The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

StarWarsGirl

I survived grocery shopping. The boys will be putting things away for quite a while longer as Tuttorosso canned tomatoes were on sale. @Tony the Tigger would you say we're all getting a good workout in?
I went grocery shopping today as well. Since Mom isn't here, I could buy snap peas to include in dinner. She hates peas.

My dreams are very small. :hilarious:

Lilofan

I understand that. My dad didn't have a choice and my dad does have a history of heart issues and blood pressure.

In terms of my dad though, you would pull the plug if you were in his shoes also in the later part of the 2010s. The fact is the company he worked for had record profits and record stock market prices at the time, but the company wanted to make more profit. How they did it is wanting to cutting employees pensions by $30,000 each. He had the choice of Losing $30,000 or more of retirement money, or not losing the money by retiring. My dad did have a 401k plan besides the pension plan, but that is not the point considering he was very close to the age he wanted to retire. He also didn't trust the company cutting even more money from that pension and they did cut even more from other employees after the original $30,000 cut.

The fact is my dad retired at the right time for 2 reasons starting with making the right choice with not losing money from pension and the 2nd being his job was very stressful since he was a foreman for a division of an electric company. Even before being a foreman, he worked with electricity and that meant any mistakes would cause you to lose your life.

What makes the foreman stressful is a combination of things including putting the workers he's responsible for in positions that they wouldn't die on the job. It sounded like the company made more positions stressful by not hiring more people and expected people to work a ton of overtime. Extra stress for someone with a history of heart issues is not a good idea such as my dad.

Some of the stuff my dad does for retirement is not what you call fun and games either. Dad had to do a temporary fix on a plumping pipe that broke off and will be doing a permanent fix later on. The pipe broke off due to the plumbing being 95 years old. He wants to do changes to the the bathroom without hiring people.
Pensions are a pipe dream now unless you are a state or govt worker. Even Iger got rid of management pensions during his time and if they needed to plan for retirement, then go the 401K route. Eliminating pensions increases profits for companies. That's a no brainer. A doctor friend of mine gave ones who approaching older age, advice - keep the body moving. Being stagnant can lead to an earlier death.

donaldtoo

Pensions are a pipe dream now unless you are a state or govt worker. Even Iger got rid of management pensions during his time and if they needed to plan for retirement, then go the 401K route. Eliminating pensions increases profits for companies. That's a no brainer. A doctor friend of mine gave ones who approaching older age, advice - keep the body moving. Being stagnant can lead to an earlier death.

Fortunately, at the architectural firm I’m employed by, we have both a 401K and a profit sharing pension plan…2 separate accounts.

wdwfan4ver

2nd lunch grilled ham and cheese with jalapeño chips on it:rolleyes:
At least they weren't eating this:

1920_hp.13.social.characters.01.jpg

donaldtoo

Thats pretty toasty! D:

It is, indeed…!!! :)
The family reunion for my Pop’s side is actually down there tomorrow, but, unfortunately, we’re not gonna’ make it because of a family lunch up here with MIL.
Was there last year, and posted some pics.
Hopefully, we can make it down again to next years reunion.
As I’ve posted before, most of those relatives are the reddest of rednecks, but, they’re also good, salt-of-the-earth, hardworking souls too…they just really crack me up sometimes…!!!!! :D:hilarious:;):)

Songbird76

I think there's a special magic in being able to choose what you do for work and how much you do of it. I'm one of those people that won't ever be able to do nothing. But the rat race is exhausting, with the 9 hour work days and traffic hour commutes, and time away from family, and boring useless meetings, and horrible nutrition because you have to work through lunch, etc. When you get home you're too burned out to enjoy what life you have left so you're just looking forward to the weekend. Always looking forward to the weekend. But then you have to cram all the relaxing you want to do in with all the chores and errands you also need to get done.

With retirement you can stay busy, but on your own terms. Take a job in your hobby part time. Volunteer at the food pantry. Write a book. Start dog walking for extra cash and exercise. Finally grow a garden that doesn't die. And take an hour for lunch that we can actually chew and taste and enjoy, lol.
I told my dad he should work as a greeter at Walmart. My dad LOVED to talk to people. He'd wait by out-of-state cars in a parking lot until the owners came back and then he'd go "How are things in California?" and people would be very confused because they didn't know him and he'd just be standing there by their car. :hilarious: At least if he had worked at Walmart, he'd have gotten paid to talk to people.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom