The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

Rista1313

It is a huge savings with your own car, but even with a rental it is cheaper then a daily rate just in a Disney hotel. Don't under estimate what Disney charges for food and daily stay charges in one of the resorts, unless it is POP which is the same size room as my walk in closet. Comparatively, there is no question about how much more it costs to stay onsite. I do understand that people like to stay onsite because of the theming and convenience, but there is no comparison when it comes to cost and ease of dining (no advance reservations). Even with free dining... nothing is free especially at Disney. Now with Disney's flat out robbery with the parking fees for people with cars, it cancels out the savings for parking that offsiters pay. I eat breakfast offsite, lunch at a counter service in the parks and offsite again for dinner and a break to return later for the evening.

I don't see how it could be a huge savings... depending on where your coming from (like me from the north) there would have to be a hotel stay to get there, and tons of gas. I know disney charges of fortune for food, but I can't see myself going offsite everytime I wanted to eat. We stayed at POP last year...the size didn't seem to bother me at all. Shrug.. I guess it's what your use to.

It's going to be different for every family. I was just curious what we would be like for us. Because of renting an ECV, it's much easier for us to stay on property and take the buses rather than trying to get an ECV that I would have to try to breakdown and lift into the car by myself. I priced out, a hotel with good ratings, a car, $1500 for food (being generous) parking fees, and tickets, and it is costing me the exact same amount as my upcoming trip with 10 nights, free dining (for 7 of them) on property (yes at Movies and POP). So for me it would be even costs.

SteveBrickNJ

@Rista1313 and @Goofyernmost ,
We once stayed 2 miles from Disney property.
I think this was it:
Comfort Suites Maingate East
;)
2775 Florida Plaza Blvd.
Kissimmee, FL 34746
Phone: 1-844-800-1979
www.comfortsuitesfl.com
Yes we drove our own car from NJ to NC....slept....then the next day drove from NC to that hotel.
It was a clean place to stay....2 miles from Disney property. It did save us money.

Last edited:

SteveBrickNJ

I think this was it:
;)
2775 Florida Plaza Blvd.
Kissimmee, FL 34746
Phone; 1-844-800-1979
www.comfortsuitesfl.com
Yes we drove our own car from NJ to NC....slept....then the next day drove from NC to that hotel.
It was a clean place to stay....2 miles from Disney property. It did save us money.
If you want a room that is more spacious than Pop Century, but less $$s than staying at Pop Century than this is an option. It gets good Tripadvisor reviews. We've usually stayed on Disney property except the one time we stayed here at www.comfortsuitesfl.com
It's not SPECIAL, but it is clean, affordable and 2 miles from the entrance to Disney Property. Just throwing it out there in case some one some day wants to investigate this as a possibility.

Rista1313

If you want a room that is more spacious than Pop Century, but less $$s than staying at Pop Century than this is an option. It gets good Tripadvisor reviews. We've usually stayed on Disney property except the one time we stayed here at www.comfortsuitesfl.com
It's not SPECIAL, but it is clean, affordable and 2 miles from the entrance to Disney Property. Just throwing it out there in case some one some day wants to investigate this as a possibility.

Not really looking, was just curious... It's the ex-travel agent in me.

1. My husband could not ride in the car that long ( MI to FL)
2. I don't want to try to lift ECV in and out of car the 10 days at the world
3. We loved POP.. didn't bother us a bit.. we didn't feel like it was too small.

MySmallWorldof4

So.. the Oasis of the Seas has been refurbished and added all the extras that made the Harmony and Symphony different. (including the Abyss slide and a ton of new features.. man!

They removed a few things I did like and added more staterooms o_o

(edit, allure is going to get the refurb soon as well)
So was this good or bad?

MySmallWorldof4

Just for fun I've been looking at what it would be staying off site, versus onsite. Once I rent and car and pay all food out of pocket, and pay for parking at Disney... it really doesn't save a dime... (as staying at a value) How do people figure it's cheaper? I guess if they drove their own car, and ate dinners outside the park, it could be somewhat cheaper.
Yep, we bring our own car and don't eat every meal on Disney property.

MySmallWorldof4

I don't see how it could be a huge savings... depending on where your coming from (like me from the north) there would have to be a hotel stay to get there, and tons of gas. I know disney charges of fortune for food, but I can't see myself going offsite everytime I wanted to eat. We stayed at POP last year...the size didn't seem to bother me at all. Shrug.. I guess it's what your use to.

It's going to be different for every family. I was just curious what we would be like for us. Because of renting an ECV, it's much easier for us to stay on property and take the buses rather than trying to get an ECV that I would have to try to breakdown and lift into the car by myself. I priced out, a hotel with good ratings, a car, $1500 for food (being generous) parking fees, and tickets, and it is costing me the exact same amount as my upcoming trip with 10 nights, free dining (for 7 of them) on property (yes at Movies and POP). So for me it would be even costs.
I can see your dh needing an ECV being a good reason to stay onsite. We definitely save money by not eating every meal in the park. A table service for the 6 of us is close to $200 with tip, and that is with the kids not finishing meals. We ate at Chuy's last year and the bill came to $75. Maybe for a larger family like ours, staying offsite is more money saving than for a family of 2.

93boomer

Premium Member
Just for fun I've been looking at what it would be staying off site, versus onsite. Once I rent and car and pay all food out of pocket, and pay for parking at Disney... it really doesn't save a dime... (as staying at a value) How do people figure it's cheaper? I guess if they drove their own car, and ate dinners outside the park, it could be somewhat cheaper.
We stay on property. We don’t want to drive the car while we are there.😊We share lots of meals. It works for us two.

SteveBrickNJ

3. We loved POP.. didn't bother us a bit.. we didn't feel like it was too small.
Very good. My post might help someone else. Or it can just be fun to look at by any forum friends....not 'cause they want to stay there...but....just for fun :cool:

Goofyernmost

It is understandable that all those reasons listed are the reasons that it is necessary to stay onsite. Honestly, everyone has a different requirement and for you it just may not be desirable to stay offsite, but, less expensive, I have looked at it from every direction possible. Occasionally, POP has special rates that are close to compatible with outside, but, that is the exception and not the rule. Believe it or not, part of my vastly diversity filled life, I was, for a brief period of time a travel agent myself. Not long, because of my also magnificent timing we slipped into a major recession about the day after I started.

I took my family many times and stayed offsite and never spent more then $2K for everything. The trip from Vermont, and because my wife also couldn't ride very long we spent two nights on the road before arriving in Kissimmee. Tickets for four of us, sightseeing outside of WDW while exploring central, western and Eastern Florida and meals. In 2008 I took, at my expense, my two girls, their husbands, my three grandchildren, myself and my, at the time, girlfriend. I paid for all the 7 day tickets, the airfare from Vermont (round trip), a six bedroom villa 1 mile from the entrance to World Drive, with 5 full baths, living room/ dining room, computer supplied room, play room, full kitchen, huge Florida room with a full sized pool and Jacuzzi plus two rental cars besides my own that I had driven down. We spent four days in the parks, a day checking out the local attractions other then WDW and one day at Kennedy Space Center. Total cost $7800.00 That could not be done close to that onsite, even then.

But, so this doesn't sound like an argument, more just an informational situation. If anyone wants to stay onsite and has the money to do so, that is great. I don't put them down at all. Surprisingly, I do understand why people want to do that and how, to them it is important to be immersed completely, I just don't want to discourage people to feel that they cannot experience things like MK because of the costs to do that. And that a much cheaper alternative exists. Hotels, to us were really places to sleep and rest up before our next day enjoying the parks. All we had to have is a clean room with enough room to inhale and exhale. I will say, just as an observation, that I admire the fact that you were able to stay at POP and everything seemed roomy. I'm not even a little claustrophobic but, I found the room there terribly restrictive. At the time I stayed there they did not include a refrigerator in the room. It was an extra charge of $10.00 per night and the room was not designed for it so when they put it in the only space available the door would only open at a 45 degree angle.

Cost or not, I still prefer offsite because it offers me more flexibility to do what I want to do, eat at whatever place catches my fancy and not feel like I was grabbed at the heals, turned upside down and shaken until all my money falls out on Disney Property. That part is just me, others mileage probably varies. I certainly hope that what I said was not interpreted as thinking that you are doing it all wrong. Those are personal observations and things that I truly believe based on 35 years of travel experience to the great WDW.

Goofyernmost

I think this was it:
;)
2775 Florida Plaza Blvd.
Kissimmee, FL 34746
Phone: 1-844-800-1979
www.comfortsuitesfl.com
I stayed next door to there I think. Is that the one next to Old Town?

Rista1313

It is understandable that all those reasons listed are the reasons that it is necessary to stay onsite. Honestly, everyone has a different requirement and for you it just may not be desirable to stay offsite, but, less expensive, I have looked at it from every direction possible. Occasionally, POP has special rates that are close to compatible with outside, but, that is the exception and not the rule. Believe it or not, part of my vastly diversity filled life, I was, for a brief period of time a travel agent myself. Not long, because of my also magnificent timing we slipped into a major recession about the day after I started.

I took my family many times and stayed offsite and never spent more then $2K for everything. The trip from Vermont, and because my wife also couldn't ride very long we spent two nights on the road before arriving in Kissimmee. Tickets for four of us, sightseeing outside of WDW while exploring central, western and Eastern Florida and meals. In 2008 I took, at my expense, my two girls, their husbands, my three grandchildren, myself and my, at the time, girlfriend. I paid for all the 7 day tickets, the airfare from Vermont (round trip), a six bedroom villa 1 mile from the entrance to World Drive, with 5 full baths, living room/ dining room, computer supplied room, play room, full kitchen, huge Florida room with a full sized pool and Jacuzzi plus two rental cars besides my own that I had driven down. We spent four days in the parks, a day checking out the local attractions other then WDW and one day at Kennedy Space Center. Total cost $7800.00 That could not be done close to that onsite, even then.

But, so this doesn't sound like an argument, more just an informational situation. If anyone wants to stay onsite and has the money to do so, that is great. I don't put them down at all. Surprisingly, I do understand why people want to do that and how, to them it is important to be immersed completely, I just don't want to discourage people to feel that they cannot experience things like MK because of the costs to do that. And that a much cheaper alternative exists. Hotels, to us were really places to sleep and rest up before our next day enjoying the parks. All we had to have is a clean room with enough room to inhale and exhale. I will say, just as an observation, that I admire the fact that you were able to stay at POP and everything seemed roomy. I'm not even a little claustrophobic but, I found the room there terribly restrictive. At the time I stayed there they did not include a refrigerator in the room. It was an extra charge of $10.00 per night and the room was not designed for it so when they put it in the only space available the door would only open at a 45 degree angle.

Cost or not, I still prefer offsite because it offers me more flexibility to do what I want to do, eat at whatever place catches my fancy and not feel like I was grabbed at the heals, turned upside down and shaken until all my money falls out on Disney Property. That part is just me, others mileage probably varies. I certainly hope that what I said was not interpreted as thinking that you are doing it all wrong. Those are personal observations and things that I truly believe based on 35 years of travel experience to the great WDW.

That is cool that you were a travel agent for awhile... I got laid off after 9/11, so I know that pain.

$2000 is not even feasible when 8 day hopper passes on a discounted website are now $1,020! I feel like you would have to be super frugal to add $1000 more these days after car, hotel, food... I think you could do it being super frugal though. In my "eating out" budget I had added $1500 for the week for 2 of us. That was eating on Disney property. That's not even including airfare for 2 people.

Everyone is different in how they travel. I could totally do some things on the cheap, and do.. we get a delivery from the store and buy breakfast items so we don't have to eat breakfast at the food court or in the parks. But you are right... I like being immersed in the bubble, and disney makes it easy to travel to the parks with a scooter... so I choose to save a bit longer to afford staying on disney property. Will I ever be able to afford to stay at the poly? Not unless I save for a few years.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom