The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

Songbird76

They scare me too, but i have a friend who's kid is a super fever producer and I've learned a lot from her over the years. Her kid will take a low grade fever from my kid and turn it into a 106.5 fever every time. Through that I've learned if there is no lethargy, it doesn't last more than four days, and it responds to meds, all they're going to tell you at the doctor is to wait it out. This is the first time we've been this high, and i definitely would have headed straight for the urgent Care had i not known this friends and learned a lot of fever management tips from her
Yeah, the first few times it happened with my kids, we called urgent care, and we were always told it was fine as long as they aren't lethargic, but to dress them cooly and make sure they got enough fluids, and I THINK that's maybe where they gave me the tip of popsicles. My kids never wanted to drink anything, but they'd eat popsicles, so that's what we did. I think the highest I remember was 104.4 or maybe 104.6. You could always tell when DS was sick because he was normally not a cuddler, but whenever he had a fever, he wanted to be snuggled up to mommy. If he crawled into my lap to take a nap, we got out the thermometer.

Songbird76

I saw Dumbo and enjoyed it, it won’t be a favorite but I will watch it again. I loved Lion King when it first came out but I think Disney overloaded me on it at the time. So I’m just a little ho-hum about this remake. I hope you enjoy Aladdin for what it is there are some fun little touches. This I don’t think is a spoiler at all... there is a scene which involves jasmine and Aladdin and a map, look closely at the map.
Aw, I saw this too late, but I think I know what you are referring to anyway with the map. I loved the movie...it stayed pretty true to the original, though they did change a few words to songs here and there, and there were a couple of other little changes I noticed, but nothing too jarring. I'll have to get the DVD when it comes out. It's my favorite of the live action remakes so far. I loved the handmaid parts...so funny.

Songbird76

We went to see Aladdin today at the IMAX theater, which was really great, except I noticed a few things at the beggining that made me feel ill because my glasses in combination with 3D. Now that I have glasses, if I get text too close to my face, I get that feeling of...not really dizzy, but if you've ever looked through someone's glasses and the prescription was too strong and it makes your eyes feel cross-eyed, etc? That's the feeling I get, but usually I can pull the paper away from my face, or I can take a step back to bring it back into focus without that feeling of pressure. But, obviously, with 3D text on a screen, you can't pull that away from your face, so those bits made me feel a bit ill, and the scene where he's singing about staying one step ahead of the lawman, where he's swinging on beams and jumping from ceiling to ceiling...those parts made me a bit motion sick from the fast movement. But it was just that one scene mostly and then I was fine. But just a heads up....it probably wouldn't be as bad on a normal movie theater screen.
DS was crying because he hadn't realized we were going to IMAX and he said IMAX makes him sick, but we explained that he's watched IMAX movies before without a problem, but he was thinking of the one time he got sick when he was already feeling yucky. So we said we'd try it and if he felt sick, we'd take him out and go to a regular theater some other time, but he was fine and now he knows IMAX doesn't make him sick.
Then we went to dinner to celebrate his exam score. We had it planned for this weekend since he was supposed to get the results Wednesday, so we still went, even though we don't have the results yet. Whatever he scores will be great anyway. We don't care about the score, just the fact that he did the exam and he made it through. He chose a restaurant that we've been to many times, but haven't been going often because it's not our favorite and it's an hour away. But man was it BAD today. Even DS said he picked a bad day to come and next time, he would just choose something else. The milkshake machine was broken, and it was broken last time we were there, which was in December, and the sign was computer printed and laminated, so I think they just aren't going to bother to fix it. The steak was cooked almost to shoe leather. The corn on the cob....oh man....I couldn't even bite into it, and I'm pretty sure it was not made fresh tonight. They open at 4 and we got there at 4:30 and the corn was so dry and stale and had little dents in the corn kernels. I'm thinking it was left over from last night and they didn't want to waste it, so they reheated it for tonight. It was nasty and I couldn't eat it. The mushrooms in the Chinese section were so salty I couldn't eat those either. The best thing I ate there tonight was garlic toast. Garlic toast! The last time I had to fill up on bread at a buffet was probably junior high! And back then it was because I was picky....this was just because that's the only thing that wasn't stale, overly salted, or otherwise barely edible. DD was rearranging the labels at the dessert bar because they were all mixed up. Brownies were labeled as Apple pie. Chocolate cookie bars were labeled as Lemon tart. Cookies were labled as muffins. I don't know what was up, but it was just terrible all around. And it sat like a rock in my stomach...I didn't even eat that much and I felt so stuffed and bloated and just gross. We all had plenty to eat but felt very unsatisfied somehow. Oh well. At least we can finally cross that one off the list. DS doesn't want to go back.

So that was our day. Anyone do anything fun?

93boomer

Premium Member
We went to see Aladdin today at the IMAX theater, which was really great, except I noticed a few things at the beggining that made me feel ill because my glasses in combination with 3D. Now that I have glasses, if I get text too close to my face, I get that feeling of...not really dizzy, but if you've ever looked through someone's glasses and the prescription was too strong and it makes your eyes feel cross-eyed, etc? That's the feeling I get, but usually I can pull the paper away from my face, or I can take a step back to bring it back into focus without that feeling of pressure. But, obviously, with 3D text on a screen, you can't pull that away from your face, so those bits made me feel a bit ill, and the scene where he's singing about staying one step ahead of the lawman, where he's swinging on beams and jumping from ceiling to ceiling...those parts made me a bit motion sick from the fast movement. But it was just that one scene mostly and then I was fine. But just a heads up....it probably wouldn't be as bad on a normal movie theater screen.
DS was crying because he hadn't realized we were going to IMAX and he said IMAX makes him sick, but we explained that he's watched IMAX movies before without a problem, but he was thinking of the one time he got sick when he was already feeling yucky. So we said we'd try it and if he felt sick, we'd take him out and go to a regular theater some other time, but he was fine and now he knows IMAX doesn't make him sick.
Then we went to dinner to celebrate his exam score. We had it planned for this weekend since he was supposed to get the results Wednesday, so we still went, even though we don't have the results yet. Whatever he scores will be great anyway. We don't care about the score, just the fact that he did the exam and he made it through. He chose a restaurant that we've been to many times, but haven't been going often because it's not our favorite and it's an hour away. But man was it BAD today. Even DS said he picked a bad day to come and next time, he would just choose something else. The milkshake machine was broken, and it was broken last time we were there, which was in December, and the sign was computer printed and laminated, so I think they just aren't going to bother to fix it. The steak was cooked almost to shoe leather. The corn on the cob....oh man....I couldn't even bite into it, and I'm pretty sure it was not made fresh tonight. They open at 4 and we got there at 4:30 and the corn was so dry and stale and had little dents in the corn kernels. I'm thinking it was left over from last night and they didn't want to waste it, so they reheated it for tonight. It was nasty and I couldn't eat it. The mushrooms in the Chinese section were so salty I couldn't eat those either. The best thing I ate there tonight was garlic toast. Garlic toast! The last time I had to fill up on bread at a buffet was probably junior high! And back then it was because I was picky....this was just because that's the only thing that wasn't stale, overly salted, or otherwise barely edible. DD was rearranging the labels at the dessert bar because they were all mixed up. Brownies were labeled as Apple pie. Chocolate cookie bars were labeled as Lemon tart. Cookies were labled as muffins. I don't know what was up, but it was just terrible all around. And it sat like a rock in my stomach...I didn't even eat that much and I felt so stuffed and bloated and just gross. We all had plenty to eat but felt very unsatisfied somehow. Oh well. At least we can finally cross that one off the list. DS doesn't want to go back.

So that was our day. Anyone do anything fun?
Not really. Just yard work and going to grill out dinner tonight. It was so hot today! We hit 94. It’s one of those 3 shower days!🤣

Tony the Tigger

@donaldtoo I recorded the most bizarre stuff on TCM last night!

Don’t know why, but first up: Santa Claus.

Made in Mexico in 1959 and dubbed into English. The opening scene is basically Santa in the middle of a living It’s A Small World display. He gets some help from Merlin the Wizard (!) and then battles with the devil (in the cheesiest devil costume) over children for most of the movie. So bad, but so riveting!

Next up: “Santa Conquers The Martians.” (1964.) Apparently not related - American actors, including Pia Zadora. Saving that one for tonight.

I don’t think I can delete the first one until I show it to everyone I know lol!!

StarWarsGirl

Coffee drinkers: help.

I'm at the grocery store. My dad wants Colombian coffee. They only have a few brands here. He normally drinks Gevalia, but they're out of the Colombian version.

There's Peets, Starbucks, and Melitta here in the Colombian Roast.

Which one is best? I want to make sure I get him the right one, and a coffee-less dad will not be good.

And yes, I've tried calling home. No answer.

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member

I'm at the grocery store. My dad wants Colombian coffee. They only have a few brands here. He normally drinks Gevalia, but they're out of the Colombian version.

Which one is best? I want to make sure I get him the right one, and a coffee-less dad will not be good.

Starbucks is ok.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
@donaldtoo I recorded the most bizarre stuff on TCM last night!

Don’t know why, but first up: Santa Claus.

Made in Mexico in 1959 and dubbed into English. The opening scene is basically Santa in the middle of a living It’s A Small World display. He gets some help from Merlin the Wizard (!) and then battles with the devil (in the cheesiest devil costume) over children for most of the movie. So bad, but so riveting!

Next up: “Santa Conquers The Martians.” (1964.) Apparently not related - American actors, including Pia Zadora. Saving that one for tonight.

I don’t think I can delete the first one until I show it to everyone I know lol!!

Oh, DO let us know your review of "Santa Conquers The Martians" -- that's got to be a Bot candidate. Did you ever watch Mystery Science Theater 3000? Oh, I loved that show -- and I can just see how they could "enhance" that movie with comments from the Bots!!! :hilarious: :hilarious:

MinnieM123

Premium Member

PEETS is excellent -- no matter what version you buy.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Not really. Just yard work and going to grill out dinner tonight. It was so hot today! We hit 94. It’s one of those 3 shower days!🤣

Thank God it wasn't hot here -- just a nice spring day in lower 70s, with the sun out. Of course, that meant that all the people and tourists were in the city today (also due to the long holiday weekend). It's probably one of the first weekends in months that it hasn't rained! ;)

It was one of those rare occasions that I went into the city on a weekend (I work there all week--on weekends, it's the last place I want to be), but my sister has been bugging me for months to go have lunch with her. (We don't live close to each other.)

Anyway, I talked her out of the seaport area and restaurants down there, due to the tourist mob scene. Instead, I suggested a great seafood restaurant, somewhat hidden over in the Theater/Night Clubs district -- which is really pleasant (during the daytime), and there were no crowds. She had a broiled cod dinner, and I had a garlic/shrimp, tomatoes & mushrooms dish over homemade pasta -- it was awesome! :hungry: I also had a fruity Sangria. For dessert she had strawberry shortcake, and I had Key Lime Pie!!

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Aw, I saw this too late, but I think I know what you are referring to anyway with the map. I loved the movie...it stayed pretty true to the original, though they did change a few words to songs here and there, and there were a couple of other little changes I noticed, but nothing too jarring. I'll have to get the DVD when it comes out. It's my favorite of the live action remakes so far. I loved the handmaid parts...so funny.

I was thinking the same that it is probably my favorite remake so far. I did like Cinderella a lot but Aladdin I think has it beat with the visuals and music. I liked Jasmine's "Speechless" song a lot too.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member

I'm probably too late but Peet's is okay and then Starbucks. Never heard of Melitta.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
My family just left we had a nice time together. The men golfed, grilled brats and then napped while watching sports. The ladies just relaxed on the porch and went for a walk before having dessert. I had all the other food made before they arrived so no busy work in the kitchen while company is around.

It is a little cool here today about 67 and mostly sunny, the breeze is what makes it a little cool. But better than rain or snow.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom