The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

Songbird76

Here's how to solve your problem for once and for all. There used to be a grass yard behind the house, but the landlord here hated yard work, so he hired a company to pour cement over it. Now it's a cement back yard and he threw out his lawnmower! :hilarious: :hilarious:
Someone at my work was saying that their neighbors went on vacation and while they were gone, the city came in to demolish a building in back of their house....like, it was a business and they were on streets back to back. So when the city came in to demolish the building, they also demolished everything in back of that building, including her neighbors' shed and yard...ripped up all the plants, and turned it into just a dirt lot. They came home to a demolished yard, their shed and everything in it gone. Then, because they had ripped up the yard, rain water didn't drain and they had a mud lot in their back yard, so they complained to the city....they sent a cement truck to cover the back yard so rain water can't collect there anymore.:banghead:

donaldtoo

Ha!! I do remember you telling us about that....particularly the gyroplane flight, but I remember the drenching incident as well. Like I said to the kids at the restaurant, I could complain and ask to talk to the manager, but it wouldn't change what happened, and a lot of times, someone who has already made a mistake or two will get so self-conscious about it that it would just make them make MORE mistakes. Everyone has to start at the beginning and some people take longer to learn than others. We weren't in a hurry to be somewhere else, we don't have food allergies where it was a safety issue...we could afford to wait to get things fixed and everything eventually turned out ok. No biggie, and it's good entertainment.

Ahhhhh...yes, the gyroplane flight... :inlove: :inlove: :inlove: :inlove: :inlove: :inlove: :inlove:
Sorry, got distracted for a bit... :oops:

Anyway, no biggie, indeed.
We've been to so many places over the years where idiots throw a public fit over unbelievably stooooopid things. WTH is the point of that...?!?!?! :confused:
Politely express your concerns in a muted way and get the problem solved.
But, too many patrons seem to want to cause a scene. It's like they're desperate wannabe performance artists in their own messed-up heads.
Get a grip folks...

Songbird76

I am sorry. That stinks. :(

I love that school!! Crossing fingers and toes.:):)
Thanks, I know!!! It's like the dream school for DS. It's everything he needs that we didn't even know about. We sat in that meeting and it was ah-ha! moment after ah-ha! moment...there were so many things he explained that DH and I just looked at each other and went "Oh! Never thought of it that way!" They've really thought of everything a kid with Autism or ADHD, etc needs. The seating, the lights, the decor, the schedule...they even put carpets in the classrooms so that when the ADHD kids fidget, it doesn't make so much noise with the chairs scraping along the floors. Books in the library...kids with Autism have a hard time putting themselves in someone else's shoes, so story books are often hard for them to get into...they can't relate. But a lot of them LOVE facts...concrete things that don't change and they don't have to have empathy to understand. So they made sure there are plenty of fact books in the library...like books about dinosaurs, or books about cars, or books about countries. It never occurred to me that a kid wouldn't relate to the characters in a story because of that lack of ability to empathize. Now it seems so obvious and stupid of me not to have realized that. There must have been 20 things that, without even realizing it, he explained my child to me and why he does certain things or has a difficult time with certain things. And that was in like...an hour. I told him, I have a lot to learn, so I'm glad they have someone to advise parents. I think I'll learn just as much as DS does!

Songbird76

Sorry for being so far behind again...
Yep, definitely different wiring. Very different from both of our "normal" DDs. Even so, all three still have so much in common as far as a sense of humor, compassion, silliness, etc.
Other times, not so much. Again, very difficult to dial it all in.

Prayers that he will be, or, hopefully, has already been accepted.
Thanks...it could take as long as 6 weeks, once they get our application, for them to look everything over and decide whether or not they think he qualifies. The principal said that because of our situation, he would push for urgency and he really didn't think, given all the info, that they would deny him. He said their average class size is 13, they'll go as high as 15, but only in extreme cases, like us. But DS would be #14 in his class, so that's acceptable...once he's admitted via the committee, he can start right away, no waiting list.

DD and DS are night and day, but I love that...I love how different they are and seeing how their personalities are so much their own, and yet they are both trying so hard to emulate us. And it makes me want to be a better role model for them. But sometimes it is really hard to understand DS...I'm hoping it will get easier as we learn more about how his brain works.

donaldtoo

Well, the school hasn't actually given us any work for him yet.:cautious: But, he IS less stressed, though he is still having nightmares and such. I think now it's more nerves about what the new school will be like than anything. Natural, I think. But it's going to be an interesting couple of weeks. We have fall break starting October 16th. Ideally, we would come home from DLP and he'd be able to start right away at the new school, but I don't know if that is realistic.

So glad to hear he is less stressed! :)
Prayers for the new school...!!! :)

Songbird76

Ahhhhh...yes, the gyroplane flight... :inlove: :inlove: :inlove: :inlove: :inlove: :inlove: :inlove:
Sorry, got distracted for a bit... :oops:

Anyway, no biggie, indeed.
We've been to so many places over the years where idiots throw a public fit over unbelievably stooooopid things. WTH is the point of that...?!?!?! :confused:
Politely express your concerns in a muted way and get the problem solved.
But, too many patrons seem to want to cause a scene. It's like they're desperate wannabe performance artists in their own messed-up heads.
Get a grip folks...
I used to work in the residence halls at the university while I was going to school there. I got yelled at for completely ridiculous things...like that the rooms didn't have air conditioning, which the woman INSISTED they did. Like...gee...I'm sorry that I didn't insist they install airco in this building when it was built BEFORE I WAS BORN. Or...in the summer, when there were no students, they used the halls for conferences, almost like hotel rooms, but obviously not as nice. Some conferences paid for the rooms to be equipped with towels, bedding, etc, and some required people to bring their own. People would get really mad that their conference didn't pay for linens and demand we give them towels or whatever...sorry...we don't have those at the desks, you have to take that up with the organizer of your conference. I learned to choose my battles and to always try to be polite, because it's not your server's fault that whoever did the ordering for the restaurant forgot to put salad dressing on the list. It's not the hotel check-in staff's fault that the hot tub was scheduled for maintenance during your stay. We often vent at the person who is in front of us when they didn't do anything and they can't fix it. You make them want to do more to help you when you are calm and reasonable and understanding...they'll go the extra mile for someone who is kind to them.

Figgy1

Premium Member
Thanks, I know!!! It's like the dream school for DS. It's everything he needs that we didn't even know about. We sat in that meeting and it was ah-ha! moment after ah-ha! moment...there were so many things he explained that DH and I just looked at each other and went "Oh! Never thought of it that way!" They've really thought of everything a kid with Autism or ADHD, etc needs. The seating, the lights, the decor, the schedule...they even put carpets in the classrooms so that when the ADHD kids fidget, it doesn't make so much noise with the chairs scraping along the floors. Books in the library...kids with Autism have a hard time putting themselves in someone else's shoes, so story books are often hard for them to get into...they can't relate. But a lot of them LOVE facts...concrete things that don't change and they don't have to have empathy to understand. So they made sure there are plenty of fact books in the library...like books about dinosaurs, or books about cars, or books about countries. It never occurred to me that a kid wouldn't relate to the characters in a story because of that lack of ability to empathize. Now it seems so obvious and stupid of me not to have realized that. There must have been 20 things that, without even realizing it, he explained my child to me and why he does certain things or has a difficult time with certain things. And that was in like...an hour. I told him, I have a lot to learn, so I'm glad they have someone to advise parents. I think I'll learn just as much as DS does!
Sending more prayers and pixie dust xoxo

BAChicagoGal

Is that something you aren't allowed to drive yourself after? Or can she not drive? Yikes...I hate having things like that up in the air.

Yes. That's it exactly. However, she called me yesterday, and she said that she called the Pain Clinic back, and told them she did not have anyone to go with her. They told her that she could keep her appointment, but she would have to stay longer after the procedure and must go home in a taxi after. I understand how doctors/hospitals are super careful after certain procedures. She is having a cortisone shot, and general anesthetic.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom