The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Same with Morrisons in Florida, they were sprinkled all over the place.

Piccadilly bought them out and little by little it went downhill from there. Pretty much all were closed until Piccadilly filed for bankruptcy. Miss those places, good memories.

9df05b4d76648218f1fd458db9f7418d.jpg

54cc76257fa1772c54b90646c17cb1de.jpg

067ddd23050d07781f75ebe560ee26ac.jpg

all those teeny tiny bowls
17309757_635751233275332_1934328919794278265_n.jpg

14222274_883194978452501_5484551685903289933_n.jpg

14502830_1112567318778928_5035397369147384947_n.jpg

You're killing me with all this photo nostalgia--I MISS those places!! :jawdrop:

For some reason, it was the picture of the pie slices on the individual plates, on the glass shelf that threw me into a deja vu spin . . . And then there were those familiar pix of the hot water steam, under food service pans. Yup, memories . . . comfort food . . . :inlove:

MinnieM123

Premium Member

Goofyernmost

I don't know, I'm not all that much younger than you are, decades and decades of driving urban and rural. Our bridges and curve streets are always pretreated minimum when storms are due to hit. When they don't (usually involves overtime) the amount of crashes dramatically go up. This storm was nasty and early morning there wasn't enough time to get the salt trucks out in time (they didn't pretreat Lake Shore Drive and also on the Expressway near my Mom's.
When rush hour hits at the same time as snow starts and the roads didn't get pretreated you get these 30 and 45 car pile ups. The tollways that were pretreated you didn't get those pile ups.

Me I purposely followed two salt trucks on 57 home from my DD Graduation during the beginnings of a bad storm. I'd rather drive on a road that has some salt on it vs none. In our more rural area they pretreat with liquid stripes where there are curves and bridges. You can appreciate the areas that were pretreated vs not when you're the one driving in it.

But we all believe or not what we choose.
That's probably where we were spoiled in Vermont. Even if they were looking at a storm system heading our way, the trucks were out. They might just be sitting in a state, vehicle only, cross over or a rest area. When the storm started they were already there, there was no getting them out. And again it depends on how long it has been sitting on the highway previous to the storm. Rain with no freeze will just wash it away, wind will blow it off the roads along with the air flow from passing vehicles. That is why "timing" is so important. But, on the occasions that it might work, that is great. It has been my experience that it doesn't work a lot more often then it does. Following salt (or even sand) trucks is a lot different then laying down a shot of brine two days before the event.

MOXOMUMD

Remember those old attached to the counter top meat and food grinders. That is what my Mother used to make Cole Slaw.
View attachment 193787
Hers was Mayo based, but it was very, very finely chopped. Her Cole Slaw was something that for some reason she always apologized for. I never was sure why, but, apparently she was never happy with how it turned out. It always seemed the same to me and I know that there was never any left over after the meal. It wasn't runny or thick, it always seemed just right to us.
That's the way I prefer it too but I'll eat cole slaw either way. :)

donaldtoo

That was a fun story that @donaldtoo shared. I too like maps. I have been known to look through our road Atlas from time to time, just looking at the maps. I'm not very good with puzzles but I am very good with maps and orientation. I once though of taking old maps and using them as wall paper or framing them in our spare bedroom. Ultimately I did not, as it seemed like too much work. But I guess you and I are both map geeks!:geek:

Map geeks...UNITE...!!!!! :geek: :joyfull: ;)

image.jpeg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom