The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

Figgy1

Premium Member
How I plan to spend winters in my Golden Girls years;) Making some progress on that front, dh now says we can't move to Florida yet instead of never. I think he's finally wising up to the fact it's easier to dive into AC than out of the cold:inlove: Once upon a time he dreamed of moving to northern Maine:cautious: Family friends up there and had only visited in summer:rolleyes:

Goofyernmost

I just spoke with my Sister yesterday. I was getting concerned because she hadn't been responding to anything lately. She's not huge on social media so I was concerned, but not worried. She said that she was in her regular late fall, all winter funk. She has just purchased one of the brain cancer lamps the simulates nice weather. It seems to work to some degree, but it is so frustrating. I know what the feeling is like and I happily removed myself from that environment, no matter how pretty it was in the summer and foliage season.

She won't do it. She was six when we moved from New York State to Vermont. I don't think she is even over that move yet. Now almost 60 years later, she is firmly rooted in Vermont and cannot even consider heading down here with the rest of us. She, of course, has friends up there (so did I) but her only family there is her son and I don't think it would take a whole lot of persuasion to get him to come to the better climate. There are nine of her family that now live in NC. We get more sunshine, hot in the summer but, no hotter then it gets in Vermont in the summer. It just lasts longer. In the fall we get colored foliage as well, in fact it just finished up with the last wind episode and winters real cold is 28 degree, we get snow, usually a dusting that is gone the next day or two. In other words, although I feel sorry for her, it is limited. She makes the decision every year to feel depressed most of the fall and all of the winter which runs from October to May. I, on the other hand, play golf every month of the year. :)⛳🏌️‍♂️:)

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
I just spoke with my Sister yesterday. I was getting concerned because she hadn't been responding to anything lately. She's not huge on social media so I was concerned, but not worried. She said that she was in her regular late fall, all winter funk. She has just purchased one of the brain cancer lamps the simulates nice weather. It seems to work to some degree, but it is so frustrating. I know what the feeling is like and I happily removed myself from that environment, no matter how pretty it was in the summer and foliage season.

She won't do it. She was six when we moved from New York State to Vermont. I don't think she is even over that move yet. Now almost 60 years later, she is firmly rooted in Vermont and cannot even consider heading down here with the rest of us. She, of course, has friends up there (so did I) but her only family there is her son and I don't think it would take a whole lot of persuasion to get him to come to the better climate. There are nine of her family that now live in NC. We get more sunshine, hot in the summer but, no hotter then it gets in Vermont in the summer. It just lasts longer. In the fall we get colored foliage as well, in fact it just finished up with the last wind episode and winters real cold is 28 degree, we get snow, usually a dusting that is gone the next day or two. In other words, although I feel sorry for her, it is limited. She makes the decision every year to feel depressed most of the fall and all of the winter which runs from October to May. I, on the other hand, play golf every month of the year. :)⛳🏌️‍♂️:)

A few years ago I came across the term Hygge which is overused now, but it may be something to suggest her looking into if she's adamant she doesn't want to move. Basically the concept is creating such a cozy environment inside your house that your winter feels warm and loving instead of cold and dreary. I've been chasing that feeling for years and this is the first year I'll be able to experience it because I finally cut the toxic things out of my life and moved into a cozy house. I need more throw blankets though, LOL.

But it might be worth a shot. It is sad that she's spending a third of her life in a melancholy state of mind.

StarWarsGirl

A few years ago I came across the term Hygge which is overused now, but it may be something to suggest her looking into if she's adamant she doesn't want to move. Basically the concept is creating such a cozy environment inside your house that your winter feels warm and loving instead of cold and dreary. I've been chasing that feeling for years and this is the first year I'll be able to experience it because I finally cut the toxic things out of my life and moved into a cozy house. I need more throw blankets though, LOL.

But it might be worth a shot. It is sad that she's spending a third of her life in a melancholy state of mind.
There is an entire sequence in the Frozen Broadway show about Hygge....

MySmallWorldof4

The lights on the building were part of a mini light show. When we first walked into this area Epcot Reflections of Earth music was playing! Illuminations lives on!
View attachment 431691View attachment 431692View attachment 431693View attachment 431694View attachment 431695View attachment 431696View attachment 431697View attachment 431698View attachment 431699
Absolutely amazing in pictures. I bet the in person view was just spectacular. Love the huge flowers. How cool that they were playing Reflections of Earth!

MinnieM123

Premium Member

Sorry to hear that your sister is feeling a bit down. That's hard for me to process, as I'm ecstatic with the winter. It's a joyful time. Wish I could convince her of that. Has she put up her Christmas tree yet? I'll be that will perk up her mood. :)

Oh, my Christmas tree is up, and I put on the decorations very early this morning. That way, when it's all dark outside (and no light coming in the windows), I can also turn off the lights in the livingroom. Then all I keep on are just for the tree lights. That way, I can see if I've balanced the decorative bulbs and tree lights correctly around the tree. It doesn't come out right if I decorate in daylight -- you can't have any daylight coming through the branches, because it throws off the effect. But I figure you already knew that anyway.

Goofyernmost

Sorry to hear that your sister is feeling a bit down. That's hard for me to process, as I'm ecstatic with the winter. It's a joyful time. Wish I could convince her of that. Has she put up her Christmas tree yet? I'll be that will perk up her mood. :)

Oh, my Christmas tree is up, and I put on the decorations very early this morning. That way, when it's all dark outside (and no light coming in the windows), I can also turn off the lights in the livingroom. Then all I keep on are just for the tree lights. That way, I can see if I've balanced the decorative bulbs and tree lights correctly around the tree. It doesn't come out right if I decorate in daylight -- you can't have any daylight coming through the branches, because it throws off the effect. But I figure you already knew that anyway.
She has the same emotions that I had. I hated fall because it was followed by winter. I hated winter in Vermont because it was cold and (I hate cold) was never ending and when it did we were right into mud season. Then summer came along and it lasted what seemed like 4 weeks and it was hot, but because we lived in a climate that didn't call for central air, we had to huddle in rooms with window AC's that ran continuously, never shutting off until fall. However, Christmas was a mess of emotions. It was nice to do family stuff on Christmas, but all that fun was followed by January, February and, at least, half of March. The gray months as we called them.

That is why I always scheduled my Florida trips at the end of February. I can't tell you how many times it was -20 degrees F. on the mornings we left home, around Presidents Day, in the long shot hopes that by the time we got home the beginning of March winter would be over. It wasn't, of course, but we never gave up hope. Why we thought that the Cold Air supplied by our, alleged friends in Cananada would be gone 9 days later, but when you're freezing to death you have to hang onto whatever hope you can find. :cold:🥶👎

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom