The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

Figgy1

Premium Member
There's a lot of truth behind that. I used to watch Clark Howard's financial show (he's retired now). He said that for stores with big shopping carts, better purchase choices could be made if the customer only selected items that he could carry to the register. (The exceptions would be if you went in there for specific large items like a TV, appliance, etc., and/or you went in there with a list of items you needed)

When you have a big cart, there's plenty of room to throw in impulse buys. Hence, Clark's carry-only method forces you to make reasonable purchase decisions.

(PS.: I don't always follow his advice. Sometimes, it's big fun throwing carp that I don't need, into the cart. :p )
Feel free to use the carry method when you come shopping with me;)
I have a list and get very few impulse purchases as there's no room in my vehicle for them

Lilofan

There's a lot of truth behind that. I used to watch Clark Howard's financial show (he's retired now). He said that for stores with big shopping carts, better purchase choices could be made if the customer only selected items that he could carry to the register. (The exceptions would be if you went in there for specific large items like a TV, appliance, etc., and/or you went in there with a list of items you needed)

When you have a big cart, there's plenty of room to throw in impulse buys. Hence, Clark's carry-only method forces you to make reasonable purchase decisions.

(PS.: I don't always follow his advice. Sometimes, it's big fun throwing carp that I don't need, into the cart. :p )
I go to the grocery store after a full meal. I’m not inclined to impulse buy since I’m no longer hungry.

Songbird76

Wow! I never pay attention to how employees stock the shelves. The old way you describe is eternally correct. A good manager should make sure it is done correctly...what the current year is shouldn't make any difference.
It's funny you mention a "good manager" making sure it's done correctly. When I was working at Wal-Mart, I was placed first in the Pharmacy department. I was an overnight stocker, and I was the only stocker in the pharmacy department. My job was to restock all the over-the-counter meds. The pharmacy department manager was HORRIBLE. I had been warned that she could be difficult. She wasn't even there at night. She worked during the day and the store assisstant managers were above her in the heirarchy of the store, so I answered to them. But anyway, the computer modules we used to learn our jobs talked about the importance of rotating the stock, especially with food or meds. Well, this gal was getting angry because I wasn't getting everything done at night...there was just too much for one person to do if you were rotating the stock as you were supposed to. Every night, I was pulling all the expired meds out of the spaces and stocking the new stuff in back of the old, and every night, I'd find the expired stuff back on the shelves! And then she'd leave me a note telling me not to take the time to rotate the stock, just to put the new stuff in front. And there were also certain things that, by law, weren't supposed to be on the shelves because they contained ingredients that were restricted. Like, Sudafed. People were only allowed to buy 3 packages at a time because they were used to make illegal substances. So the Sudafed was supposed to be behind the counter. Every night, I'd put the Sudafed behind the counter with a note, and every night, it would be back on the shelves where anyone could grab as much as they wanted. I ended up being moved from Pharmacy after I ended up in tears because I had taken 2 days off to go see my mom in the hospital. I came back and she started griping at me that she had had to do MY job for 2 whole days for no reason, because my mom had cancer and she was going to die and there was nothing I could do to stop it, so I shouldn't be wasting my time going to see her instead of doing my job. I heard not long after I moved over here that she had lost her job as a department manager and was now a cashier instead.

Songbird76

My mom was better with money than anyone I know. And she always bought in bulk, when things were on sale, and she could use a coupon. We were pretty poor, but she was so good at planning the grocery shopping, knowing what was on sale and when to buy it and how much. It really saves a bunch! My husband hates that I buy tons of something, but it's stuff that we'll use over time, like cleaning products. Today, I bought a bunch of fabric softener because it's on sale buy one get one free. So I bought 8 bottles of it to last me until the next time it's on sale. He hates it when I do that, because he thinks it takes up too much space, but I do it to save money. If I didn't, I'd pay twice as much and I'm not doing that!

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Feel free to use the carry method when you come shopping with me;)
I have a list and get very few impulse purchases as there's no room in my vehicle for them
But . . . but . . . even the stuff on your list is for multiples of items (like a bushel or a case) -- so even all those you can't carry. There's not even room in a big cart for impulse buys with your hungry crowd you have at home! :joyfull:

Cesar R M

It's funny you mention a "good manager" making sure it's done correctly. When I was working at Wal-Mart, I was placed first in the Pharmacy department. I was an overnight stocker, and I was the only stocker in the pharmacy department. My job was to restock all the over-the-counter meds. The pharmacy department manager was HORRIBLE. I had been warned that she could be difficult. She wasn't even there at night. She worked during the day and the store assisstant managers were above her in the heirarchy of the store, so I answered to them. But anyway, the computer modules we used to learn our jobs talked about the importance of rotating the stock, especially with food or meds. Well, this gal was getting angry because I wasn't getting everything done at night...there was just too much for one person to do if you were rotating the stock as you were supposed to. Every night, I was pulling all the expired meds out of the spaces and stocking the new stuff in back of the old, and every night, I'd find the expired stuff back on the shelves! And then she'd leave me a note telling me not to take the time to rotate the stock, just to put the new stuff in front. And there were also certain things that, by law, weren't supposed to be on the shelves because they contained ingredients that were restricted. Like, Sudafed. People were only allowed to buy 3 packages at a time because they were used to make illegal substances. So the Sudafed was supposed to be behind the counter. Every night, I'd put the Sudafed behind the counter with a note, and every night, it would be back on the shelves where anyone could grab as much as they wanted. I ended up being moved from Pharmacy after I ended up in tears because I had taken 2 days off to go see my mom in the hospital. I came back and she started griping at me that she had had to do MY job for 2 whole days for no reason, because my mom had cancer and she was going to die and there was nothing I could do to stop it, so I shouldn't be wasting my time going to see her instead of doing my job. I heard not long after I moved over here that she had lost her job as a department manager and was now a cashier instead.
Please tell me that the higher ups allowed you to punch your manager?

Songbird76

Please tell me that the higher ups allowed you to punch your manager?
Well I'm not much for confrontation and certainly not for violence. I just went to the assisstant manager on duty, told him what she said, and he made an appointment with the store manager for me. They moved me out of pharmacy to regular stocking, and moved my husband from the regular stocking crew to the grocery side. It wasn't long before they took away her department manager status. She was AWFUL. There were a few incidents with her where she told me not to do things according to the rules, or got mad at me for following those rules. She actually told me that SHE was my manager and I needed to follow HER instructions, not those of the people above her. She basically thought she was above protocol. I think they realized she was a liability. Between putting expired meds on the shelves, to putting restricted things out where anyone could access them, to the verbal abuse, it was a matter of time before the store would be sued if she kept that position. Honestly, she's lucky is was ME and not someone else. I'm generally a very patient person, and I hate confrontation. Anyone else probably would have sued her or made a much bigger deal of it and demanded she be fired. All I asked was to be moved out of her department. And I have to wonder what happened AFTER that to get her demoted, because when they moved me from pharmacy, they moved someone else from the cafe to the pharmacy because SOMEONE had to do pharmacy and the woman they moved was not very bright, and was not a rule follower, so she wasn't going to butt heads with her. She didn't bother rotating stock, or removing expired meds, etc. So with that, what happened that they finally said enough is enough and decided she was too much of a liability? She must have stepped over the line again, but I'm curious to know in what way. She still works there. Every time I've gone "home" we've shopped at that Wal-mart, and every time, she's been there working as a cashier. I try to avoid her line, but when the kids were little, I didn't realize she was the cashier until we'd been in line for a bit and I wasn't going to another line because they were all long. But she didn't even recognize me. I didn't have kids yet when I worked there, so maybe she just didn't put two and two together when she saw the kids. Maybe she thought I looked familiar but didn't realize how. But she was nice as could be to us. I don't think she had a clue who I was.

StarWarsGirl

Dh is going in extra early tomorrow and has been approve for 1/2 day leave:joyfull: No driving home in ice:joyfull:
We've barely had any bad weather this winter. I think there was some ice the day after we went to Hilton Head and there were some flurries on Sunday.

Current predictions say we will get a foot of snow at the end of March and then the next day it will be 65 degrees.

Lilofan

We've barely had any bad weather this winter. I think there was some ice the day after we went to Hilton Head and there were some flurries on Sunday.

Current predictions say we will get a foot of snow at the end of March and then the next day it will be 65 degrees.
I never could understand why when I visit friends in the NE ( NJ and NY ) it seems like 3 out of every 4 cars is AWD or 4WD. It snows what maybe 1-2x a year?

SteveBrickNJ

I never could understand why when I visit friends in the NE ( NJ and NY ) it seems like 3 out of every 4 cars is AWD or 4WD. It snows what maybe 1-2x a year?
Every winter is a new and different adventure. This winter in NJ has been rainy thus far but there have been plenty of times in the past I was glad my Mazda was/is AWD.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom