The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

epcotisbest

“Restorative rest stop sleep” 🤣. Yes, it does sound like your Disney advice. I just don’t want to drive 7hours for paved trails... I really want this to be a couple days of adventure, even knowing that we can’t do a lot of what is normally offered.

Well, the trail to Anna Ruby is paved, but it is worth the walk once you see the falls. You seek adventure, I seek peace and quiet, so maybe I am giving bad advice. So, here is my new advice, go for it! You have already booked the trip, so maybe it will be worth it to you to go by the gorge first. Even if you can't make the walk down to the bridge or lower, the north and south rim trails offer great views.

21stamps

Well, the trail to Anna Ruby is paved, but it is worth the walk once you see the falls. You seek adventure, I serk peace and quiet, so maybe I am giving bad advice. So, here is my new advice, go for it! You have already booked the trip, so maybe it will be worth it to you to go by the gorge first. Even if you can't make the walk down to the bridge or lower, the north and south rim trails offer great views.

You aren’t giving bad advice, I appreciate all of it.
Looks like Tallulah Gorge is 7hours 18 minutes, and then Unicoi is 40 minutes from there. With stopping, I’ll say 8.5 hours and an hour, respectively.
I’ll see how I feel during the drive.. I’m not so young that I can run on no sleep these days, and 9pm is the absolute earliest that I could leave here. That still doesn’t leave enough time to stop for sleep at a hotel.

epcotisbest

You aren’t giving bad advice, I appreciate all of it.
Looks like Tallulah Gorge is 7hours 18 minutes, and then Unicoi is 40 minutes from there. With stopping, I’ll say 8.5 hours and an hour, respectively.
I’ll see how I feel during the drive.. I’m not so young that I can run on no sleep these days, and 9pm is the absolute earliest that I could leave here. That still doesn’t leave enough time to stop for sleep at a hotel.

Please be safe. I hope you have a wonderful time and decide you might like to see more of our mountains in the future.

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
@Mr Ferret 88 , are cargo ships still visible from your coast? I was curious to know if cargo shipping routines/schedules are affected in any way by the carona virus. My guess is that there's not too much change for your island, as I'm assuming that most things you need probably arrive via ship, versus air, correct?
We don't see many cargo ships pass the island in normal times. They pass far to the North and East of us. I don't think there has been much reduction in shipping though as most freight from china etc would have left before the virus went worldwide.
We are on 1 or 2 flights to the mainland a day although they run mostly empty ( keeps the pilots flying hours up to date). And it is only the government owned airline running. There is also a small number of flights to Alderney for deliveries and passengers. 99% of stuff comes into the island by boat so not much change there except for prioritization of essential goods ( food , medicine etc). Lockdown is still in force although scaled back somewhat. We have been lucky in having a world class virologist as our director of public health in these times. And we have reached a stage where there have been no new cases for 5/6 days and the number of active cases is at 15 and dropping. Things are slowy opening up but we will probably not see travel restrictions lifted until later in the year.
Saturday will be a little surreal as it is the 75th anniversary of our liberation from German occupation. There will be no big parades or ceremonies as had been planned , as we are all still socially distancing between households.
Apologies for the essay of an answer. Hope you and yours are staying safe and well. And all y'all here in chit chat are as well.

P1020337~2.JPG

Figgy1

Premium Member
Thank you!

I’ve been trying to do research on trails and closures for the past hour or so.

3 things I’ve found-

1. I’m going a week early, as the restaurants and recreational activities all open back up on the 21st. 🤦‍♀️ I thought about rescheduling, but decided against it. My kid really needs to get away, ASAP.. so do I. All restrooms are closed here, so it’s tough to spend an entire day hiking, after already driving to get there.

2. Black bear. Apparently they’re plentiful in the park, and known to come around people. I’m a little uneasy about that. One trail we’re doing is supposed to be 6.5 hours long.. am I going to attract a bear with food in my backpack?? Am I going to attract one while I’m grilling our dinner on a coal grill, outside of the cabin?? 😬
Do I need to worry about going off on side trails or just through the brush, as we like to do while hiking? Should we not hike soon after we eat breakfast?
(Reminder- I’ve only gotten in to hiking relatively recently, I’m much more of a marine-life enthusiast, only went tent camping for the first time a few years ago, no bears in that area in Indiana)

3. The Georgia Park website is a little confusing. I want to find out exactly what is close to us, meaning within 30 minutes to maybe explore more trails or waterfalls.

We will be there from dawn Sunday, til sundown Tuesday. Not sure if that gives us time to explore outside of Unicoi or not.

One more.. kiddo really wants to use his “4th Grade National Parks Pass”... but I think all National Park designated historical areas and parks themselves are closed. We’re going to bring it though just in case, it will make him happy.
In general black bears are more afraid of you then you are of them. Just carry something that will make a loud sound on the trails small air horn works

Songbird76

I finally had my Jeep tops switched out for the summer. It’s cooler out today, but wanted to put the top at least halfway down, while blaring the heat at the same time.lol

Anyway, I got home a little bit ago and took T out for ice cream, Earth Song came on, we’re both singing along, and then the loud part comes,. I turn it up, am singling loudly, totally chair dancing in my seat, complete with the “Woo’s” and my arm going up, timed to the Woo. Meanwhile, T is in the backseat yelling at me that I’m embarrassing him. He’s ducking down and behind the side of the soft top.. he says

“This is so embarrassing! You’re an old woman! Stop, mom. Stop!! People are looking at us!”

“I don’t care. I’m having fun.”

“mooooommmmmmmmm stahhhhhhhhhhhhpppp!”

“Ok, now you have to dance, sing, and Woo too., or, no Switch time today. I’ll rewind so we can do it again.”

“Oh my gosh. No! Mom. No! This is humiliating. You can’t make that rule.”

“I just did. Now, here we go. “

“No.”

“I’m pausing the song until you do it T.”

“Stahhhhppp”

“now, T. Come on.”

“ugh you’re the worst mom ever.”

But he did it. And we cracked up laughing both during and after.

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
You're MEAN!! :hilarious:

When I was around 13 or so, we went to visit some of my mom's friends from Illinois who had moved to Buffalo, Minnesota. They had a son my brother's age and oh my, was he good-looking. I don't remember where we were headed, but my mom and her friend were in the front with all 3 of us teens in the back, they rolled down the windows and scream-sang "Braunschweiger Liverworst" (those are the only two words, sung to the tune of My Country Tis of Thee/God Save the Queen) as loudly as they could out the windows. All three of us were scrunching down in the back...I'd imagine it was worse for poor Pete, because he actually lived there and people might know him. Pretty small town.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
We don't see many cargo ships pass the island in normal times. They pass far to the North and East of us. I don't think there has been much reduction in shipping though as most freight from china etc would have left before the virus went worldwide.
We are on 1 or 2 flights to the mainland a day although they run mostly empty ( keeps the pilots flying hours up to date). And it is only the government owned airline running. There is also a small number of flights to Alderney for deliveries and passengers. 99% of stuff comes into the island by boat so not much change there except for prioritization of essential goods ( food , medicine etc). Lockdown is still in force although scaled back somewhat. We have been lucky in having a world class virologist as our director of public health in these times. And we have reached a stage where there have been no new cases for 5/6 days and the number of active cases is at 15 and dropping. Things are slowy opening up but we will probably not see travel restrictions lifted until later in the year.
Saturday will be a little surreal as it is the 75th anniversary of our liberation from German occupation. There will be no big parades or ceremonies as had been planned , as we are all still socially distancing between households.
Apologies for the essay of an answer. Hope you and yours are staying safe and well. And all y'all here in chit chat are as well.

View attachment 469135

That was informative, because most of us here don't live on an island like you do. :p

1588931502059.png

So it's interesting to read about the various procedures there.

Bummer though, about no parade for the 75th anniversary of the liberation from German occupation. We'll all miss your parade photos this year. :(

But, what great news about no new virus cases on the island in the past 6 days! :)

(MA cases are still way too many--73,721 as of yesterday. Newspaper link with brief update.)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom