Betty's has good supplies and samples too, so pick up some snacks there.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom