The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

Goofyernmost

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:inlove::inlove::inlove::inlove::inlove::inlove::inlove:I'm sure it's been properly answered by now but MGM
Except that isn't the proper answer. It's Disney Hollywood Studios, it is not MGM and hasn't been for years now. Do you go by your maiden name or your husbands name. And they say that old people (like me) are unable to adapt to change. Now get off my lawn.

Songbird76

Efteling cont....

I feel like I should mention that DH leaving me with the kids in the fairytale forest was perhaps not his wisest move. I have zero sense of direction, and that particular part of the park is kind of a labyrinth. It's got pathways all over the place with little short cuts, and detours. We had gotten all the way through and I had somehow managed to miss a bunch of the things I wanted to see. When DH sent me a message asking me where I was, the only answer I could give was "In the sprookjesbos" ....nothing more specific. He had to come rescue us and then take me to the one part I had most wanted to see, but somehow went right past it because you have to go onto a side path to get into it. By the time we got out of that, it was 5 minutes to park closing, DS was about ready to meltdown. He was tired, and overstimulated, and just done. So we headed out of the park.

But first, a few random pictures that didn't fit in anywhere else here:

Me playing with the special effect settings on my camera:

Saturday morning, we decided to look for a restaurant near the park where we could all eat so we wouldn't have to waste park time to eat food we wouldn't really enjoy. We found a place that had tapas and a la carte items, with a kids menu including frikandel, chicken nuggets and fries for DS. But, in order to reserve online, you had to do so more than 24 hours in advance....we would have to wait until 4:00 when they opened and call to reserve a table. It was right at 4 when we got out of Ravelijn, so we went and found a quiet-ish corner to make the call....they were full for the night. But there was a restaurant from the same chain that opened at 5....so we tried to call then...also full. In fact, every restaurant seemed to be full for the whole evening. We took DS to McDonalds and there was no parking available, so I took him in and got him fed while DH waited in the car and made calls to every restaurant he could find that sounded good. Nothing. So when DS was finished with his food, I called DH, he came and picked us up and then I took over the restaurant search while DH drove. We looked for anyplace on the way home...the only place we found was in Arnhem....45 minutes away, putting us there at 8:00pm assuming there was no traffic, etc. It is a tapas restaurant chain, which we love, but it takes a couple of hours to eat there, so you have to have time before the kitchen closes. They had a table, so I reserved it and we made our way.
And the parking lot where we always park was full....so we had to go all the way back around and try to find something else. Every lot and garage was full, except one on the other side of the Centrum, which meant a 10 minute walk to get to the restaurant. But it was the best we could do. We were almost 10 minutes late for our reservation, but they still had our table for us.

La Cubanita: This is a chain restaurant with cuban tappas. You get little cards and each person gets to choose 2 menu items per round, unlimited rounds. You fill in your card, they take it and prepare your items and then they bring out trays periodically and serve the items to the tables who ordered them....sometimes things get mixed up. We've gotten things that they no longer knew who it was supposed to go to...we also had the corn we ordered once just never show up...we had to re-order, and then they didn't realize 2 of us had ordered it, and they only brought us one. But the food is good and it's nice to just sit and chatter and people watch. You have to be patient, but it's rewarded.

First thing we notice....they changed the menu!!! My favorite item was missing...and my 3rd favorite wasn't there either...the corn was also gone. So far we were not off to a good start. 3 of our go-tos were gone. There were some new options. I went with my 2nd favorite, spicey beef tips and decided to get some spare ribs as my 2nd item....they tend to take a while so I wanted to order them early.

Sorry....it's pretty dark in there, so the pictures aren't great. The items don't necessarily come in the order that you order them. You can't put up a new order card until you've started eating the previous course. So until we had gotten a couple of the items from our first course, we weren't allowed to order more, but we keep our card ready just in case.

Next up was a new menu item...Pincito? I think that's what it was called. It was a crispy wrap with spicey ground beef. It didn't want to come out of the bowl.

It was much better than I was expecting, but not as good as my beloved Flambini.

Songbird76

Did you see the naked emperor's behind? This is a must for my niece and nephew, it has them in stitches if they see his bottom.View attachment 362536
No, we literally just walked past and I snapped the one picture I got. I missed that one! I was so lost in there...I thought if I just followed the path, we'd see everything, but I missed a TON of stuff. I should not be allowed in any area that has the word "forest" in it without a guide!

Songbird76

Except that isn't the proper answer. It's Disney Hollywood Studios, it is not MGM and hasn't been for years now. Do you go by your maiden name or your husbands name. And they say that old people (like me) are unable to adapt to change. Now get off my lawn.
Here, you are forced to use your maiden name. I had taken my husband's name when we were married, because we lived in the US. All of my ID's had been changed to reflect my married name. Then I moved over here and they made me use my maiden name on all my documents.

Goofyernmost

MGM changed to Disney Hollywood Studios in 2008.
Yes, I know when it changed, I had been going there since it opened, but, it has changed and it isn't MGM any longer. MGM stopped helping to sponsor it. So I no longer call it MGM. I don't really care if others do, but, it just seems wrong to me. The rest, do whatever pleases you.

Last edited:

Songbird76

La cubanita cont...

DD's chicken wings

Another new item on the menu, beef tips in chimichurri sauce. I liked these better than my original 2nd favorite of the spicy beef tips. They are the same beef, but the chimichurri is not spicy. And more spare ribs.

I did NOT get a picture of my pork tenderloin in a port sauce, and I didn't take pictures of any of DH's stuff....he gets a lot of salmon and things covered in honey mustard, and I can't stand the smell of either, so I stay far away. But he also ordered the ribs, the spicy beef tips, etc, as did DD...so I didn't take pictures of things we got multiple orders of.

One thing I love about La Cubanita is that it kind of challenges me in the food department. I am a picky eater...always have been, and I have a certain anxiety about trying new things. My mom was very strict about food and I had to try everything multiple times...things I didn't like, I had to eat again the next time. And I had to eat everything she gave me. And I got in trouble when I gagged at something that I really hated and nearly threw up. So it's very hard for me to try new things because I'm afraid of really disliking it. I know I'm an adult and I don't have to eat the rest, but it still embarrasses me, and I don't want to offend a chef by telling them I don't like their carefully prepared dish. I like this chain because they give you small portions...you don't feel like you are wasting a bunch of food if you don't eat the whole thing. And you know you won't go hungry if you don't like the dish you ordered....you just order a new round of something else. There's no real bad consequence if you don't like something, so I'm more open to taking risks. I don't have to order an entire entree of something...I get a small portion, and if I like it great, if I don't, no harm no foul.
This is how I discovered the flambini....it was like a flatbread pizza, kind of. It was a mini flour tortilla that had a seasoned meat on it....I think pork? And some sort of garlic aoli sauce I think...it was soooo good. I normally don't like sauces, but you can't special order things because they just make up a bunch of the things and bring them to the people who ordered them...they can't make one without the sauce, etc. So I was very nervous the first time I ordered the flambini, and it ended up being my favorite. And now it was gone from the menu.
So the Pincito and the beef tips with chimichurri sauce, and the pork in port sauce had all been new menu items that had paid off. There was one more item, a veggie option, that I was a bit nervous about. I don't like cheese unless it is melted. But, this item was NOT on the cold items page, it was in with the warm vegetarian options, so I thought the chance was good that the brie was melted. It was bruschetta with brie, zucchini, and Honey. It sounded very weird, but the only thing I don't like that this had on it was cheese....so I took a risk. It was right at the end of the meal...the last dish I got, and I was getting quite full, but wanted a crema catalana for dessert. I wish I had gotten a picture, but it came when I was eating the beef with chimichurri sauce, and I wanted to try it before that was gone in case I didn't like it. I could wash the taste out with the beef. So I didn't think to snap a picture. I wish I had ordered it earlier in the meal....it was the star of the night. SO good. It has no right to be that good with that combination of ingredients....cheese, zucchini and honey?? Together? But it was the best thing I ate all night, and it was too late to order more. 😥

And then dessert:

DS's vanilla ice cream with whipped cream and chocolate sauce:

It was after 10 when we left the restaurant. DD saw her geography teacher in the restaurant, but didn't want to disrupt her date, so she doesn't even know if the teacher saw her. She snapped a quick pic before we left so she can show her teacher "I know where you were on Saturday!" And then we walked back to the car. Both kids totally crashed when we got home...DD crashed already in the car, to be honest. It was a very long day, but a very good one.

The end.

Figgy1

Premium Member
Shhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The ferret is easily confused now that old age has settled upon him;)

donaldtoo

I saw it as well, I believe it is primarily a Universal Hollywood, but, they mention Florida as well. Disney is guilty of that all the time. It's one size fits all.

Upon further investigation, I made a mistake...
The majority of the commercial is specific to USO(F), and the Jaws scene about 0:22 in is labeled USH. Although, at USH Jaws is part of the backlot tram tour and not a ride-on attraction like it was at USO, and still is at USJ(Japan) in Osaka.
Thankfully, I didn’t lose any sleep over it last night, but, I wanted to make sure I admitted to and corrected my mistake...! ;)

Now, on to less pressing matters...! ;):)

donaldtoo

No mass for me this weekend, as I’m on the downhill side of a short case of crud (DWifey and DS had it earlier in the week - so far youngest DD hasn’t come down with it, and fingers crossed she doesn’t 🤞), that I noticed comin’ on early Friday afternoon, and don’t wanna’ chance goin’ out in public today.
Should be fine tomorrow, though...! :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom