The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

seahawk7

Are you sure @Goofyernmost has a soul? :cyclops:;):joyfull: It sounds like that ex tried to take it.
snap.jpg

MinnieM123

Premium Member
So could all of us that have ever worked retail for any appreciable amount of time, not to mention stupid coworkers. And I worked several retail jobs over a 4+ year period.
But, I mostly learned to just roll with it, otherwise it'll make ya' bonkers.
Also, I worked at The Disney Store (that was the one retail job I kept the whole time) for over four years, 1+ as a Lead Mgr.

That place could get as crazy as crazy comes, but, all it took was making one special needs child's day, or so many other children's or adults days, for that matter, to dial me back down. Ultimately, That's what we were there for, in my eyes, anyway.
I ALWAYS checked my attitude at the door before I went "on stage", 'cause I knew, once I went on shift, it wasn't about me anymore, nor should it have been. I was hired to do a "Magical" job, and I did it darn well with a smile on my face all the time, if not a tear in my eye, more than a few times.

I also stood my ground with a smile on my face, when I knew it was the right thing to do.
I once had a Guest get quite miffed with me when I asked her for her ID during a credit purchase.
I politely explained the policy as she reluctantly provided me with ID, as she griped quite loudly through the rest of the transaction. I still, of course, wished her a (non-sarcastic) "Have a Magical Day!"
As the other Guests in queue that witnessed approached, they all were very encouraging to me.
About ten minutes later, I noticed the miffed guest back in queue again.
All I could think was... "Oh carp, what now?!"
She waited patiently, and I again greeted her very politely. She then, quite to my astonishment, profusely apologized for her previous behavior. I told her that it was not a problem, we all have our bad days.
I also told her that it spoke very well of her character that she came back to do that, which, of course, then made her feel good. Win-win. She also came back many more times after while I worked at TDS. We had formed a bond. :happy:

Also, all my coworkers were about...
"Did that REALLY just happen?!?! That's NEVER happened to me...!!! :jawdrop:"
:)

You had a balanced attitude, and understood the dynamics of dealing with the public. There will always be situations that test your resolve, but usually if you're upbeat and positive, your day turns out much better. I think the key point you made is to not "write off" a person, because they don't necessarily respond in a way that you prefer. People are complex beings; and most of the time, we can find some sort of common ground with our fellow man/woman to all get along.

Your comments above should be xeroxed, and handed out to every sales associate, as part of their new employee customer service training.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom