The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

Goofyernmost

I recall a conversation I had with my father a long time ago. He told me that they paid $15,000 for the family's house (around mid-1950s). That basic American family home had full front and back yards, a two-car garage, a basement through attic, 2 bathrooms, 4 bedrooms on the 2nd floor, a livingroom, dining room, and kitchen.

Yup, $15,000 . . . and only he had a regular, full-time job. My mother stayed home and raised the 4 children.

Amazing, isn't it? 🤦
In 1963 my parents bought the home that my sister still lives in for $12000.00. ( thirteen years ago it was appraised at $240K) and it is the same basic house except my Dad built a two car detached garage) It was a three bedroom ranch, full basement and fireplace. At the time that was considered a notch above a starter home. My first one cost 25K in 1975. However, when comparing one has to make sure we remember what salaries were then. At the time my dad was making $7500. per year and supporting four of us. I was earning around $9000 per year and my wife was working part-time. What was helpful was daycare was only around $35.00 per week for two kids. Currently my children are paying around $1200. per month in mortgage payments, plus there are taxes and insurances and upkeep. My oldest just did a $100K remodel to theirs. I don't know how much they make, but, I know I can't ever wrap my brain around that. That's why I pay $900 per month to rent, $100 per year for insurance, no property tax, and all repairs are taken care of by making a simple phone call or text message to the office. It makes life so much simpler and when I pass on there will be no infighting about how to divide up my assets. There ain't none! Just fond memories of dear old dad.
Depending when I make that final move there might be a modest amount of cash, but, at this point my intention is that it will be pretty much all gone by then. Maybe I should just forget about the "fond" memories part.

Rista1313

In 1963 my parents bought the home that my sister still lives in for $12000.00. ( thirteen years ago it was appraised at $240K) and it is the same basic house except my Dad built a two car detached garage) It was a three bedroom ranch, full basement and fireplace. At the time that was considered a notch above a starter home. My first one cost 25K in 1975. However, when comparing one has to make sure we remember what salaries were then. At the time my dad was making $7500. per year and supporting four of us. I was earning around $9000 per year and my wife was working part-time. What was helpful was daycare was only around $35.00 per week for two kids. Currently my children are paying around $1200. per month in mortgage payments, plus there are taxes and insurances and upkeep. My oldest just did a $100K remodel to theirs. I don't know how much they make, but, I know I can't ever wrap my brain around that. That's why I pay $900 per month to rent, $100 per year for insurance, no property tax, and all repairs are taken care of by making a simple phone call or text message to the office. It makes life so much simpler and when I pass on there will be no infighting about how to divide up my assets. There ain't none! Just fond memories of dear old dad.
Depending when I make that final move there might be a modest amount of cash, but, at this point my intention is that it will be pretty much all gone by then. Maybe I should just forget about the "fond" memories part.

My parents moved into an apartment quite a few years ago too... they were tired of the upkeep and wanted something smaller once all us kids were gone. I don't expect any money to be left when they go... spend it while you got it!

I never really understood the concept of leaving your kids money when you die.

MySmallWorldof4

I'm taking a bath, and Belle keeps meowing outside the door. Loudly. And she's normally not a loud cat; Jasmine's the noisy one.

No privacy at all around this place.
So funny. In my house my bathroom is not a place of solitude either. Cannot tell you how many times a kid has walked in on me. So the other day I was telling dh that the only place I can find quiet was in our walk in closet. So we went in and just sat on the carpeted floor. Within a minute of us saying how nice and quiet it was, youngest came crying in the room, somehow knew we were in the closet and knocked on the door. Someone was being mean to her of course. No peace anywhere. :hilarious:

MySmallWorldof4

And for what people pay for a decent car, they could have bought my Mom’s house in the 70’s!
I noticed Florida housing prices have gone up since the housing crash. Wonder what will happen as interest rates go up. By me the prices are reasonable for what you get, but our house in Jersey would be about a million and in California would probably be closer to 2 million. We are about 1.5 hours from Baltimore and DC and some people commute there from here everyday because money goes further.

MySmallWorldof4

Had to upgrade just to be able to post! Kept getting that Amazon free gift pop up over and over.

Already walked the dog in 42° in the dark this morning, back to the room to get changed for the gym, realized I had to clean my sneakers off thanks to someone else’s dog.

At the hotel gym now then free breakfast LOL. Quick stop at Publix – Brian or Brad will need some sugar-free ice cream for tonight. Then quick shower and take Kylie to Best friends pet care.

B should arrive at HS by noon. I’m already tired!
So upgrading gets rid of that pop up that forces me to reload the page?

MySmallWorldof4

I have an abandoned trip report out there somewhere, keep thinking I’m going to pick it up, but it seems like so much work LOL. We’ve been three times already I think since then.

But I have to do it so I can delete the pics off my phone LOL!
Think the title had something to do with a cruise. Are you still planning a cruise?

StarWarsGirl

So funny. In my house my bathroom is not a place of solitude either. Cannot tell you how many times a kid has walked in on me. So the other day I was telling dh that the only place I can find quiet was in our walk in closet. So we went in and just sat on the carpeted floor. Within a minute of us saying how nice and quiet it was, youngest came crying in the room, somehow knew we were in the closet and knocked on the door. Someone was being mean to her of course. No peace anywhere. :hilarious:
That's funny. I don't ever recall my parents having to hide from me. Of course I was an only child for the first six years of my life, and my mom was determined not to be my entertainment committee. She said her most genius parenting hack was teaching me to operate the VCR. No waking them up if I was up first.

And then my brother and I didn't fight too much being so far apart in age. I had him very well trained to not touch my stuff and not to go in my room. I have a set of hanging bells on my door that jingle if anyone opens the door. I could hear from across the house if he was in there. He learned really quickly. He still is uncomfortable if I tell him to come in. He will not go in there without my permission. 😁 The bells are still there. Both cats are trained to ring them if they want out of my room.

Belle once followed me in the bathroom, jumped on the side of the bathtub, and then tried to come in with me. She learned very quickly that it's wet in there. 😂

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom