The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

SteveBrickNJ

Thanks for the tag @Songbird76.
@SteveBrickNJ hereā€™s a short MagicBand primer ~

MagicBands remain linked to your My Disney Experience account indefinitely. They will be listed as ā€œactiveā€ (meaning they can be used on subsequent trips) unless you (or Disney) deactivate them. It only takes one click to deactivate a band, so itā€™s simple to do.

The battery life is supposedly 2-3 years. After that time ride photos may not appear in your account but you can still use the band at any touchpoint (admission, fastpasses) and to unlock the room door.

You have the option to select a new band for every trip, as well as the option to decline a new band (which I do sometimes since I visit so often, and having lots of bands in an MDE account can cause problems.)

You can use old bands on a new trip. If you stay off-property you can still use a band for admission and fastpasses (though obviously not for charging or unlocking your room door.)

MagicBands can only be linked to one person so if you give one to someone else it has no functionality for them. So feel free to give yours to the little boy (I assume he wants to use it as a toy?) On general principles, I would deactivate the band before giving it to him.
Thanks for this response. It definitely helped me and maybe someone else learned something also. :)

MySmallWorldof4

DS told me yesterday that Europe is thinking of getting rid of the time change, and if it goes through, each country has to choose which time they want to keep. They must have talked about it at school. I've heard nothing about it, but he remembered the pros and cons of each way, etc. He gave me a whole spiel.
I prefer daylight savings. I like when it stays light out longer. When the sun starts going down around 4:30 I just want to go to bed. Too much dark is depressing.

Songbird76

There aren't really that many pro's and con's from what I have been able too understand. There is still the same amount of daylight hours no matter what they do, it is just at a different posted time. Originally set up to maximize the amount of daylight hours during growing season for farmers. Also since we would be more likely to be sleeping during the morning hours it was just to push the daylight one hour backwards so we aren't using as much energy and are able to not be going to work in the dark and coming home in the dark year round. That, however is more the fault of the suns location then having anything much to do with any clock. The only big thought about it now is that on daylight saving time, kids would be having to go to school and wait for a bus in the dark. Of course the obvious solution is to start school an hour later and end the day an hour later. I wish we could just pick one and stick to it.
I agree...just pick one. But, the thing is, in the Summer, the daylight lasts longer. In the winter, days are shorter....so I'd say pick the time that allows for the most time of daylight during normal working/school hours in the winter, and then just stick with that. Even if it means the Summer daylight hours are a bit wonky, as you said, the amount of daylight stays the same, it's just at a different time. But since there are more of them in the Summer, we can afford to have some of those hours at wonky times, more so than during the winter. But the switching back and forth is for the birds! It's awful for kids, and especially when you have a kid who doesn't deal well with change. There's no real need for it for the majority of people, so why do it? If farmers want to get up earlier, or stay up later for more daylight, more power to them. But for the rest of us who get no benefit from it, it seems a waste.

MySmallWorldof4

I'm interested in your thoughts on Tony's if you did indeed eat there. The last couple of times we ate there it was pretty bad, so I did not put it on my list this time, even though Lady and the Tramp is my favorite.
BUT, a couple of days ago, someone posted a link to a PDF on the Disney Food Blog site that listed all the restaurants that will accept the dining plan in 2019, and Homecomin', Teppan Edo, and T-rex were all missing from it. In fact, most of the World Showcase TS venues were not listed, and there was not a single TS venue from Disney Springs on that list. So we're making contingincy plans in case that list is final, though we could not find that list from the official Disney site. If we have to replace those places on our list, I'd consider Tony's if it's better....I heard they got a new chef.
That would be really bad if most of the TS at World Showcase weren't on that list. Actually doesn't make any sense. Maybe the list is wrong.

Songbird76

You too, huh? Got up at 3 to noisy cat. luckily I managed to get back to bed. We had a UPS delivery last night. Usually our deliveries come by 3. It got to 8 and I said to dh that it wasn't coming. So we fell asleep at 9 and then the dogs start barking. UPS guy came at 9:08 last night. Good thing we had the front lights on. I felt bad for him. Dh ordered some exercise slide board thing that weighs 40 pounds, and I had ordered stuff from Zulily and Land's End.(Got 50% off winter coats and 2 kids needed new ones.) So I felt bad that he had to deliver so much stuff so late at night. I don't know if it was our regular guy though.
The other side of that is he didn't have to come out that late just to deliver one thing, and he didn't have to come back multiple times. At least he got it all delivered at once, right? I think I'd rather only make one trip, if I were the delivery person.

SteveBrickNJ

I have to shave and shower so my reply for now will be brief. The staff was nice. The food was similar to Olive Garden. My family of three all liked it and casually...it SEEMED to me like the FEEL in the room was upbeat by other diners also.
I'm back. My teen is taking her turn. Getting back to Tony's....it is not equal to some of the "real" Italian Restaurants run by 2nd generation Italians here in NJ. BUT, it was close to or equal to(opinions will vary) the chain restaurant Olive Garden. Others on here MAY wish to give it another chance.

Last edited:

Songbird76

Thanks for the tag @Songbird76.
@SteveBrickNJ hereā€™s a short MagicBand primer ~

MagicBands remain linked to your My Disney Experience account indefinitely. They will be listed as ā€œactiveā€ (meaning they can be used on subsequent trips) unless you (or Disney) deactivate them. It only takes one click to deactivate a band, so itā€™s simple to do.

The battery life is supposedly 2-3 years. After that time ride photos may not appear in your account but you can still use the band at any touchpoint (admission, fastpasses) and to unlock the room door.

You have the option to select a new band for every trip, as well as the option to decline a new band (which I do sometimes since I visit so often, and having lots of bands in an MDE account can cause problems.)

You can use old bands on a new trip. If you stay off-property you can still use a band for admission and fastpasses (though obviously not for charging or unlocking your room door.)

MagicBands can only be linked to one person so if you give one to someone else it has no functionality for them. So feel free to give yours to the little boy (I assume he wants to use it as a toy?) On general principles, I would deactivate the band before giving it to him.
Thank you! I knew you'd be able to give a rundown of how it works. You have much knowledge!

SteveBrickNJ

This is our 6th and possibly last visit as a family of three. We talked last night before bed that we may now just wait until our daughter gets married down the road and eventually has a child. When that grandchild is 4 or 5 then we'll take him or her. There are so many places on the earth we would like to see and we CURRENTLY feel that 6 visits has satisfied our vacation needs.

MySmallWorldof4

I agree...just pick one. But, the thing is, in the Summer, the daylight lasts longer. In the winter, days are shorter....so I'd say pick the time that allows for the most time of daylight during normal working/school hours in the winter, and then just stick with that. Even if it means the Summer daylight hours are a bit wonky, as you said, the amount of daylight stays the same, it's just at a different time. But since there are more of them in the Summer, we can afford to have some of those hours at wonky times, more so than during the winter. But the switching back and forth is for the birds! It's awful for kids, and especially when you have a kid who doesn't deal well with change. There's no real need for it for the majority of people, so why do it? If farmers want to get up earlier, or stay up later for more daylight, more power to them. But for the rest of us who get no benefit from it, it seems a waste.
I have heard that it takes 1 day for every hour change for your body to get used to time changes. Maybe they should change times on Friday nights instead of Saturday nights.

SteveBrickNJ

This is our 6th and possibly last visit as a family of three. We talked last night before bed that we may now just wait until our daughter gets married down the road and eventually has a child. When that grandchild is 4 or 5 then we'll take him or her. There are so many places on the earth we would like to see and we CURRENTLY feel that 6 visits has satisfied our vacation needs.
Having said that...I should quickly point out that at 9:30 am we have a FP for Navi River and then after that we will likely get in the stand by line for Flight of Passage. This will be OUR FIRST TIME for these two attractions!

MySmallWorldof4

We're getting close to 30, and still not enough.;):hilarious:

MySmallWorldof4

Having said that...I should quickly point out that at 9:30 am we have a FP for Navi River and then after that we will likely get in the stand by line for Flight of Passage. This will be OUR FIRST TIME for these two attractions!
Hope your wait isn't too horribly long for Flight of Passage. If anyone gets motion sickness you may want to skip it though. My ds did not do well on that ride. That is a never again for him.

Songbird76

That would be really bad if most of the TS at World Showcase weren't on that list. Actually doesn't make any sense. Maybe the list is wrong.
Well, it's really confusing. It was definitely from the Official Disney site...the URL was from the Disney site. BUT, I couldn't get to that list from anywhere on the Disney site, so I'm not sure where this guy got it. And if I went to the main Dining page on the Disney site, and I typed in Teppan Edo, it said it accepted some dining plans, but if you clicked on that link, it only gave you the 2018 credits, not 2019, whereas other restuarants gave both 2018 AND 2019. And DD found a different list on another website, not affiliated with Disney, and that DID list at least Teppan Edo on the 2019 side. But I can't imagine there wouldn't be a single TS restaurant from DS that accepts the dining plan. That just seems odd. And if the dining plan is not valid in over half the restaurants in Epcot, and none in DS, that significantly decreases the value of the dining plan. It would make no sense. Who would shell out the money for a dining plan they can't use? Disney would be shooting themselves in the foot by having a bunch of restaurants on property that didn't accept the dining plan. Fewer people would buy the dining plan, and they'd make a lot less money, in a time when they have a lot of HUGE projects going and they seem to be trying to cut corners to pay for said projects. So I'm hoping that it's just that they haven't negotiated the 2019 contracts yet and the list isn't final/official.

SteveBrickNJ

We're getting close to 30, and still not enough.;):hilarious:
I know you are not alone. My friends were married in the early 90s....had their honeymoon in a Disney and go back every other year since then. For us, It's A Small World and Pirates of the C have lost their original magic. I did LOVE Splash Mountain as usual. That never fails to get my heart beating faster ....My wife is up now. My time here is maybe 15 more minutes

Figgy1

You too, huh? Got up at 3 to noisy cat. luckily I managed to get back to bed. We had a UPS delivery last night. Usually our deliveries come by 3. It got to 8 and I said to dh that it wasn't coming. So we fell asleep at 9 and then the dogs start barking. UPS guy came at 9:08 last night. Good thing we had the front lights on. I felt bad for him. Dh ordered some exercise slide board thing that weighs 40 pounds, and I had ordered stuff from Zulily and Land's End.(Got 50% off winter coats and 2 kids needed new ones.) So I felt bad that he had to deliver so much stuff so late at night. I don't know if it was our regular guy though.
Our UPS person showed up about 7 on Tuesday not that I'm complaining as it got ordered Saturday:joyfull:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom