The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

12in12

I'm doing so.
It seems a legitimate company with a legitimate registry and tax files as per the Canadian law.
The contract does not seem to have anything suspicius. They file the explanation of what I'm going to do very clearly.
They denote the wage per week AND the extra hours and shifts If I wanted extra bucks.

The only thing is that I will have to go to Quebec (I presume) to deliver the papers and get the basic training for 10 days.

The wage is still pretty high..

Maybe I should share the document with you all privately to get some insight and see if it makes you ring a red alert?
I'm so happy you did your homework and prevented getting scammed! I'm sorry that there are such horrible people in the world that try and take advantage of others.
Luckily you have another job option so I hope that works out for you.

I'm an ambivert ... and extroverted introvert... I like to talk to people, but I also like to be by myself.
I'm the same, happy to chat to anyone but also happy being on my own.

I really want a t-shirt with that text on it. 🐱

Rista1313

Since we go out to Dinner for Easter like Thanksgiving....we eat traditional foods before and after the holidays, sometimes over several meals. Tonight's dinner.

Color is a little off on a few of these photos, sun, yes sun peeking into kitchen. I'll take it. Pretend the Galumpkis sauce is light red.

My one Gran was not a great cook the other was. One smart enough to realize Irish family foods for holidays...not so great. Enter a portion of Easter. Polish Food.

Polish Cabbage Rolls {Galumpkis}, butter carrots, smoked polish sausage

View attachment 361560

View attachment 361561

View attachment 361562

View attachment 361563

View attachment 361564

We do Polish food for easter usually as well. I prefer fresh kielbasa vs Smoked.

Goofyernmost

I agree....but it also makes me stop and think. Sure, the parents bought admission for their kids, but if they couldn't get in on their own, how did they make it through? How did they pass their classes? Unless the quality of the education isn't any better than any other college....and then it's kind of a scam. Why is it considered so elite if completely average kids can do it? I just wonder.....ARE they better schools? Are they worth the exorbitant cost?
To me College has always been some degree (tee hee) of scam. Not that things weren't taught and the variety of knowledge accumulated isn't personally gratifying and useful on a personal level, it just never seems to translate into anything we normally would use in life to help with being successful in life and work. For example, it never really taught me how to avoid run on sentences. Unless we are talking about a highly technical "how to" curriculum, what one is paying for is a simple piece of paper that gets a foot in the door that they otherwise wouldn't have.

Rich kids don't need a degree to be on the "A" list. Their wallet size guarantees that. In this country rich means power and power is a self lubricating asset. People flock to and worship wealth as something bigger than anything else. So, they buy them a degree, or a bone spur, and all of a sudden they are infallible. They really didn't even need the degree, for them it is just a talking point. My wife used to insist that one acquired intelligence through education. I argued that intelligence comes before education. One cannot become educated without intelligence. But, that sheep skin sure does make a difference. From stuff that I have read, and experienced, a huge percentage of companies never verify that a person ever even attended the college listed. If they said, I have a Masters Degree in, let's say, economics from Yale. They never look past the word Yale. But, if they have a name or a bank account, there is never a doubt that the will be smarter then anyone else in the room. My 70+ years has never found that to be true.

Last edited:

Goofyernmost

We do Polish food for easter usually as well. I prefer fresh kielbasa vs Smoked.
That just reminded me of something. Back in the last century, (sigh), deli's and meat markets used to sell something called kielbasa loaf. Just a cold meat sandwich item. I loved that stuff and was my favorite cold meat. That along with many others have disappeared and the only choices left now are Ham, Turkey, Beef or Chicken. Man, I'm getting sick of those four choices. End of whine!

Rista1313

That just reminded me of something. Back in the last century, (sigh), deli's and meat markets used to sell something called kielbasa loaf. Just a cold meat sandwich item. I loved that stuff and was my favorite cold meat. That along with many others have disappeared and the only choices left now are Ham, Turkey, Beef or Chicken. Man, I'm getting sick of those four choices. End of whine!

Hmmm I've never heard of that one! I agree with you on the big 4, but don't forget a salami and bologna! Occasionally I'll see a olive loaf offered... hard pass for me... but someone must like it!

MySmallWorldof4

I'm sorry! I thought I had made it less complicated. Perhaps part of it is because this is a special education school? Most people don't have to do an intake process for school. This is just procedure for this school. At the end of 6th grade, all the kids moving on to high school have to have an evaluation to see if they need to stay in special ed or if they should go back to public school. They take an IQ test, a psychological evaluation, a standardized test, they are interviewed by the school psychologist. It's all very thorough. Then we were given advice based on their evaluation...they tell us which level they think best fits him, and which school. So his teachers think he should stay in special ed, and his current school fits best, but they don't offer the highest level, so he'll do the 2nd highest. Some kids will go to a school that's about a half hour away....that's the school where the more aggressive kids go. DS is more quiet....he's a rule follower, and if he has a meltdown, it's verbal, whereas kids who go to the other school are usually more prone to acting out more physically than verbally. They might throw things, or hit people, etc. So after it's determined where you should go and which level you should do, you have a sort of interview with the psychologist from that school. DS is staying in the same school, but going to the high school level, which has its own Psychologist. So she asked questions like....what do you expect from school, what are your hobbies, what are your favorite subjects, who is your teacher and what do you like about him/her...just kind of getting to know the kid and get a feel for who they are and what their needs might be. And then the parents are there to kind of fill in the blanks if there's anything missing.
DD did not have to do that. She had to take the standardized test, and every kid in the Netherlands gets advice from their school on what level school they can handle, since it's divided. But DD didn't have to have an IQ test or a psychological evaluation or an intake or any of that. That stuff is only for the special education, and I don't know if ALL special education schools do this, or if it's just that ours is really thorough.
I guess the best way to sum it up is, in the US, school is "one size fits all". Every high school is kind of the same....everyone goes to the school that's closest to their home unless they are going to a private school. But everyone gets the same education...everyone has the same requirements. If might differ from state to state or district to district, but every kid in a district has the same requirements for graduation. You have to have so many math credits, so many english credits, etc...and classes are mixed. You have kids who get straight A's in with the kids who can barely pass.
In the Netherlands, schools are more individualized. The kids who get straight A's only have classes with other kids who get straight A's, and it's all theoretical learning out of books, etc. Kids who can barely pass go to a completely different kind of school. It's less theoretical and more hands on/tactile and probably doesn't go as in depth. And the straight A kids have more requirements. DD has to do French AND German, where the lower level only does German. The lower level only goes 4 years, and they choose a career path after only 2 years and then their classes are already more narrowed down to that career path. The straight A kids go for 6 years, and choose their career path after....I'm not sure if it's 3 or 4 years. But they have a broader base in the beginning and then their chosen subjects will be much more in depth. It's kind of like the difference between an associates degree and a bachelors degree and a masters degree. The higher the level, the more in depth and longer the program is, only it's for high school, not college, if that makes more sense? Kids already start a sort of "major" in high school and their classes are geared toward that major, and the kids in their class will be in the same "program", so....not the sort of "one size fits all" education you get in the States. One school might offer more than one level, but the kids will be separated. DD has every class with the same 19 other kids, and all those kids were the straight A kids in their elementary schools. DD and one other girl from her elementary school are the only ones doing the highest level at the same school, so they are in the same class. The 45 other kids from her elementary school are in lower levels and are either at different schools, or at least in different classes.
DS will be in between....his program will be 5 years and will be mostly theoretical/book learning, but not quite as deep as DD's. Less homework, fewer subjects...

I hope that's more clear. I'm sorry...I know it took me a lot of research to figure out what VWO and Havo and VMBO and all that stuff mean, so I tried to keep that OUT of the post, but it sounds more complicated than it really is.
You did a great job clarifying this. Now that I get it, that is actually a good system. I don’t like the one size fits all approach they have here, which is one reason I homeschool.

MouseDreaming

Boo, the more I search about this canadian company.. the more I think its a scam.

The address they have for their american office.. is in the middle of an intersection. The buildings around this intersection do not match the number given..

And the Montreal address is.. well.. an empty looking office building that seems kinda far apart from downtown.. and not very "high tech".
But then, this is an online company. Not many have fancy headquarters.. only have offices for government and regulation purposes.. hmm...

edit
To expand.. their email systems are not self hosted, they use a third party multidomain payable.
They use a non normal domain registrar, normal ones are like godaddy.com.

edit2
I feel like a cyberdetective. I contacted a business nearby to check if the company really exists in the same building.

edit3
After very thoroughly investigation..
It seems that option is definitively a fraud. I'm going for the second job opportunity.

Seems the "financial agent" job is a scam and getting common nowadays..
http://www.antifraudcentre-centreantifraude.ca/fraud-escroquerie/job-emploi-eng.htm
Glad you were able to sift this one out, with your careful detective work.

MySmallWorldof4

🤣 Anything in particular, or just general pictures of what we do? I hope I can get some pictures of Symbolica this time, and I hope we can do it more than once. We went 2 years ago when Symbolica was new and the wait times were over an hour...no way. We did it once and that was it. Now, the hype should have died down a bit, and it's not a vacation week, so hopefully it won't be massively crowded.
Any pictures of attractions and food. :)

MySmallWorldof4

Boo, the more I search about this canadian company.. the more I think its a scam.

The address they have for their american office.. is in the middle of an intersection. The buildings around this intersection do not match the number given..

And the Montreal address is.. well.. an empty looking office building that seems kinda far apart from downtown.. and not very "high tech".
But then, this is an online company. Not many have fancy headquarters.. only have offices for government and regulation purposes.. hmm...

edit
To expand.. their email systems are not self hosted, they use a third party multidomain payable.
They use a non normal domain registrar, normal ones are like godaddy.com.

edit2
I feel like a cyberdetective. I contacted a business nearby to check if the company really exists in the same building.

edit3
After very thoroughly investigation..
It seems that option is definitively a fraud. I'm going for the second job opportunity.

Seems the "financial agent" job is a scam and getting common nowadays..
http://www.antifraudcentre-centreantifraude.ca/fraud-escroquerie/job-emploi-eng.htm
The like is for you doing your homework.

MySmallWorldof4

World has gone bat crazy.

And in addition to the above, my rant today is about the people who "bought": their college aged kids admission into some top colleges. But wait, there's more -- While two of the more well-known Hollywood types were at the federal courthouse in Boston today, there were actually some fans outside, waiting to get autographs and selfies with them??!! Are you kidding me??!!

Because of these mothers, (and about 18 other lesser known, but wealthy people, who bought college admission for their kids), the dreams of some other qualified, hard working, young people, never came to fruition, as they lost their acceptances by someone who stole it from them. I'm beside myself over what I saw on my local news stations here this evening. :mad:
This scam totally made me mad. I have a kid who is studying right now for a college placement exam, and these people just care that their kids get into a big name school just to prop up their self image.

MySmallWorldof4

I agree....but it also makes me stop and think. Sure, the parents bought admission for their kids, but if they couldn't get in on their own, how did they make it through? How did they pass their classes? Unless the quality of the education isn't any better than any other college....and then it's kind of a scam. Why is it considered so elite if completely average kids can do it? I just wonder.....ARE they better schools? Are they worth the exorbitant cost?
No and no. I believe any college/university will offer a great education if the student works hard at receiving it. Plenty of CEO’s went to ordinary small colleges and did great with their careers. Case in point , Bob Iger and Michael Eisner.

MySmallWorldof4

To me College has always been some degree (tee hee) of scam. Not that things weren't taught and the variety of knowledge accumulated isn't personally gratifying and useful on a personal level, it just never seems to translate into anything we normally would use in life to help with being successful in life and work. For example, it never really taught me how to avoid run on sentences. Unless we are talking about a highly technical "how to" curriculum, what one is paying for is a simple piece of paper that gets a foot in the door that they otherwise wouldn't have.

Rich kids don't need a degree to be on the "A" list. Their wallet size guarantees that. In this country rich means power and power is a self lubricating asset. People flock to and worship wealth as something bigger than anything else. So, they buy them a degree, or a bone spur, and all of a sudden they are infallible. They really didn't even need the degree, for them it is just a talking point. My wife used to insist that one acquired intelligence through education. I argued that intelligence comes before education. One cannot become educated without intelligence. But, that sheep skin sure does make a difference. From stuff that I have read, and experienced, a huge percentage of companies never verify that a person ever even attended the college listed. If they said, I have a Masters Degree in, let's say, economics from Yale. They never look past the word Yale. But, if they have a name or a bank account, there is never a doubt that the will be smarter then anyone else in the room. My 70+ years has never found that to be true.
I never understood the core subject requirements for college. Those were all done in high school. College should be used to study for whatever profession you are going for. This makes me think that the way school is set up as @Songbird76 said in The Netherlands, is a better way. Kids aren’t wasting 4 years. They could get work done for a major in 2, but then the business of college would be ruined. Think of the lost income.

MySmallWorldof4

Good morning all! Guess what today is? Wait for it............................the day before we leave for our happy place!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 😍 I may not be able to sleep tonight! 😉 I will post some pictures here if anyone would like during our stay.
Oh my gosh! I totally forgot it was coming up. I am so excited for you!!! Yes, take us along with plenty of pictures. Hope you can get the Orange Bird sipper. The Spinners will be performing this weekend and Dennis DeYoung from Styx will be there during the week.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom