The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

Songbird76

I’m not a fine jewelry gal at all. I buy silver or costume jewelery, I’ve always been a fan of multiple bracelets/bangle bracelets, fun earrings.
I am a handbag girl though.

So I used to hang photos of handbags on my ‘wish list’ on my pin board.. always as a goal (and doubled as a reminder to my boyfriend and then husband;) ). He never had to guess what to get me for my bday or Christmas:hilarious: One day before our wedding I jokingly said, “You know that diamonds are not a girl’s best friend, right? Hermès bags are this girls best friend.” He laughed..I told him ‘Just wanted to save you a trip to the jewelery store, forget shiny things, look to Birkin or Kelly instead.”

Ha ha.
I'm soooooo picky about my bags. Birkin wouldn't work for me. I need a bag that's big enough to hold all my junk, but small enough that it will fit in my bike bag. And it needs to have lots of pockets/compartments to separate all the stuff, so I can have one pocket for like...kleenex, so I don't have to go looking for them in the jumble, and one pocket for comb, nail file, lipgloss, breath mints, etc, one compartment for pens and such, a place for my wallet, a compartment for the pharmacy....eye drops, ibuprophen, immodium.....and now I also have glasses so I need to fit in my case AND my prescription sunglasses in their case, too. I have strict needs.

Songbird76

He fought through cancer in his mouth and throat area last year. His dentist first noticed it and he wasn't a smoker or tobacco user. Around Thanksgiving this year things were going well, and then less than a month ago he started feeling out of sorts and went back in. He was set to do intensive treatments starting this week, I believe. He was about 38 years old and had a lovely 3 year daughter. It is just so sad.

Hubs is dealing ok with it, but he didn't sleep much and I didn't sleep much worrying about him. We will probably have to miss the funeral, which Brad is pretty upset about. The funeral hasn't been announced yet but we are assuming it will be Saturday and we will be on our way to WDW that day. I really hope for hubs sake the funeral is on Friday. I won't be able to with him because it was announced a week ago that we don't have any subs for that day but at least he could go.
Oh gosh...so young! That's so sad! I hope the funeral is on Friday so Brad can go! His wife must just be...I don't think there are words for how she must be feeling.

21stamps

I think it's brilliant......It's right there, but it's also masked so not everyone makes the connection right away...so clever. I can't even count the number of times I've read the series. Love love love it.
I’ve never read the books.. but we will soon. We have seen the first movie.

I'm soooooo picky about my bags. Birkin wouldn't work for me. I need a bag that's big enough to hold all my junk, but small enough that it will fit in my bike bag. And it needs to have lots of pockets/compartments to separate all the stuff, so I can have one pocket for like...kleenex, so I don't have to go looking for them in the jumble, and one pocket for comb, nail file, lipgloss, breath mints, etc, one compartment for pens and such, a place for my wallet, a compartment for the pharmacy....eye drops, ibuprophen, immodium.....and now I also have glasses so I need to fit in my case AND my prescription sunglasses in their case, too. I have strict needs.
I like large handbags too.. even though these days I’m mostly in a crossover bag.
I don’t have a Birkin.. I have one Kelly bag, and will probably never own another Hermès bag. My Kelly is not one of the “trendy” ones at all..I wanted classic, black bag, not too big nor too small..because I plan on keeping it forever. It’s like my 3rd child ;)

I discovered Kipling about a year and a half ago.. LOVE!! These are my go-to now. Super durable, perfect for outings, easy to clean.
The funny thing is.. even though mine are small crossovers, I still somehow manage to lose things within.. how that’s possible, I haven’t a clue:hilarious:
All I know is, as I’ve grown older, comfort and ease of cleaning are becoming the most important things that I look for in any item. I no longer have a wish list of pretty handbags these days, practicality has taken over. Pretty soon I’ll be in ugly moon shoes and moo moos. ;)

Last edited:

Songbird76

This part I agree with, once T started early learning at age 1.. I specifically chose a school that integrated sign language, because we signed at home. It was cute, we had to purchase “school bags” from the school, and the kids came home with rings of words they were learning, as well as the signs. I can’t rave enough about his teachers there.

But once we switched to preschool/PreK, ages 3-5.. it was nuts. Homework at age 3 was crazy to me..BUT, I was on the bandwagon that we had to do this to get into kindergarten! And my kid was going to have an advantage in life!
Fast forward til now, I don’t think it matters that he could read at age 3..or that he had science and geography at that age. They all learn the same subjects now, kids got into his same kindergarten who went to different preschools.
Like I said, at the time I thought it was great. He does well in school, but I can’t say it’s because of the PreSchool/PreK days..example- Kindergarten in geography-when they did the continents, great, he knew them already, but he’s just repeating the exact thing that he already did 2 years before.. so I’ve asked myself in hindsight, was it necessary? Looking back, and looking forward to his future, I would have been better off choosing a different path, and put half the money in his high school fund where I think it will make more of a difference.

I’m friends with a married couple who’s daughter is 6 months old, they’re arguing over preschool enrollment right now, ongoing argument for the past 3 months.. husband thinks the amount of the school she wants is crazy, wife thinks it’s necessary to be in that specific school. I’ve gave them my thoughts on it- Find a happy median. There are plenty of schools that have teachers with early education degrees, I definitely wouldn’t choose any less...but not all are strict curriculum/homework/shocking tuitions. Parents shouldn’t need to make that decision and get on wait lists for their child during infancy, and I’ve yet to see any proof of kids having a major advantage.. even though they “sell” us on the promise that they will. (I should add that he was happy at his preschool, so was I..this is all in retrospect)

That’s just my personal thoughts/regrets when looking back now that he’s been in elementary school for a couple of years. Hindsight is always 20/20 I guess.;)
My thoughts....we chose a preschool that was within walking distance of our house, specifically because it was within walking distance of our house. I had no drivers license and I wasn't comfortable riding a bike with my kid in a seat in front or back....so it had to be walking. We did no research into their methods. The kids could start from 2.5 years old and they went twice a week, once in the morning and once in the afternoon. When they turned 3 they got a 3rd session per week....so, something like 8 hours per week. They didn't do anything like learning to read yet....it was all the basic stuff like colors and shapes and making macaroni necklaces and painting pictures. Nothing spectacular. We, as parents, took our kids to the library, we read to them, we counted with them, never talked baby talk to them, we played with them and did easy little crafts with them....but we didn't put them in any kinds of lessons every week or follow any curriculum. My DD is now 11, almost 12, and she's not only at the top of her class academically, but she's in the top like....5% in the nation, maybe even top 1 or 2%. DS is 10, and while he has special needs, he's also way up there in the top 10% or so...probably closer to the 5%, but I don't know that for sure. It's great that you want to give your kids the best advantages you can give them in life, but in my experience, just investing the time with them and doing educational things with them, being the example of wanting to learn, that's what made the difference for our kids. We didn't do any special school or follow some elite program or curriculum and our kids are still both at the top for their age groups. We don't pressure them that they have to BE the best, just that they have to DO their best, and it's worked for us so far. Maybe it's different there...I don't know. But we actually live in a low-income neighborhood in which a high percentage of kids don't even speak Dutch until they get into school. Our school is not known for having the best of the best teachers, or for having a lot of kids who achieve high scores on standardized tests, or having the best resources. But if a kid values learning, they'll learn. Both my kids basically taught themselves to read. I taught them the alphabet and to sound out words, but there was no real method and the school refused to teach them until 1st grade....both of my kids could read before 1st grade, just because they wanted to learn how. I wouldn't stress too much about which school a kid goes to, but more about the values you are teaching them and modeling for them, and the time you are spending doing things that are fun, but they can also learn from....they can learn just from a trip to the grocery store or the playground. It doesn't have to be a highly-structured environment. Just my 2 cents.

Songbird76

I like large handbags too.. even though these days I’m mostly in a crossover bag.
I don’t have a Birkin.. I have one Kelly bag, and will probably never own another Hermès bag. My Kelly is not one of the “trendy” ones at all..I wanted classic, black bag, not too big nor too small..because I plan on keeping it forever. It’s like my 3rd child ;)

I discovered Kipling about a year and a half ago.. LOVE!! These are my go-to now. Super durable, perfect for outings, easy to clean.
The funny thing is.. even though mine are small crossovers, I still somehow manage to lose things within.. how that’s possible, I haven’t a clue:hilarious:
All I know is, as I’ve grown older, comfort and ease of cleaning are becoming the most important things that I look for in any item. I no longer have a wish list of pretty handbags these days, practicality has taken over. Pretty soon I’ll be in ugly moon shoes and moo moos. ;)
Ha!! I had a Thirty-One purse that I LOVED....it was really durable and I used it for years....tons of compartments and pockets and it was the perfect size to fit into my bike bag, but also had a shoulder strap for if I went shopping and needed both bike bags for my purchases. But it wore out and I haven't been able to find one I like as well ever since, but my husband thinks Thirty-One is too expensive, plus I have to order it from a friend and have it shipped here, because we don't have Thirty-One here at all. I love my suite skirt purse from Thirty-One as well, but it's not quite big enough and doesn't have enough compartments...I only use it for nice occassions when my every day bag isn't appropriate. I've never heard of Kelly...I'll have to look that one up.

21stamps

Ha!! I had a Thirty-One purse that I LOVED....it was really durable and I used it for years....tons of compartments and pockets and it was the perfect size to fit into my bike bag, but also had a shoulder strap for if I went shopping and needed both bike bags for my purchases. But it wore out and I haven't been able to find one I like as well ever since, but my husband thinks Thirty-One is too expensive, plus I have to order it from a friend and have it shipped here, because we don't have Thirty-One here at all. I love my suite skirt purse from Thirty-One as well, but it's not quite big enough and doesn't have enough compartments...I only use it for nice occassions when my every day bag isn't appropriate. I've never heard of Kelly...I'll have to look that one up.
Look into Kipling! They have different sizes, reasonably priced, I have 3 and purchased 2 of them during great end of season sales for 25 or 30% off.
I use them at amusement parks, at sports, they get thrown on the ground, shoved in lockers, etc.. to clean- I wipe down with a paper towel. Perfection :)

Heads up though- they come with some weird stuffed animal attached.. I just remove and give to my niece.lol

StarWarsGirl

This is why I have never purchased anything at IKEA. I would never put the item together, I know it.
We got it from Target, but yeah, it was a pain. I was going to go home much sooner, but I could tell she was like, "Help!" Thankfully the manufacturer had some online videos, or it would have been even worse.

I'm so sore today from walking upstairs. It's ridiculous.

21stamps

We got it from Target, but yeah, it was a pain. I was going to go home much sooner, but I could tell she was like, "Help!" Thankfully the manufacturer had some online videos, or it would have been even worse.

I'm so sore today from walking upstairs. It's ridiculous.
I’ve seen some really cute stuff at Target too, and then I look at the box and the required assembly..realize I can’t do it.
If you ever want to come to my area please let me know.. there’s a loft bed from IKEA that I’ve been wanting for my son for the past couple of years.. since you’re experienced now, maybe you could help me with the project? ;)

21stamps

My thoughts....we chose a preschool that was within walking distance of our house, specifically because it was within walking distance of our house. I had no drivers license and I wasn't comfortable riding a bike with my kid in a seat in front or back....so it had to be walking. We did no research into their methods. The kids could start from 2.5 years old and they went twice a week, once in the morning and once in the afternoon. When they turned 3 they got a 3rd session per week....so, something like 8 hours per week. They didn't do anything like learning to read yet....it was all the basic stuff like colors and shapes and making macaroni necklaces and painting pictures. Nothing spectacular. We, as parents, took our kids to the library, we read to them, we counted with them, never talked baby talk to them, we played with them and did easy little crafts with them....but we didn't put them in any kinds of lessons every week or follow any curriculum. My DD is now 11, almost 12, and she's not only at the top of her class academically, but she's in the top like....5% in the nation, maybe even top 1 or 2%. DS is 10, and while he has special needs, he's also way up there in the top 10% or so...probably closer to the 5%, but I don't know that for sure. It's great that you want to give your kids the best advantages you can give them in life, but in my experience, just investing the time with them and doing educational things with them, being the example of wanting to learn, that's what made the difference for our kids. We didn't do any special school or follow some elite program or curriculum and our kids are still both at the top for their age groups. We don't pressure them that they have to BE the best, just that they have to DO their best, and it's worked for us so far. Maybe it's different there...I don't know. But we actually live in a low-income neighborhood in which a high percentage of kids don't even speak Dutch until they get into school. Our school is not known for having the best of the best teachers, or for having a lot of kids who achieve high scores on standardized tests, or having the best resources. But if a kid values learning, they'll learn. Both my kids basically taught themselves to read. I taught them the alphabet and to sound out words, but there was no real method and the school refused to teach them until 1st grade....both of my kids could read before 1st grade, just because they wanted to learn how. I wouldn't stress too much about which school a kid goes to, but more about the values you are teaching them and modeling for them, and the time you are spending doing things that are fun, but they can also learn from....they can learn just from a trip to the grocery store or the playground. It doesn't have to be a highly-structured environment. Just my 2 cents.

I don’t know when it became a “thing” in America.. I hadn’t even heard of it until after I was pregnant.. but now there’s a push/necessity to choose certain preschools so your child can get accepted in to certain kindergartens. Don’t ask me why, when, or how, this started. That’s what we’re told though.

I could be wrong, but I think this may have pushed the ‘more people homeschooling’ trend.. at least in the elementary grades When it comes to high school, I think the homeschooled kids will be the strong competition for admission and merit scholarships .. I do kind of hope I’m wrong.

Last edited:

MySmallWorldof4

He fought through cancer in his mouth and throat area last year. His dentist first noticed it and he wasn't a smoker or tobacco user. Around Thanksgiving this year things were going well, and then less than a month ago he started feeling out of sorts and went back in. He was set to do intensive treatments starting this week, I believe. He was about 38 years old and had a lovely 3 year daughter. It is just so sad.

Hubs is dealing ok with it, but he didn't sleep much and I didn't sleep much worrying about him. We will probably have to miss the funeral, which Brad is pretty upset about. The funeral hasn't been announced yet but we are assuming it will be Saturday and we will be on our way to WDW that day. I really hope for hubs sake the funeral is on Friday. I won't be able to with him because it was announced a week ago that we don't have any subs for that day but at least he could go.
So truly sad. Only 38 and he never smoked? Alcohol does play a role in oral cancer as well. His poor little girl. I couldn't imagine the sadness of this family. Prayers for them and for you and Brad. :(

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
This part I agree with, once T started early learning at age 1.. I specifically chose a school that integrated sign language, because we signed at home. It was cute, we had to purchase “school bags” from the school, and the kids came home with rings of words they were learning, as well as the signs. I can’t rave enough about his teachers there.

But once we switched to preschool/PreK, ages 3-5.. it was nuts. Homework at age 3 was crazy to me..BUT, I was on the bandwagon that we had to do this to get into kindergarten! And my kid was going to have an advantage in life!
Fast forward til now, I don’t think it matters that he could read at age 3..or that he had science and geography at that age. They all learn the same subjects now, kids got into his same kindergarten who went to different preschools.
Like I said, at the time I thought it was great. He does well in school, but I can’t say it’s because of the PreSchool/PreK days..example- Kindergarten in geography-when they did the continents, great, he knew them already, but he’s just repeating the exact thing that he already did 2 years before.. so I’ve asked myself in hindsight, was it necessary? Looking back, and looking forward to his future, I would have been better off choosing a different path, and put half the money in his high school fund where I think it will make more of a difference.

I’m friends with a married couple who’s daughter is 6 months old, they’re arguing over preschool enrollment right now, ongoing argument for the past 3 months.. husband thinks the amount of the school she wants is crazy, wife thinks it’s necessary to be in that specific school. I’ve gave them my thoughts on it- Find a happy median. There are plenty of schools that have teachers with early education degrees, I definitely wouldn’t choose any less...but not all are strict curriculum/homework/shocking tuitions. Parents shouldn’t need to make that decision and get on wait lists for their child during infancy, and I’ve yet to see any proof of kids having a major advantage.. even though they “sell” us on the promise that they will. (I should add that he was happy at his preschool, so was I..this is all in retrospect)

That’s just my personal thoughts/regrets when looking back now that he’s been in elementary school for a couple of years. Hindsight is always 20/20 I guess.;)

Recent studies have actually shown that it's a complete wash by 5th grade between children who were given solid curriculum and learned to read early and those who went only to Kindergarten. There's another study about another country putting their kids in Kindergarten at 7 years old... I want to say it was the Dutch but I'm not entirely certain, and their kids actually end up with an advantage after they "catch up" because they learned the material at a more mature age and were able to digest more of it.

And there's other studies about the benefits of play based learning instead of book learning until around age 7 as well, and how children younger than that need movement and experience to really gain from the lesson.

I chose A's school based on those studies, so I'm exactly like those parents you mentioned, but just with a different approach. My kid learns so many things in her play based environment, and will be in the play based learning environment until she's 5.5. I absolutely plan on doing as you did and putting her in her longer term school once she's in Kindergarten though, because children form some very lasting bonds during that first school year together.

Goofyernmost

I don’t know when it became a “thing” in America.. I hadn’t even heard of it until after I was pregnant.. but now there’s a push/necessity to choose certain preschools so your child can get accepted in to certain kindergartens. Don’t ask me why, when, or how, this started. That’s what we’re told though.
Kindergarten wasn't even a thing when I started school. You started first grade with no knowledge, no numbers, no alphabet... nothing! (or at least I did) I find it amazing that I didn't end up living in a card board box under an interstate bridge. I think it is a shaky but real status thing that sometimes does give a kid a head start or at least used to do that. Now with everyone starting school 30 minutes after birth and all those preschool schools basically teach is nap and the wheels on the bus song, I don't think much else is accomplished other then having a babysitter.

DryerLintFan

Premium Member

Yes, this. For many, it's not necessarily smarts that is the goal. It's advantage in life. If you go to this preschool you have a better shot at this elementary school, and if you go to this elementary school you have a better shot at this elite middle school, and so on and so forth until you reach Ivy League schooling.

In America, it's often more who you know and not what you know that gets you ahead in life. So the goal becomes more to be well connected or have things in common with those who are well connected (elite kindergartens) instead of be well read or well versed in mathematics.

It's certainly not for the majority of the country, but you will find this to be the case in most major cutting edge cities like LA or NYC

MySmallWorldof4

I am pretty simple. I am happy with my Vera Bradley Minnie backpack style bag. :)

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
Kindergarten wasn't even a thing when I started school. You started first grade with no knowledge, no numbers, no alphabet... nothing! (or at least I did) I find it amazing that I didn't end up living in a card board box under an interstate bridge. I think it is a shaky but real status thing that sometimes does give a kid a head start or at least used to do that. Now with everyone starting school 30 minutes after birth and all those preschool schools basically teach is nap and the wheels on the bus song, I don't think much else is accomplished other then having a babysitter.

Well.... as someone with a kid this age and with friends who have kids this age, I'll disagree on a couple of points:

1) Kindergarten has changed. Kids are given assessments their first week in, and some kindergartens actually have application exams. During these assessments, kids are expected to be able to recognize all letters, count to 40 only skipping one or two numbers, make the sounds of all the letters, and more.

2) Preschool is important for children who don't go to daycare/school from birth, especially for social skills.

3) They stop teaching the wheels on the bus when the kids are 1.5 years old :joyfull::joyfull:

21stamps

Yes, this. For many, it's not necessarily smarts that is the goal. It's advantage in life. If you go to this preschool you have a better shot at this elementary school, and if you go to this elementary school you have a better shot at this elite middle school, and so on and so forth until you reach Ivy League schooling.

In America, it's often more who you know and not what you know that gets you ahead in life. So the goal becomes more to be well connected or have things in common with those who are well connected (elite kindergartens) instead of be well read or well versed in mathematics.

It's certainly not for the majority of the country, but you will find this to be the case in most major cutting edge cities like LA or NYC

This is one of my factors for our move to Cincinnati. Even the most expensive schools here are still $10k less than they were where we used to live.
Recent studies have actually shown that it's a complete wash by 5th grade between children who were given solid curriculum and learned to read early and those who went only to Kindergarten. There's another study about another country putting their kids in Kindergarten at 7 years old... I want to say it was the Dutch but I'm not entirely certain, and their kids actually end up with an advantage after they "catch up" because they learned the material at a more mature age and were able to digest more of it.

And there's other studies about the benefits of play based learning instead of book learning until around age 7 as well, and how children younger than that need movement and experience to really gain from the lesson.

I chose A's school based on those studies, so I'm exactly like those parents you mentioned, but just with a different approach. My kid learns so many things in her play based environment, and will be in the play based learning environment until she's 5.5. I absolutely plan on doing as you did and putting her in her longer term school once she's in Kindergarten though, because children form some very lasting bonds during that first school year together.
The only area I would disagree with that study would be on language.
I definitely agree with the play based learning too, ours had a strong play element to the curriculum even though it was very structured.
There’s so many decisions to make and an endless amount of choices now. When I was a kid it was pretty much Montessori Preschool or daycare. I went to preschool 3 days per week, half day. I’m not sure when that changed to what preschool has become these days.

All I want in life is for someone to give me a copy of the Parenting Handbook. ;)

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
This is one of my factors for our move to Cincinnati. Even the most expensive schools here are still $10k less than they were where we used to live.

The only area I would disagree with that study would be on language.
I definitely agree with the play based learning too, ours had a strong play element to the curriculum even though it was very structured.
There’s so many decisions to make and an endless amount of choices now. When I was a kid it was pretty much Montessori Preschool or daycare. I went to preschool 3 days per week, half day. I’m not sure when that changed to what preschool has become these days.

All I want in life is for someone to give me a copy of the Parenting Handbook. ;)

Parenting Handbook Cliffnotes: Don't kill em. Feel guilty about everything. Drink a lot of wine. Keep them alive.

Figgy1

Premium Member
Oh, I'm so glad there's no Chuck E Cheese here! We did parties at home the first couple of years, but once DS got out of kindergarten, we couldn't find enough kids who would come to his birthday party. He didn't have 6 friends. Rather than disappoint him by telling kids didn't want to come, we encouraged him to have it at an indoor trampoline place, where we told him he could invite 3 kids...one was excited, one was resigned, the other bailed, so we asked someone from his soccer team who was enthusiastic. It worked out great. The next year, the kid who had been resigned the year before told DS they weren't friends. Now that he's at a new school, he had 6 friends and we were so excited that he FINALLY had friends to invite that we let him invite them all to the trampoline place. We may have to think of something different this year. DD always had hers here at home and we did crafts....making jewelry, one year we made our own lipgloss, we decorate cupcakes, and play old fashioned party games...I drew a giant Cinderella one year and we played pin the glass slipper on Cinderella's foot. Now DD is a bit more mature and doesn't like how loud and busy the parties get, so last year she invited 2 friends over to watch Netflix instead of having a party. I'm kind of glad to be past the party stage! But I'd consider doing an escape room or something...just no more at my house!!!
We have been to and done the Cheese, it wasn't bad. They organized the children and they had fun. The food was awful but the kids had fun.

21stamps

We had 2 interviews and oral and written tests before kiddo got “accepted” to Kindergarten. He’s shy around strangers, so I was extremely nervous when they took him by himself for the testing. We didn’t even find out if he got in for about 3 days, I was sweating bullets.lol.

It is extremely different now.. you have to know a minimum of certain sight words and counting before kindergarten starts.
In second grade we’re doing Powerpoint presentations, and graphs.. him, not me. It’s not parent projects.
Can you imagine doing that 20-30 years ago?
I can’t. School has changed drastically.
I used a poster board and glued on photos or magazine cut outs to give a presentation back when I was in elementary school.:cautious:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom