The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

Goofyernmost

Well, since the whole EPCOT Center build was 3 years total from ground breaking to opening, I don’t see the comparison. Everything they are building these days is in an existing Park, with the infrastructure already in place to do so in a more timely manner, so I don’t buy that.

As far as Disneyland goes, I know opening day was pretty much considered a disaster.
The plumbers were running behind, and Walt chose functioning restrooms over drinking fountains (which lead to criticism about making the Guests have to buy soft drinks), certain attractions weren’t even operable yet, women’s high heels were sinking into the hot asphalt, and I’ve seen interviews with legendary Disney Imagineer Bob Gurr regarding the fact that the Autopia cars were breaking down left and right, and almost impossible to keep running that day, etc., etc., etc.

Again, all of 305 Acre EPCOT Center took only 3 years to build, from groundbreaking to opening day (with everything fully functioning, AFAIK).
3 years to build a single attraction in an existing Park with infrastructure already in place is a joke (damn-demic not withstanding).
Disney has done way better in the past, and with todays tech, there’s no excuse for them to not continue to do so.
My point was all the show buildings were being built at the same time so as a group it was 3 years and individually it was three years. They were being built simultaneously not individually, one at a time. No crowds to work around, no fences around them, nothing standing or getting in the way and no need to work nights instead of days. They might even have been doing a lot of it overnight as well as days.

StarWarsGirl

Next on the relatives...

My uncle started complaining about his Verizon service. He said he switched to T-Mobile. I told him that's cool...but it was probably his phone not being 5G and while his coverage in urban/suburban areas will probably be good, his coverage in rural areas probably won't be as good.

Queue the arguing with me until he finally says "I read all these tech magazines." I said, "That's nice. I've worked for a telecommunications company for the past 3.5 years."

He stopped arguing. 🙄

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Next on the relatives...

My uncle started complaining about his Verizon service. He said he switched to T-Mobile. I told him that's cool...but it was probably his phone not being 5G and while his coverage in urban/suburban areas will probably be good, his coverage in rural areas probably won't be as good.

Queue the arguing with me until he finally says "I read all these tech magazines." I said, "That's nice. I've worked for a telecommunications company for the past 3.5 years."

He stopped arguing. 🙄
You'd be surprised at how many of us, that tech does not come easy to understand . . . ;)

wdwfan4ver

Again, all of 305 Acre EPCOT Center took only 3 years to build, from groundbreaking to opening day (with everything fully functioning, AFAIK).
3 years to build a single attraction in an existing Park with infrastructure already in place is a joke (damn-demic not withstanding).
Disney has done way better in the past, and with todays tech, there’s no excuse for them to not continue to do so.
I agree.

I feel Universal Studios Orlando is quicker than Disney for park construction. I'm point to It took Universal less than 3 year to complete Hogsmeade and also took less than 3 years to complete Diagon alley. I'm pointing to Tron Coaster as one of the prime examples of construction taking too long for Disney. The Coaster is now under construction for over 5 years. I know about the pandemic, but even without it was going to take longer than it usually takes Universal.

Last edited:

StarWarsGirl

Could be worse, you could be asked when you're having kids every time
Thankfully my parents are already well aware that they're not getting grandkids and my cousins all have kids, so that takes the pressure off of me.

If they were to ask me, that comment would probably be along the lines of, "But I do have kids. They just happen to be fuzzy and have four paws." 😇

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom