The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

MinnieM123

Premium Member
It's not very strong, wind wise right now, but, it is still expected to be a tropical storm before the end of the day, if not soon. The problem right now is that those clouds contain a whole lot of moisture and it is moving very slowly. For us, that means that a lot of water is mixing in with an already fairly saturated soil and that combined with 35 to 45 mph winds make the trees want to uproot and head for dryer places. Fallen trees equal, power lines down, equals a whole lot of difficulty in staying cool in a very warm place. I have a Coleman stove that I have been hanging onto for the past 15 years. I've never used it, but, I tugged it out and checked the connections for leaks and when that was clear I tested the burners and voila they worked. It will be used sparingly with a whole lot of ventilation, but, at least not everything needs to be cold.

Still, be careful, please. A lot of us care about you. My bro emailed me last night with about the same storm update as you referenced above. Concerned about the amount of rain coming his way (and yours), though.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Again, behind in the news. So very sorry to hear of this. Prayers to all affected.

On a side note...
My grandparents, on my moms side, farm was about a half mile away from a neighboring farmhouse that blew up from a gas explosion.
They had been out for a coupla’ days. The first person walking into the house simply flipped a light switch and the whole place went up. It was a family of 6.
And, IIRC, 2 died at the scene, and the other 4 spent a good bit of time in Brooke Army Medical Center in San Antonio.
I remember my grandparents telling us how much the explosion shook their home.

Again, sincerest prayers to all affected.

Gas is a very dangerous thing. Very sorry to hear about the family in your grandparents' area that experienced a tragedy like that. And what's worse, is that they are far from the first to have this happen, across the country.

Thank you for your concern, as I (and so many others) have been rattled, to say the least over the developments of the past 2 days. In short, the governor of the state and mayor of the city (Lawrence) have been front and center, working their butts off with all kinds of support from first responders, state and federal agencies, volunteers, and utilities. Except -- for the utility, Columbia Gas-- that had been ABSENT for TWENTY-THREE HOURS from any and all press conferences and press releases!! :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

The Governor called a state of emergency and the NTSB is investigating the gas company. One of the sleazy reports that came out was that the company waited extra long hours after the explosions/fires, so that they could use a disaster excuse (after X number of hours) to call in other companies -- to AVOID FOOTING the major part of the COST FOR THIS CATASTROPHE. They promised things would happen and nothing happened, according to the officials -- who are just beside themselves over this.

The company was so bad and incompetent (criminal . . .), that the Governor took the lead AWAY from that company yesterday, and appointed another company in MA, Eversource, to clean up the MESS, secure the safety of the gas lines, and to determine when the THOUSANDS of displaced residents up in that area can safely return home. The power is still cut to those 3 areas--and this is a very LARGE area.

I have a friend from work who volunteered for the Red Cross yesterday, and they're serving meals, etc., to various shelters for thousands of residents in the area. She said it's just awful what is going on, and people are at their wits end.

Figgy1

Premium Member
Gas is a very dangerous thing. Very sorry to hear about the family in your grandparents' area that experienced a tragedy like that. And what's worse, is that they are far from the first to have this happen, across the country.

Thank you for your concern, as I (and so many others) have been rattled, to say the least over the developments of the past 2 days. In short, the governor of the state and mayor of the city (Lawrence) have been front and center, working their butts off with all kinds of support from first responders, state and federal agencies, volunteers, and utilities. Except -- for the utility, Columbia Gas-- that had been ABSENT for TWENTY-THREE HOURS from any and all press conferences and press releases!! :banghead::banghead::banghead:

The Governor called a state of emergency and the NTSB is investigating the gas company. One of the sleazy reports that came out was that the company waited extra long hours after the explosions/fires, so that they could use a disaster excuse (after X number of hours) to call in other companies -- to AVOID FOOTING the major part of the COST FOR THIS CATASTROPHE. They promised things would happen and nothing happened, according to the officials -- who are just beside themselves over this.

The company was so bad and incompetent (criminal . . .), that the Governor took the lead AWAY from that company yesterday, and appointed another company in MA, Eversource, to clean up the MESS, secure the safety of the gas lines, and to determine when the THOUSANDS of displaced residents up in that area can safely return home. The power is still cut to those 3 areas--and this is a very LARGE area.

I have a friend from work who volunteered for the Red Cross yesterday, and they're serving meals, etc., to various shelters for thousands of residents in the area. She said it's just awful what is going on, and people are at their wits end.
The like is because you were nowhere near it and somebody is taking control

MinnieM123

Premium Member
The like is because you were nowhere near it and somebody is taking control

Been a very tough week here between that, and worrying about my bro down in NC. Also, a close colleague at work got laid off this week--one of our computer IT guys. Got sucker punched with absolutely no warning from management, and many of us are shocked and dismayed at his loss. I have nothing positive to say about anything at all right now.

CoreNovawarAMM

Got up at roughly 6am this morning, in order to get to the Studios for Passholder Playtime (Toy Story Land)! We ended up riding (in order) Slinky, TSM, Slinky, Aliens, and then Slinky again twice. Phew! All in about an hour’s time. By that time the park’s regular hours had started, so it was getting crowded by the time we left TSL. We also got to ride RnRC, ToT, and Star Tours (all walk-ons!) before leaving.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Been a very tough week here between that, and worrying about my bro down in NC. Also, a close colleague at work got laid off this week--one of our computer IT guys. Got sucker punched with absolutely no warning from management, and many of us are shocked and dismayed at his loss. I have nothing positive to say about anything at all right now.

Sorry about the tough week. That is a big bummer about your friend losing their job, and a bummer for you too to lose trusted colleauge at work. Two of my close colleagues at work left this year too, it is strange right now not to have them around, so I understand your feeling. I hope your brother stays safe. Hugs.:)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom