The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

21stamps

I am in my 3rd day of teaching with Zoom. I learned by watching a tutorial on YouTube. It's not hard.

I think one of our teachers is struggling with ia struggling with all of this. Also the assignments on Google Classroom. Up until this point she was having the students do written work for her specific classes and take to drop to a box at school, but they can no longer do that and now everything must be turned in online either thru GC or via email.

That's good that your teachers are getting some support and guidance. We haven't had anything formal, but we start the virtual (paper packets for non-internet kids) learning on Monday the 6th. So we have had all of this time to explore different platforms and decide what we wanted to use and plan our lessons accordingly. While I wouldn't mind the inservice learning I like how our district went about it and gave us so much time on our own to decided what we felt comfortable using. There have been a lot of emails and some chats going on with teachers though giving tips and sharing resources.

Our did not have any break at all.. so hopefully this break helps them. Also, we have spring break coming up at the end of next week.
It is sad but maybe they can reschedule at a time that works out for you and T this time, life actually ask you if the time period is workable. My sister texted me told because they would have been leaving for WDW today, I really feel bad for her and the family and a little guilty because I was able to still take my trip.

I hope so too. Both of my parents will be over 70 in the next couple of months, so I have no idea when they’ll reschedule, hopefully sooner rather than later. I’m fairly certain than I’m canceling mine and T’s DR trip, for the second consecutive year, looks like the stars just don’t want us to go there. Hopefully I can get a refund or at least partial. That’s in June, but I know my parents won’t be going to wdw in June. We’ll see what happens.

Sorry about your sister’s trip.

Goofyernmost

Exactly. And the whole Tar and Feathering thing...we were taught that it was an act of patriotism because the people deserved that for being royalists, but it isn't that simple. A lot of innocent people were tarred and feathered just because they ran businesses that also benefitted the English aristocracy. They didn't necessarily do anything wrong. And not all the American patriots were really in it for freedom,etc...some just wanted an excuse to destroy property, or to steal from those who had more. It's not as cut and dry as the history books would have us believe....I learned a LOT from the Outlander series by looking up which events were real and what really happened. It was not what I learned in school!!
Sadly, this country has a lot of things to be ashamed of and all of it came from ignorance and being convinced that it was patriotic to punish everyone that seemed to disagreed with us. Not a lot different right now. 2020 has taken the shine off the reputation and influence of the country and has aired all it's dirty laundry. It's disheartening, is what it is! 😦

Wrangler-Rick

Just Horsing Around…
Premium Member
@ajrwdwgirl and @SteveBrickNJ ,

T’s teachers (all teachers at the school) are having an inservice day both Monday and Tuesday. They’re going to be taking a class on Zoom and Google Classroom, and also determining how to best move forward with their lesson plans.

Has your principals organized anything like this? I know some of our teachers were struggling more than others with the technology. It’s tough on the parents because we have to look so many different places for assignments right now, and also the kids really need more online video classes with the teachers and classmates.

They will be addressing this and streamlining it after their workshops.
We got a security advisory on Zoom and were told not to use it....

Rista1313

StarWarsGirl

Exactly. And the whole Tar and Feathering thing...we were taught that it was an act of patriotism because the people deserved that for being royalists, but it isn't that simple. A lot of innocent people were tarred and feathered just because they ran businesses that also benefitted the English aristocracy. They didn't necessarily do anything wrong. And not all the American patriots were really in it for freedom,etc...some just wanted an excuse to destroy property, or to steal from those who had more. It's not as cut and dry as the history books would have us believe....I learned a LOT from the Outlander series by looking up which events were real and what really happened. It was not what I learned in school!!
I actually remember learned about that. My parents took us to Williamsburg twice growing up. I remember learning it there.

See? I didn't learn everything from Hamilton. 😂

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
I want to interject a thought here concerning the age of non-tech savvy in the start up. Let me let everyone into a secret. Those of us over 60 and way over 60 have a tendency to want to maintain a certain amount of dignity appropriate with our age. It isn't so much that we don't accept the new stuff it is more that we don't know how to operate the new stuff. Everyone should try and remember that it was the younger version of our old selves that were in the upstart of the technical age. We operated the first computers while the rest of you were watching Sesame Street or just a sparkle in your parents eyes. And remember it was an entirely new concept back then, but we accepted the magic and learned how to operate and make it function to our benefit. If we hadn't you would still be using a dial phone mounted on the kitchen wall.

The problem is pride! Things then were simpler. When I was in college computers were operated via punch cards, programming involved a grid of wires randomly stuck in places on the mother boards. (I don't remember if that is what they were called back then) Calculators didn't even exist until the space age. You guys invented a new form of tech language that we aren't familiar with and it is hard for us to injure our pride by asking what the hell everyone is talking about, so we shrug our shoulders and say... Oh, I can't deal with that new technology. If the terminology would have been either kept simple or, at the very least explained in basic English (or whatever language is of your choice) we would be right there with you younger folks. In other words we would be able to be right in the thick of technology if anyone would have bothered to not ridicule us for not knowing current terms or phrases and making us feel like idiots for asking what you folks consider to be basic, duh, questions. Show us in a non-condescending manner how things are done and until we go senile we will stay tech savvy. At a certain point we prefer to be proud old people instead of the source of entertainment for the current group of future old people.

Just for comparison, when I was in the service our main frame filled a room the size of my current apartment, about 1000 square feet. Today it can sit on a desk top or in a laptop or phone and can accomplish more then the big ones did. Yet, we made them function, with a lot more steps then today's and drove them into what we currently have. Up until recent years the boomers were responsible for the technology that is today's norm. Somewhere we went off the track, but we were pioneers in the truest sense.

I completely understand pride. It is when the nearing golden oldies have to take pot shots at the youth to make themselves feel better about themselves that disturbs me. I take exceptions at the blanket descriptions of millennial's. They are pushing 40. Funny when they are not even correctly defining which demographic is actually a millennial. Some aging just need to hate upon youth cause they are so insecure about themselves as they age. Me I am constantly in awe of our younger generation as I was about my own generation. I embrace each generation as they improve themselves over the previous generations, just look at tech when I was young vs now. This is them not us. I can't understand the negativity of the young bring new knowledge that I could not have imagined at the same age as they are currently. I love the audacity to think forward not lingering in the past of yesteryear.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
The customer service ones...granted, I've seen baby boomers who've treated customer service reps with the utmost kindness, and I myself have gotten snippy on occasion, though I usually use my sweetness to get what I want (my mom is always amazed at how I get people to do things for me...). But I don't think I've even once seen someone my age scream at customer service reps the way Baby Boomers, and for that matter Gen Xers, have. Maybe we'll get to that age and have less patience? I don't know.

Oh, and saving for a house...good grief. There's no way I could be doing it if I weren't living with my parents; thankfully they understand and support me in this goal. And I probably could have done it already had I not had that unfortunate diagnosis last year that wiped out a good $5K of my savings between the bills and being out of work. 🤦At least the Baby Boomer and Gen Xer with whom I live get it.

Exactly. In my lifetime my son has lived through three stock market crashes including this years. The most disconcerting was while he and my DD were in college. While they both graduated the job market sucked and most of their elders were eating up the enter level job markets, 50 somethings absorbing all the teenage job markets 2 and 3 fold. Many mocking the young as lazy. There just wasn't anything in the recession when they graduated. 50 somethings were selling calendars at malls, something that in the past was a teen job or bagging groceries at local markets. Once being teen jobs. It was a rough time to be a new adult. Both of my kids were fortunate to fall back upon long employment of their youth until better things to come availed. They eventually came out the backside well but it was a long time coming. I don't regret my insistence that they become formally educated. It is as important in today's job market as a high school education was to my parents generation where high school drop outs were prevalent. If you lack the proper certified credentials today you are stuck where you are at with little options in other firms. The HS degree is rarely enough to make yourself marketable forever, a gamble often lost. College was instilled in them from babes cause that is where the world went. Yesteryear only had elementary school education, then HS, now University. The world evolved. Those who didn't....well.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Thanks. You hang in there too. We are both well and haven’t killed each other yet, so I guess that’s a good thing. Also, our livers have miraculously not fallen out yet, so that’s also a plus. I’ve seen more tv in the past two weeks than I’ve seen in the past 10 years. Running out of Netflix shows to binge. How are you?

So relieved to hear that you and Philmonster haven't killed each other (yet)!! :hilarious:

I hope that you both can retain your jobs, or at least, get unemployment, etc. to help you over this awful time period.

Funny about TV -- ours is on ALL DAY!! Ha! I endeavor not to start watching until maybe 11:30ish (or whenever we hear that Gov. Cuomo is on), and then the usual 12:00 or so news updates (local, and nationwide). Been watching some goofy daytime variety or talk shows when I get bored -- and then those bore me more, than when I was bored before watching?! :p

Hubs and I are well, and although our routines are (somewhat) interrupted with all that's going on (just like everyone else), it's not that big a deal. We lead a fairly quiet life, and don't usually have a lot of pricey entertainment like shows, fancy restaurants, trips, etc., as we watch our budget (even before the COVID-19 restrictions). We also have a large nature area that's not far, and I'm out traipsing in the woods most days of the week -- but again, I also did that prior to the restrictions. Hubs and I have our individual hobbies as well, so these keep our sanity. :)

Goofyernmost

I actually remember learned about that. My parents took us to Williamsburg twice growing up. I remember learning it there.

See? I didn't learn everything from Hamilton. 😂
The only thing I ever learned from my visit to Williamsburg is that fake history is a ripoff. I, of course, went there before the internet or, at least, my access to it. I thought it was legit and not a re-creation and that you had to pay extra to go into anything worth seeing. It is more a history of capitalism in it's basic form.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom