The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
That new ride for SW looks bumpy, so I don't think my hubby could do it with his back. We definitely want to try to do SDD this trip. The coaster looks pretty smooth... and although I'm not a coaster fan... this one doesn't look too crazy. I just love 7dmt... that one is smooth too, hubby said it hurt his back too, but he liked it anyhow.

SDD is very smooth. I remember thinking it was smoother than 7DMT and subsequently wondering why on earth Barnstormer was so rough.

MySmallWorldof4

Volleyball is a mess. All but two of the kids are in multiple sports. We have TWO games this weekend yet have only had one practice.. the boys have never played volleyball before. 😬
4 of the players on the team are also on my indoor soccer team, our last games are this weekend and none of us could make volleyball practice tomorrow.

The coach sounds understandably frustrated.

View attachment 358204View attachment 358203
Yep. I definitely could feel the frustration in those words. Maybe there should just be practices for a school sport during recess?

MySmallWorldof4

Just 14 days until we head back to our favorite place!!!! I actually started packing!! I never start this early! :joyfull:
We do our fp’s tomorrow. It will be dh’s job for the first time. I have to work on writing everything out for him today. The plan is Uni May17-21 and Disney 21-25. I like the no worries about grabbing fp’s or dining at Uni months in advance. Wish Disney could go back to that.

21stamps

Maybe instead of coming across so snarky, he could have said, "As you know, we haven't had much practice going into these games. Please watch (there must be something on YouTube with volleyball basics, so they at least know the rules).

And while it is great he is trying to get the schedules together, shouldn't he have done this a while ago? He knew kids were doing other sports, and was ok with it, right? What is the surprise?
Yep. I definitely could feel the frustration in those words. Maybe there should just be practices for a school sport during recess?
I responded with this-

I get it, I understand the frustration.. but I will say that volleyball is advertised as “Will work around other sports!” “We welcome kids playing baseball, lacrosse, soccer!” Etc... it’s pitched as a fun thing with late practices and late weekend games.

They had trouble reserving the gym the past 2 weeks due to the school play, so they held practice at another location. T and another boy both skipped their last night of GK training to attend the 1st vball practice, but that school messed up and double booked the gym.. we arrived only to find out it was cancelled. They had another practice last week that T did attend, and then another practice this past Monday where apparently only 5 boys were there T and a few others can not do Mondays, Tuesdays, or Wednesdays.. and most of the rest can’t do Tuesday or Thursday. I’m hoping we do have practices on Friday in addition to whatever day we’ll miss.

It’s definitely a mess! What I don’t understand is why they weren’t more careful when choosing teams.. most know which boys play what sports, and I don’t know how we ended up with a majority of soccer players on our team, who all play baseball as well! 6 of the boys are playing 3 sports this Spring. There are kids who aren’t playing select soccer, and only doing baseball or lacrosse in addition to volleyball..I would have thought they would be more careful about heavy rosters of the 3 sport players.
I guess we’ll see how this goes.

Songbird76

Can you take a cash advance out on your credit cards? That's one way to get around it.
You can't do that with Dutch credit cards, I'm pretty sure, and I WON'T do it with my American card. I had a professor in college who had a side gig as a financial advisor....one of our units in math was about interest rates and she warned us all that cash advances on credit cards were the quickest way to go bankrupt because if you read the fine print, your interest rate for a cash advance is most likely compounded cumulatively, AND credit card companies don't use the payment you make towards the cash advance first. So if you don't pay it off right away, it ends up costing you thousands to get a cash advance of a couple hundred bucks. She said NEVER EVER EVER use your credit card for a cash advance.

Rista1313

You can't do that with Dutch credit cards, I'm pretty sure, and I WON'T do it with my American card. I had a professor in college who had a side gig as a financial advisor....one of our units in math was about interest rates and she warned us all that cash advances on credit cards were the quickest way to go bankrupt because if you read the fine print, your interest rate for a cash advance is most likely compounded cumulatively, AND credit card companies don't use the payment you make towards the cash advance first. So if you don't pay it off right away, it ends up costing you thousands to get a cash advance of a couple hundred bucks. She said NEVER EVER EVER use your credit card for a cash advance.

Good advice for certain... I was just trying to think of ways to get something fix that needs fixing in a timely manner if you don't have the cash. All my debt got paid off 2 years ago... and I only use my credit card for the Southwest points, and then it gets paid off every month in full!

Songbird76

Good advice for certain... I was just trying to think of ways to get something fix that needs fixing in a timely manner if you don't have the cash. All my debt got paid off 2 years ago... and I only use my credit card for the Southwest points, and then it gets paid off every month in full!
Oh, I don't have to worry about it too much as I also have American bank accounts with debit cards, so I can withdraw money from those accounts without paying interest. I did have an issue when my dryer broke a few years back...I want to say I didn't have access to the American account then...maybe my card was expired? Or maybe I had used that money and didn't have enough left for a new dryer? I don't have any debt either....I always pay everything off as soon as I can. When my dad passed 2 years ago, I inherited the mineral rights he had on his land, and we got some money from selling his cattle, so I have that in the American bank accounts. I have some cash on hand for emergencies. But for people living paycheck to paycheck, not being able to use a credit card can be a real problem. The switch to the Euro really did a number on financial security for a lot of Dutch people, because salaries didn't increase....they just converted the gilders to how much it would be in Euros. And the gilder was worth about half a Euro...but vendors mostly just switched the sign from gilder to Euro, so people make the same amount, but things are twice the price. Their money only goes half as far, and it's hard for people to save money. A lot of people where I live cross the border to do shopping or even go live across the border because it's so much cheaper in Germany than it is in the Netherlands.

Cesar R M

So.. got an additional email from the cruise recruitment company. turns out that the addendum in my interview was "looks nervous and this affected his ability to express his ideas".

and out of the 4 guys, only 1 passed this interview. They invited me to try again next year.. hmm...

I definitively wasn't that nervous and more like "I need food" kind of way after waiting 6 hours for my interview turn ( I was the last one who wasn't told to "come back later").

Cesar R M

Yeah, it's definitely not a kid ride. Pretty much every kid I see get on it under age five comes off crying. My parents used to have a rule where we rode everything once a trip. They waived that rule for ToT with my brother. I could be bribed to do it. I was about eight when I decided I liked it.

Safari takes you in trucks across unpaved roads and has no seatbelts. It stops periodically and doesn't go more than about 5 mph, but it can be tough. If you can ride in a truck across an unpaved road, you can do it, but I've come up off of the seat on that one and slammed back down pretty hard.
Not to mention that you have to be VERY patient. As sometimes big animals will decide to flop on the road and wait there for hours lol.

Cesar R M

Agree. They always charge an upfront percentage for cash advances, which can hover from 4% to 16% depending on the card and country. That is PLUS the nominal rates per month and other "penalties" depending on the card type.
I had an uncle that had an amazing CC card, it was very low rate and everything, but the cash advance penalties were insane. If you took more than 2 months to pay, you ended with a charge rate that was almost 100% (so you ended paying TWICE what you got) .

12in12

I'm an IT expert with 10+ years of experience in helpdesk support, server and website maintenance.
I technically did a ton of stuff in my current job.
Including giving help to staff and clients (who were mostly elderly people).
Are you flexible on location or just Canada and Mexico? Not saying I can help but I know a few high up business people I would be happy to contact if they might know of an opening. Most of these would be in US or in EU.

Figgy1

Premium Member
We were pretty poor and rice was a staple in our house. My mom would cook a pot every night for dinner, and then the next morning she'd heat it up and we'd eat it like cereal. So yes, close relative to rice pudding in taste, but more like cereal. Rice pudding is creamy and sticky.
Rice for breakfast lunch and dinner some days in my house ok my grandparents house(I didn't eat home much). The one good thing is my family bought some of the more exotic rice on occasion but leftover rice served with eggs at least one day every weekend. At least Friday was pizza night and Saturday was steak so no rice then but on Saturday I went to bed HUNGRY!

Last edited:

Figgy1

Premium Member
Yeah, it's definitely not a kid ride. Pretty much every kid I see get on it under age five comes off crying. My parents used to have a rule where we rode everything once a trip. They waived that rule for ToT with my brother. I could be bribed to do it. I was about eight when I decided I liked it.

Safari takes you in trucks across unpaved roads and has no seatbelts. It stops periodically and doesn't go more than about 5 mph, but it can be tough. If you can ride in a truck across an unpaved road, you can do it, but I've come up off of the seat on that one and slammed back down pretty hard.
James at 5 on TOT

Figgy1

Premium Member
We do our fp’s tomorrow. It will be dh’s job for the first time. I have to work on writing everything out for him today. The plan is Uni May17-21 and Disney 21-25. I like the no worries about grabbing fp’s or dining at Uni months in advance. Wish Disney could go back to that.
Good luck to him and your nerves. I suggest getting up a few minutes early for some meditation;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom