The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

Cesar R M

My parents aren't letting me get my new car until they sell my other one. What precludes me from getting my car...I have no idea. But my dad is literally refusing to go with me to look at the paperwork until he has a definitive offer on mine.

Needless to say, I'm really not happy with them.
but.. isnt it YOUR money?

Why do they have a say on this?

21stamps

Autotrader offered $1447 for the car. Much higher. And the dealer that participates is one that my uncle and grandfather use.

So hopefully I can still get my car today. We just won't trade in my old one if the difference is almost $1000

My parents aren't letting me get my new car until they sell my other one. What precludes me from getting my car...I have no idea. But my dad is literally refusing to go with me to look at the paperwork until he has a definitive offer on mine.

Here’s what I would do in your shoes, if $500 wasn’t acceptable...
Go to a dealer, CarMax, Toyota dealer.. used car lot.. anywhere.. — ask them to BUY your car. See what number they give you.
Autotrader, KBB, NADA, even BlackBook..they can’t see your car.. they can’t know how much it would cost to fix everything- which is unlikely that anyone will.. and they don’t know the price it will get wholesale. They’re consumer estimate guides, but they don’t actually buy cars.. most importantly- once a car is older with problems, the numbers aren’t even a good consumer estimate, they’re more misleading than anything at that point.

Or- take photos and post it online to sell it yourself.

You’re going to drive yourself crazy over a minuscule amount of money/headache/time wasted.. you know the car you want, you like the price of it.. So just buy it! Deal with your other car separately.

I think you would feel a lot better. :)

Last edited:

StarWarsGirl

Here’s what I would do in your shoes, if $500 wasn’t acceptable...
Go to a dealer, CarMax, Toyota dealer.. used car lot.. anywhere.. — ask them to BUY your car. See what number they give you.
Autotrader, KBB, NADA, even BlackBook..they can’t see your car.. they can’t know how much it would cost to fix everything- which is unlikely that anyone will.. and they don’t know the price it will get wholesale. They’re consumer estimate guides, but they don’t actually buy cars.. most importantly- once a car is older with problems, the numbers aren’t even a good consumer estimate, they’re more misleading than anything at that point.

Or- take photos and post it online to sell it yourself.

You’re going to drive yourself crazy over a minuscule amount of money/headache/time wasted.. you know the car you want, you like the price of it.. So just buy it! Deal with your other car separately.

I think you would feel a lot better. :)
@StarWarsGirl I Agree with Cesar!!!
You’re an adult, with a full time career, it’s your money. Time to have a talk with your Dad and explain that to him.
Oh, we had a full on argument earlier today. So to appease him slightly, I delayed 24 hours. But I told my mom that this is it.

Considering I ran it up to CarMax on my lunch break today, I did the AutoNation price and found it for higher, so either way, they can get more...not sure what the problem is. Also, not sure why on Earth they think this car is worth that much...it's a defunct brand car from 15 years ago that's been in two accidents with barely-working AC.

21stamps

Hopefully it will be in Ohio, so you won't have to travel far. But it probably will be on the coast somewhere.

I’m thinking California.. but I’d love if it wasn’t!

I put a small dent in my Christmas shopping and my older ds' birthday gift for next year. The best thing about E3 is the bulk of their list is done when it is:D
ever bring a male into a video game store they buy the deluxe package:banghead:
I was going to any way just for the pin;)

I’m covering my ears!! I do NOT want to think about Christmas!!!

(But yay for you :) )
I saw that on the news and all I could think was, there goes all your money:hilarious:

I know, right :( Well at least I know what our vacation will be in 2026. ;)

21stamps

Oh, we had a full on argument earlier today. So to appease him slightly, I delayed 24 hours. But I told my mom that this is it.

Considering I ran it up to CarMax on my lunch break today, I did the AutoNation price and found it for higher, so either way, they can get more...not sure what the problem is. Also, not sure why on Earth they think this car is worth that much...it's a defunct brand car from 15 years ago that's been in two accidents with barely-working AC.

How much of a difference was CarMax and the Honda dealer? Can’t you just sell it to CarMax then use that money for the new car?

StarWarsGirl

How much of a difference was CarMax and the Honda dealer? Can’t you just sell it to CarMax then use that money for the new car?
It was $200 more. They would sell it to my uncle for that. Honda actually offered to match that.

Oh, here's the kicker...I don't even get to keep the money. Even if we traded it in, I would have to pay them back. "Well, you can do something nice for your parents..." said my dad. Um....

21stamps

It was $200 more. They would sell it to my uncle for that. Honda actually offered to match that.

Oh, here's the kicker...I don't even get to keep the money. Even if we traded it in, I would have to pay them back. "Well, you can do something nice for your parents..." said my dad. Um....

Ok, definitely don’t trade it in if you’re paying your parents back!
I’m just confused as to how/why your car is a stipulation for the new car, can you just go pick up the new one now, and sell the old to your uncle today? Hand your parents the cash from the transaction.

Cesar R M

Because I still have to live with them...I made that point. I am really, really irritated with them.

I rescheduled the pick up for tomorrow and flat out told my parents I'm not rescheduling. So...they have 24 hours.
Its still your money regardless if you live with them or not.
The whole thing "you live with us" is about purchases that stay in YOUR car with THEIR money or THEIR responsibility.

Since its YOUR money and it will be YOUR property and YOUR responsibility.. they have ZERO right to tell you what to do with YOUR car.

Cesar R M

Maybe the rarity of the parts is what they're looking for. Sometimes fixing cars with rare non off the brand parts is more priced than buying a new car or original parts that are being sold continuously with no issue.

Cesar R M

So.. this means your dad expects all the money that you sold the car for.. to be directly paid TO HIM?
No surprise he wants more than 1,000 now...

StarWarsGirl

So.. this means your dad expects all the money that you sold the car for.. to be directly paid TO HIM?
No surprise he wants more than 1,000 now...
Yeah. My mom was trying to talk him around otherwise, but I seriously doubt she'll succeed.

It's a good thing they're going away in a week because I'm really irritated with them and looking forward to it...

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member

Ugh, I don't think I can like this post. After all this time you were so close....

21stamps

Yeah. My mom was trying to talk him around otherwise, but I seriously doubt she'll succeed.

It's a good thing they're going away in a week because I'm really irritated with them and looking forward to it...

Do you need your dad to go with you? If he’s not co-signing then I would just do it alone at this point. It might go along way to showing them that you’re an adult who can and will make their own decisions.
Give them the money for your old car, fine.. but you can do that separately from the new car transaction.

StarWarsGirl

Do you need your dad to go with you? If he’s not co-signing then I would just do it alone at this point. It might go along way to showing them that you’re an adult who can and will make their own decisions.
Give them the money for your old car, fine.. but you can do that separately from the new car transaction.
Only because my mom is off at the other dealer that offered to buy the car right now, and if she succeeds, then I will need a ride, and he will have to be the one to do it. My mom will be working too late and will have my brother.

Honestly, I'm to that point, though. It's mostly him, not my mom (she just sided with him), and I've known that he doesn't view me as an adult, I just didn't know it was this bad.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom