The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

12in12

Oh my gosh!!!!!!! Dd’s team got 1st out of 9!!! They qualified to go to US Finals. Yay!! So excited.
View attachment 353709View attachment 353715View attachment 353716View attachment 353717
That's great, congratulations.
giphy.gif

12in12

I was talking to a Disney friend about wether moving to Orlando would make WDW less magical. It would be great in theory to be so close by that you can go every weekend or an evening but I'm worried it will make it less special. Maybe it would be better to live within easy driving distance so we could visit lots of weekends? What do my Disney friends think?

FutureCEO

I was talking to a Disney friend about wether moving to Orlando would make WDW less magical. It would be great in theory to be so close by that you can go every weekend or an evening but I'm worried it will make it less special. Maybe it would be better to live within easy driving distance so we could visit lots of weekends? What do my Disney friends think?

I think it would be good. If and only if you don't do the rides a lot. Honestly, thinking about riding A Small World more than once a year gives me shivers while I can eat 3 schoolbreads a trip and go on Splash and Haunted Mansion forever :eek: But considering how Disney hotel and park prices are sky high, I think an annual pass would be worth it.

Last edited:

12in12

I think it would be good. If and only if you don't do the rides a lot. Honestly, thinking about riding A Small World more than once a year gives me shivers while I can eat 3 schoolbreads a trip and go on Splash and Haunted Mansion forever :eek: But considering how Disney hotel and park prices are sky high, I think an annual pass would be worth it.
I'd get an annual pass no matter if I lived in Orlando or a bit further away. The nice thing about living in Orlando would be that I won't need to spend money on hotels.

StarWarsGirl

I've personally considered moving to Orlando several times, not to be near Disney specifically, but just because I hate the winters up here, and I have terrible SAD, which means I basically want to hibernate all winter. I haven't been able to swing it, but I personally don't think it would take away from the magic. I'd love to just go whenever, maybe stay at a resort for a couple of days over a weekend to get the feeling of being onsite, and just hop over when I feel like it.

I've also considered moving to South Carolina where I'd only be a few hours away. The only thing that pulls me to Orlando a bit more is the airport: easy access to other places. I'm used to being able to hop on non-stop flights from Baltimore to various places around the US; we have the second largest Southwest hub up here, so it doesn't cost very much to travel around the US. With Orlando, I could visit WDW and then get on a plane and visit the rest of the country.

Lately I've also been thinking about San Diego for some reason...I've been there a couple of times and LOVED it. And it's only two hours from Disneyland, and there's nonstop flights from their airport to Orlando and Baltimore. Bonus! But I don't know why I keep thinking about it lately...

12in12

I've personally considered moving to Orlando several times, not to be near Disney specifically, but just because I hate the winters up here, and I have terrible SAD, which means I basically want to hibernate all winter. I haven't been able to swing it, but I personally don't think it would take away from the magic. I'd love to just go whenever, maybe stay at a resort for a couple of days over a weekend to get the feeling of being onsite, and just hop over when I feel like it.

I've also considered moving to South Carolina where I'd only be a few hours away. The only thing that pulls me to Orlando a bit more is the airport: easy access to other places. I'm used to being able to hop on non-stop flights from Baltimore to various places around the US; we have the second largest Southwest hub up here, so it doesn't cost very much to travel around the US. With Orlando, I could visit WDW and then get on a plane and visit the rest of the country.

Lately I've also been thinking about San Diego for some reason...I've been there a couple of times and LOVED it. And it's only two hours from Disneyland, and there's nonstop flights from their airport to Orlando and Baltimore. Bonus! But I don't know why I keep thinking about it lately...
I hadn't thought about airports but it is actually an important consideration, so thank you for that.
I am thinking being close to WDW has more pros than cons, house prices are also quite reasonable.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Only a few inches of but it was heavy. Another snow event Sunday night maybe.

Same here. I went out grocery shopping at 7:15 AM when the snow had just started. Wanted to get in and out of there before any accumulation on the road. But today, maybe 3 inches of wet snow. Tomorrow night into Monday morning, anywhere from 6-12 inches. (They keep changing the amounts.) I really enjoyed watching the snow today. :)

MinnieM123

Premium Member

I think everyone is different. For me, I don't think I'd want to be that close or go that often. It's more special to me if I can't go much at all. But I think your idea of living within a few hours sounds good -- you'd sort of have the best of all worlds that way. (Just my two cents . . . )

Songbird76

If I was to move to another country that spoke a different language, I'd try to learn some conversational communication, at least. Another language can be difficult to learn, but as long as you pick away at it, over time, you'll learn enough to get around. I admire people like yourself that try, and I'm sure the locals admire that as well. (It's good that they also speak English there, too, as that is a big help as well.)
You really do need to at least learn the basics. When I first moved here, I was pretty miserable. I couldn't speak a word of Dutch, I lived with my in-laws and my FIL can't speak a word of English. I couldn't really leave the house unless I was with my MIL or DH because I have NO sense of direction and I was scared I'd get lost and not be able to ask for directions to get back home. It took several months before I was placed in the language school and people were REALLY judgmental about me not speaking Dutch yet. I had only been here for 4 months when DH's uncle was at the house for my MIL's birthday and I hadn't been placed in school yet. So I'm sitting there and everyone around me is speaking Dutch and I couldn't talk to anyone, and then DH's uncle asks DH "Why isn't she speaking Dutch yet??" and DH explained that we had to wait for the paperwork to get me a social security number and then they'd place me in school. And the uncle says "She's been here for 4 months! She should be fluent already! Rhonda speaks pretty well!" And DH says "Well Rhonda has been here for 2 years!" (Rhonda is his cousin's wife, who is also American, and for the record, she did NOT speak at all fluently, and the government made her go back and take more classes after she had already been here for something like 7 years because they found out she didn't speak enough to meet the minimum requirements) Anyway, it was miserable and I just wanted to go to school and learn the language already! I don't understand how people can live here for 20-30 years and still not speak even rudimentary Dutch, but one of my friends has been here for almost 20 years, says she hates the language and refuses to learn it. My next door neighbors only speak a few words and they are very hard to understand. I couldn't do that. I HAVE to be able to communicate. I felt so...alone I guess, when I couldn't speak Dutch. A complete outsider. I notice at work, too, during the breaks, the foreigners all sit together at one table....except for me. People treat you differently when they know you speak the language. And it just makes everything easier when you can make yourself understood.

Songbird76

I wonder how much you would realistically be able to visit...I doubt you'd get to go so much that it would be boring. I mean, maybe if you were independently wealthy and didn't have to work and you went every single day, sure. It would get old. But for us "common folk", we need a job to afford the housing, food, etc...so assuming you have a standard 9-5 M-F gig, you only have weekends and evenings to enjoy the park. Once you get home from work, get dinner settled, etc....how much time do you have to spend before you need to go to bed so you are ready for work the next morning? You won't be spending many evenings there. And weekends there are also other obligations....birthdays, sporting events, etc. (depending on your situation) And I think there are enough other things to do in the area that you could change it up easily. I think you'd find you didn't use an anual pass nearly as much as you expected, so living close would be a huge thing....you'd have all the time to explore all the things you never had time for. Resort hopping, Disney Springs, etc. I think it would be amazing. The only downside for me is the heat. I don't think I could handle Florida climate. Winter would be SO nice, but Summers would be miserable.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom