The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

Cesar R M

I’ve visited Panama and the Canal in December years ago. Stayed in a home in the capital with friends with no AC. Took several showers a day just to try to cool off. Yes those bugs are huge especially the cockroaches. The bartender advised for us to cover our mixed drinks so the huge bugs don’t find a home in our drinks.
Why would you do that to yourself? No AC?
The temps reach like.. 42C with 100% humidity!

Lilofan

Why would you do that to yourself? No AC?
The temps reach like.. 42C with 100% humidity!
It wasn’t a choice. The family we stayed with had no AC, simple home , washer but no dryer and yes the humidity made Miami weather feel like a cool breeze. One party we went to one day was in a simple home , the shower facility was a 50 gallon drum of water that the person that took a shower was given a basin to help with taking a makeshift shower. The bathroom was the outhouse next to the home. We don’t know how good we have it in the USA unless one walks in the shoes of other families in other countries.

Last edited:

donaldtoo

It wasn’t a choice. The family we stayed with had no AC, simple home , washer but no dryer and yes the humidity made Miami weather feel like a cool breeze. One party we went to one day was in a simple home , the shower facility was a 50 gallon drum of water that the person that took a shower was given a basin to help with taking a makeshift shower. The bathroom was the outhouse next to the home. We don’t know how good we have it in the USA unless one walks in the shoes of other families in other countries.

Wasn’t all that long ago that it was similar in rural areas of the USA, actually.
When I was a child (and beyond), and we lived in No Cal, and used to visit my grandparents farms back in Texas during those summer vacations, what you described above was just part of the “adventure”…!!!!! :hilarious:
Neither grandparents ever had A/C.
Pops folks had some old fashioned gas space heaters for winter, but, Moms folks only ever had one old fashioned wood burning stove in the middle of the main gathering room, that always had a pot of hot coffee on top of it.
Pops folks had a washhouse right next to the smokehouse, and about 50 ft. off the back of the farmhouse. It had an old fashioned electric washer with a wringer on top because they had no dryer…all the wash was hung on a line to dry.
Moms folks (my grandmother, specifically) did the wash outside and away from the farmhouse in a huge kettle full of water heated by burning wood underneath. She would drop the clothes in, add lye soap, and stir with an axe handle. Clothes were also dried on a line.
Pops folks had a bath tub and sink in one tiny room, and a toilet in another tiny room off the back porch, that was added later. But, they had no running hot water, so water was heated/boiled in a large pot on the stove in the kitchen, and then added to the cold running bath water ‘til you had about 3 inches of acceptable temp water to “bathe” in…!!!!! :hilarious:
Moms folks had a huge, round galvanized bucket/tub that we bathed in…bath water situation was the same as at Pops folks…add cold water and boiling water to taste…!!!!! :D;):)
No indoor facilities at Moms folks house in the early days (they finally added a full bath in about 1986(?) by closing in about half of their back porch), so outhouse it was. It was out by the cow pen that was connected to the hay barn.
Haunted Mansion never scared me, but, that damn outhouse did…!!!!! 🤣
It was dark (had to bring a flashlight at night), with spider webs, mud dauber nests, etc., everywhere. Eventually, I just started doin’ my business out in the cane patch behind the hay barn…!!!!! :cautious:😀:hilarious:
Oh, and Pops folks never had a telephone, and although Moms folks did, it was a party line…!!! :)
Good times, good times indeed…!!!!! :happy:

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Clothes were also dried on a line.
In warmer months, my mother would air dry most of the laundry. There were some times that a late summer rain storm would arrive out of nowhere, and we all rushed out to the back yard, to get the clothes off the line -- before they got soaked in the rain! :p (Nowadays, some municipalities have ordinances against drying clothes outside. Supposedly to some folks, it's an eyesore now. Don't know how or when that happened. 🤷‍♀️ )

Figgy1

Premium Member
In warmer months, my mother would air dry most of the laundry. There were some times that a late summer rain storm would arrive out of nowhere, and we all rushed out to the back yard, to get the clothes off the line -- before they got soaked in the rain! :p (Nowadays, some municipalities have ordinances against drying clothes outside. Supposedly to some folks, it's an eyesore now. Don't know how or when that happened. 🤷‍♀️ )
Because the hoity and the toity can afford dryers:rolleyes:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom