The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

MinnieM123

Premium Member
To me College has always been some degree (tee hee) of scam. Not that things weren't taught and the variety of knowledge accumulated isn't personally gratifying and useful on a personal level, it just never seems to translate into anything we normally would use in life to help with being successful in life and work. For example, it never really taught me how to avoid run on sentences. Unless we are talking about a highly technical "how to" curriculum, what one is paying for is a simple piece of paper that gets a foot in the door that they otherwise wouldn't have.

I think it depends upon what type of career you want. Not all careers require college, but many do. For the careers that do need the degree, getting your foot in the door because you have it, may position you in a prime spot to succeed.

That was what my Associate Degree was about. Two years of just business related stuff, not basket weaving or ancient history. Just the basics of how to run and finance a business. When I got my ABA it was considered an asset, but, not anymore. If you graduate from college with less then $100K debt, it isn't consider to be viable.

I have an Associate diploma as well from a jr. college of business. Two years of exactly what I needed for the type of work I do. I never wanted to go into management or own a company, etc. So 4 years of regular college was not in the stars for me. No regrets, I made the right decision for what I wanted.

Dead2009

Horror Movie Guru

MinnieM123

Premium Member
California In 'Exceptional' 100-Year Earthquake Drought, Study Says

We're all doomed

Good. That can be my latest excuse blow off my diet. ;)

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
I have always wondered what percentage do check!

As I've mentioned before my DD current career is at a University in their Admissions department. Part of her responsibilities are confirming to employers and grad schools that students did attend and or graduate. The University she works for did check with the University of Illinois to verify she did graduate from there before they hired her, she received an email from UoI notifying her of an inquiry. She is in Grad School (not where she works) the University, Grad School also verified she earned her bachelors at UoI.

The world is a very different place than when many of us graduated college decades ago before computers were commonly used for verification. You can be in the middle of an interview and they can receive verification in minutes. So much different than the snail mail requests of bygone eras.

Gabe1

Good morning all! Guess what today is? Wait for it............................the day before we leave for our happy place!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 😍 I may not be able to sleep tonight! 😉 I will post some pictures here if anyone would like during our stay.

How exciting. Have a fantastic time!!!! But we are out of sync. Normally I end my vacation and you are just starting yours. We got our Spring Flings mixed up this time.

GodSpeed

Gabe1

Guess the food I eat is dirty? :hilarious:

All the foods I grow in my garden planters are Dirty too.

giphy.gif

Gabe1

That was what my Associate Degree was about. Two years of just business related stuff, not basket weaving or ancient history. Just the basics of how to run and finance a business. When I got my ABA it was considered an asset, but, not anymore. If you graduate from college with less then $100K debt, it isn't consider to be viable. I also found that many like you mentioned were from some wealth to begin with and either they or their family knew people that knew people. That is how they got started, but, they also had to prove themselves or they wouldn't really have progressed beyond middle management unless "Daddy" owned the said business.

Wow! Likely one of the most pointed posts I've read in a very long while. This from a father who once was proud of his daughter that went and graduated from Tulane.
Times change I guess.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom