The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Just popping in - busy as heck week - but...

Brian went in yesterday for his last scheduled day of work until next month. (I think I mentioned they were intentionally not letting him work more than one week in May and one in June so as to avoid being forced by law to give him full time benefits.)

We had been wondering what was going to happen yesterday because if he worked a whole day, it would put him over on hours. Didn’t know if they would cut him early, or if he would go over and they would just make him full-time, or if he would go over and they would just fire him.

Is the suspense killing you?

Full time. Promotion to upper management. Raise. Benefits. (Details to be revealed to us soon.) Fewer hours overall. And no work drought through July.

Relief!

That's wonderful news for Brian! He deserved something nice to happen, as he's had his share of stress lately. Very happy for him!!! :happy: (P.S.: Great news about his eye as well.)

12in12

Brian went in yesterday for his last scheduled day of work until next month. (I think I mentioned they were intentionally not letting him work more than one week in May and one in June so as to avoid being forced by law to give him full time benefits.)

We had been wondering what was going to happen yesterday because if he worked a whole day, it would put him over on hours. Didn’t know if they would cut him early, or if he would go over and they would just make him full-time, or if he would go over and they would just fire him.

Full time. Promotion to upper management. Raise. Benefits. (Details to be revealed to us soon.) Fewer hours overall. And no work drought through July.

Relief!
That's wonderful news, please say congratulations to Brian.:D

12in12

I thought I would post a few pictures of my flight.
The seat was comfortable enough although I always feel like a sardine squished in a can. There was a huge selection of films to choose from but after working all day I was pretty tired and only watched Can you ever forgive me? The screen was a decent size plus you could charge your phone or tablet with the socket in the chair. You also got an hour of free WiFi per flight.
IMG_20190621_215629.jpg

Even in economy you get a little amenities bag with a pair of socks, sleep mask, lip balm, ear plugs and toothbrush with toothpaste.
And as a bonus the bag had pretty butterflies on it. After I watched the film I just listened to my music while trying to sleep.
IMG_20190621_215328.jpg

Once I landed on Bali things went smoothly.
Immigration officials were friendly and efficient so it wasn't long before I saw this sight.
IMG_20190622_233724.jpg
Finding my driver was quite a challenge, this is about one third of the drivers waiting at the airport.
Luckily I quickly spotted my name in the sea of signs and before long I was on the last leg of my journey. The hotel is only 30 minutes from the airport so I got there just after midnight. By this time I had been up for over 36 hours so I went straight to bed.

Last edited:

12in12

For lunch today we shared a longtong complete ( rice steamed in banana leave with some local specialties.)
And a mixed plate of appetizers ( corn fritters, spring rolls, fried tempe, chicken skewers with peanut sauce)
IMG_20190623_125913.jpg
It was all very good, Dutch people eat quite a bit of Indonesian food so none of this food was new to us.

For dinner we went to a lovely place on the beach where my sister ordered this cool cocktail that changed color when the liquids mixed, not to mention it was really delicious. :hungry:
448858694.png

Last edited:

Songbird76

Good luck with you job @Songbird76, btw do you still have the frying pan:angelic:
It turned out fine. It sounds like a case of too many cooks spoiling the broth. 2 of the management team were doing the weekly schedule, while the gal in payroll was inputting all of the new perameters, with the unpaid breaks and new base hours for everyone, and she apparently changed everything that the 2 managers had done in the weekly schedule, because that's the week that we start with the new changes. Really, they should have waited to try to do the schedule until Heidi had already finished putting in those changes, but they were already running behind and people were asking when we were getting that week's schedule because some people have more than one job that they have to coordinate hours for. So they were trying to get it done, and Heidi didn't have the basics put in yet, so everyone's schedules got messed up. It's a complete mess, but I just had to tell them what was messed up and when I could and could not work, and it's fixed now.
I think I passed the frying pan on, but I don't remember who I sent it to....perhaps @MySmallWorldof4 ?

Songbird76

What a bunch of hooey they're pulling there. Sorry to hear that they're not giving you paid breaks anymore. That's always the worst thing -- when you have something -- and then they take it away. That stinks. And regarding the 3 weeks' advance scheduling, that must also be frustrating. Again, if you started out in this company with all the above rules, it wouldn't affect you so much, but they've now just pulled the rug out from under you, and your fellow workers. :(
Well, to be fair, they did increase the hourly wage to compensate, so basically, you work an extra 30 minutes, but you get paid more so it evens out. But, in my case it's really really stupid. They start work at 8:30 am. There are 2 break groups and you switch off every week. So breaks are 10:00/10:15, 12:00/12:30, 3:00/3:15. One week you have the earlier time, the next the later time, then back to the earlier. If you work half a day, you work from 8:30-12:30, or 1:00-5:00. (unless you work the evening shift) But my kids had to be at school at 8:30, and I had to bring them to school and pick them up, so I've been working 9:00 to 2:30 for YEARS. But, suddenly, they are saying that the morning shift is only until 12:00, and since I start at 9, I don't have a right to a morning break because you have to work at least 3.5 hours of a 4 hour shift to get a break. So everyone that starts at 8:30 works for 3.5 hours, and I only work 3. But then why do they schedule people for a half day until 12:30? Why does that half hour get tacked on to my afternoon instead of the morning? Why isn't it 9-12:30....everyone else's is 8:30 to 12:30....so that makes no sense. And I guess it's because of the unpaid breaks that now they have to be there from 8:15-12:30 to get that 15 minute unpaid break? I don't know, but it's ridiculus....it means I have to work 3 and a half hours before I get to sit down. I don't know how that's going to play out for next week when it's supposed to be over 100 degrees. Last year, people were passing out and getting heat stroke left and right when it was hot....how do they expect me to work without a break in that heat? I'm not a robot!

Songbird76

Relief!
That is fantastic news!!! Is that the new position he applied for within the same company??

MySmallWorldof4

I thought I would post a few pictures of my flight.
The seat was comfortable enough although I always feel like a sardine squished in a can. There was a huge selection of films to choose from but after working all day I was pretty tired and only watched Can you ever forgive me? The screen was a decent size plus you could charge your phone or tablet with the socket in the chair. You also got an hour of free WiFi per flight.
View attachment 383328

Even in economy you get a little amenities bag with a pair of socks, sleep mask, lip balm, ear plugs and toothbrush with toothpaste.
And as a bonus the bag had pretty butterflies on it. After I watched the film I just listened to my music while trying to sleep.
View attachment 383329

Once I landed on Bali things went smoothly.
Immigration officials were friendly and efficient so it wasn't long before I saw this sight.
View attachment 383330
Finding my driver was quite a challenge, this is about one third of the drivers waiting at the airport.
Luckily I quickly spotted my name in the sea of signs and before long I was on the last leg of my journey. The hotel is only 30 minutes from the airport so I got there just after midnight. By this time I had been up for over 36 hours so I went straight to bed.
Whoa! Look at all those drivers!

MySmallWorldof4

For lunch today we shared a longtong complete ( rice steamed in banana leave with some local specialties.)
And a mixed plate of appetizers ( corn fritters, spring rolls, fried tempe, chicken skewers with peanut sauce)
View attachment 383336
It was all very good, Dutch people eat quite a bit of Indonesian food so none of this food was new to us.

For dinner we went to a lovely place on the beach where my sister ordered this cool cocktail that changed color when the liquids mixed, not to mention it was really delicious. :hungry:
View attachment 383352
The food all looks and sounds delicious. I had zucchini noodles with a peanut sauce yesterday. The drink is such a pretty color!

MySmallWorldof4

Well, to be fair, they did increase the hourly wage to compensate, so basically, you work an extra 30 minutes, but you get paid more so it evens out. But, in my case it's really really stupid. They start work at 8:30 am. There are 2 break groups and you switch off every week. So breaks are 10:00/10:15, 12:00/12:30, 3:00/3:15. One week you have the earlier time, the next the later time, then back to the earlier. If you work half a day, you work from 8:30-12:30, or 1:00-5:00. (unless you work the evening shift) But my kids had to be at school at 8:30, and I had to bring them to school and pick them up, so I've been working 9:00 to 2:30 for YEARS. But, suddenly, they are saying that the morning shift is only until 12:00, and since I start at 9, I don't have a right to a morning break because you have to work at least 3.5 hours of a 4 hour shift to get a break. So everyone that starts at 8:30 works for 3.5 hours, and I only work 3. But then why do they schedule people for a half day until 12:30? Why does that half hour get tacked on to my afternoon instead of the morning? Why isn't it 9-12:30....everyone else's is 8:30 to 12:30....so that makes no sense. And I guess it's because of the unpaid breaks that now they have to be there from 8:15-12:30 to get that 15 minute unpaid break? I don't know, but it's ridiculus....it means I have to work 3 and a half hours before I get to sit down. I don't know how that's going to play out for next week when it's supposed to be over 100 degrees. Last year, people were passing out and getting heat stroke left and right when it was hot....how do they expect me to work without a break in that heat? I'm not a robot!
Are you allowed to keep a water bottle with you?

12in12

The food all looks and sounds delicious. I had zucchini noodles with a peanut sauce yesterday. The drink is such a pretty color!
Peanut sauce is so delicious, not sure about zucchini noodles but I would be willing to try them.
The drink was very pretty so I was worried it wouldn't taste nice but it was so good. I might order one myself if we go back to that restaurant.

Cesar R M

Not too much to post today, it was mostly a driving day from Sequoia to Palm Springs . It is a LONG drive. We did stop to see the Cabazon Dinosaurs though. So a last look from our cabin and a couple pictures leaving Sequoia and from our dinner at the Tonga Hut in Palm Springs.
View attachment 383275View attachment 383276View attachment 383277View attachment 383278View attachment 383279View attachment 383280View attachment 383281View attachment 383282View attachment 383283View attachment 383284
how much you think someone needs to set aside (as budget) to a trip like this one?
I really have this bucketlist of going there :>

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom