The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

Songbird76

Why don’t you take this as an opportunity for him to try fruits and vegetables. Long term without eating fruits and vegetables is not good for cells. They need micronutrients from them for normal biological processes. You know my son is picky. I had it last week. I juices apples and carrots for him in our juicer and basically told him to drink it. End of story. If he didn’t want to eat the food because of texture, then he could at least get the nutrients from them through fresh juice. He finished the glass and has some everyday now. Just a thought. One of my degrees is in biology. ;)
Oh, we've been working on trying new foods. We made a sticker chart with steps on it....first step is to smell the food, 2nd is to lick it, 3rd is to take a small bite, then finally try 3 bites, and that is 10 times. We got him to eat pasta, and beef jerky using the chart, but so far, the only veggies he likes are the ones mixed in with something else, like the spinach in lasagna. We're working on that, but until he actually broadens his palate, we just need to reassure him that he's not going to die because he doesn't eat broccoli.

Songbird76

I kept forgetting to post these, but @Gabe1 just posted about Aldi, and it reminded me...I've never been to an American Aldi store, but I mentioned that over here, our Aldi is tiny and lacks variety. So Aldi is remodeling and I snapped some pictures so you can see how big it is.

This is the entire store.

And then a few days later with the floor in place:

They open back up Friday....I'll have to see if I can get a picture of the new set up.

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
I kept forgetting to post these, but @Gabe1 just posted about Aldi, and it reminded me...I've never been to an American Aldi store, but I mentioned that over here, our Aldi is tiny and lacks variety. So Aldi is remodeling and I snapped some pictures so you can see how big it is.

View attachment 363203

View attachment 363204

View attachment 363205

They open back up Friday....I'll have to see if I can get a picture of the new set up.

Wow when you said it was tiny I thought you meant much smaller than this! This is about the size our Aldis are, but they use the space really well.

Songbird76

I mentioned our broken garage door a while back. The repair company said the door company no llonger makes our door so our options were a new panel, or a new door. Problem is the new panel wouldn’t look like the old and we have 2 garage doors, so one wouldn’t look like the other if we changed. Anyway just to change a panel would have been over $500 with labor. Mind you the only thing that was broken was the bracket that attaches to the garage door opener. So, dh and I looked on the door company’s website for repair parts and lo and behold they had a bracket that was universal. For $30 we figured it was worth a shot. Guess what? It works!!! :)
Did they really expect people not to do their homework and just accept the pricey estimate? I don't know many who blindly say "OK" just because a repairman says that's what it's going to cost. But good for you on looking it up and fixing it yourselves!

Rista1313

View attachment 363203

View attachment 363204

View attachment 363205

That's about how big ours are here. They just remodeled the one by our house and I still love it. As far as the lack of variety, well that's how Aldi keeps their prices lower.

Songbird76

Wow when you said it was tiny I thought you meant much smaller than this! This is about the size our Aldis are, but they use the space really well.
I hope that when they reopen, they will be able to use the space more efficiently and have more variety. Only about half this space is used for food. They pretty much only have basics. I saw some pictures online of Aldi in the states and they looked SO much bigger....I guess it's possible that the angle of the shot makes it look bigger?

MySmallWorldof4

Oh, we've been working on trying new foods. We made a sticker chart with steps on it....first step is to smell the food, 2nd is to lick it, 3rd is to take a small bite, then finally try 3 bites, and that is 10 times. We got him to eat pasta, and beef jerky using the chart, but so far, the only veggies he likes are the ones mixed in with something else, like the spinach in lasagna. We're working on that, but until he actually broadens his palate, we just need to reassure him that he's not going to die because he doesn't eat broccoli.
A good multivitamin may appease him for now. Maybe find one made from whole foods. Look into this one. https://www.juiceplus.com/us/en/buy...ard-and-garden-blend-chewables--child-serving

Songbird76

That's about how big ours are here. They just remodeled the one by our house and I still love it. As far as the lack of variety, well that's how Aldi keeps their prices lower.
Well, I agree that it's great for the stuff it has, but it just doesn't have most of the stuff I buy, and I hate having to go to more than one store, so I tend to just buy everything at the Albert Heijn. So much more convenient. That's what I miss about Walmart where they have the grocery side along with all the other stuff....I don't have to go to several stores. Everything is right there, and if I forget something, it's not so much hassle to go back to the other side of the store to grab shampoo as it is to have to go across town to pick it up from a completely different store. I miss one-stop-shopping.

MySmallWorldof4

View attachment 363203

View attachment 363204

View attachment 363205

That is tiny!

Rista1313

Well, I agree that it's great for the stuff it has, but it just doesn't have most of the stuff I buy, and I hate having to go to more than one store, so I tend to just buy everything at the Albert Heijn. So much more convenient. That's what I miss about Walmart where they have the grocery side along with all the other stuff....I don't have to go to several stores. Everything is right there, and if I forget something, it's not so much hassle to go back to the other side of the store to grab shampoo as it is to have to go across town to pick it up from a completely different store. I miss one-stop-shopping.
I agree about having to stop at more than one store. Luckily I have 3 grocery stores within 2 miles of my house. I do most of my shopping at Aldi, I get my meat from another store. And if there is something I can't get at the 2 stores, I can get at the 3rd usually. Sometimes it's a pain, but it does save me Disney money in the long run.

Figgy1

Premium Member
Oh -I- know he'll be fine....the trick is convincing HIM that he'll be fine. He doesn't believe us, because we aren't doctors.
I hate to tell you he wouldn't believe you if you were a doctor, then it would be you didn't specialize in nutritional medicine, if you did then it wouldn't be pediatric nutritional medicine etc, etc, etc............….............. Kids:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead: The boys have told my dh he doesn't know anything about computers or electronics:rolleyes:

Cesar R M

Ours is elevated actually. It is a planting bed that is about 8 feet by 12 feet. The people we bought the house from built it. My guess is they built it probable because our soil is crummy and it doesn’t take much to dig down amd hit limestone. We were told that when developers build homes, they remove all the topsoil and then sell it.
what a dirty move... pun intended.

Cesar R M

Glad to hear this from a technical person like yourself. I think too many people assume they have to upgrade all the time. What bothers me is all the waste (and I'm not just talking about phones, specifically). When I was growing up, my parents and grandparents would hardly ever throw out something that could be repaired or repurposed. Getting anything "new" was a big deal to our family.
everything is throw away stuff.. the landfills of countries like India and many african nations are getting staggering amounts of electronic waste with very long lasting stuff.. the throw away capitalistic system is the primary source of pollution imho.

Cesar R M

Guess if you have a garden in Mexico you can grow one too. If I ever move to Florida I am getting one, as well as lemon, lime, orange, and grapefruit. ;)
We have rows of avocado farms nearby, hence why we do not like these spike in prices.
Specially considering that these farms sell their produce to the distributors for less than 1/4 of what we're paying.
The distribution companies have abused and caused scarcity on purpose in illegal ways before. (specially on the mexican colima lemon)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom