The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

BAChicagoGal

I have finally caught the cold that everyone around me has already had. It's in the sneezing stage. Kleenex is my friend. At least I don't have a mild fever, which I usually manage to have when I catch this bug. It will be a good day for crocheting. However, I think my husband intends to clean out the three bird cages today. Maybe I'll get dressed, and maybe I won't.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
My chemical BFF is ADVIL, cousin to Aleve. Don't blame you for not giving up Golf even if it is a 'Good Walk Spoiled.' And a walk with a Pup is never boring, the adventures they bring. If you get a really really cute Pup you'll have all sorts of people engaging you along the way.

Unless you are me walking with my pup, we go where we can generally avoid people. Although we have seen our fair share of other animals...squirrels, deer, turtles, cows, and horse.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Yep, deer hunting is a thing, and actually a pretty big thing here in Texas. :cautious:
And the way my grandmothers and mother have always prepared it is absolutely delicious...!!!!! :hungry:

Deer hunting is very big here in Northern Wisconsin. I have never been but my dad and sister used to go hunting. I'm not a big fan of venison, perhaps it is how I've had it prepared. But I never liked the idea of eating a deer (Bambi), but I have no problem with people hunting it and eating it. That means there are less deer to run in front of my car while I'm driving!

And since I teach middle school a lot of my students, both boys and girls, love to go hunting. Since it is such a part of the culture around here it doesn't phase us to hear the kids talking about their guns or getting guns for their birthday or whatever. Sometimes I wonder what would happen if a teacher or a student from a place where hunting doesn't happen much came into our school, they would probably be a little concerned about their safety.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Whelp, last day for Disneyland tomorrow. I'm kind of ready to move on honestly. I've done basically everything I wanted to do here, so tomorrow will be "last rides".

Monday we drive down to San Diego. Wednesday I go to WDW. Where I will not have to do laundry right away because I'll be wearing shorts and new shirts.

It's so sad to say goodbye to Disneyland, but at least you have more vacation adventures coming up! I really hope you will be doing a trip report, I will be interested to your take and your friend's impressions on Disneyland. And perhaps a little commentary about where you ate. And pictures too! I think I will be buying my flight to SNA today for April today. I decided a few months ago to make DL my solo trip this year, I gotta use this premier pass after all.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
O.k. So we ended up with about 9 inches of snow last night. It's so pretty outside--winter wonderland!! (If I ever make it to heaven . . . :cautious: , I'm sure that heaven will be pretty like this, every day!! :happy: )

Oh, by the way, my church is closed today because of the storm (it was snowing up to midnight, and the weather people weren't sure when it would actually stop). That's a smart move on behalf of the church, because we have some disabled people who attend every week; and if church wasn't cancelled, they might feel like they have to go. The travel could be dangerous for them. (Years ago, the churches never closed, but they have re-thought the safety factor in recent years.)

I'm so glad that you are happy with your snow. That is a smart move for your church to close, like you said some people feel the need to go if there is a service. (Not me I'm skipping out this morning. Shhhh don't tell.:cautious:):angelic: A few churches around here have cancelled because of bad weather including a few weeks ago when it was -20 with -34 windchill. Hubby didn't cancel though, his philosophy is if he can make it into the building there will be church.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
I have finally caught the cold that everyone around me has already had. It's in the sneezing stage. Kleenex is my friend. At least I don't have a mild fever, which I usually manage to have when I catch this bug. It will be a good day for crocheting. However, I think my husband intends to clean out the three bird cages today. Maybe I'll get dressed, and maybe I won't.

Feel better! I vote for staying in pj's.

Goofyernmost

Deer hunting is very big here in Northern Wisconsin. I have never been but my dad and sister used to go hunting. I'm not a big fan of venison, perhaps it is how I've had it prepared. But I never liked the idea of eating a deer (Bambi), but I have no problem with people hunting it and eating it. That means there are less deer to run in front of my car while I'm driving!

And since I teach middle school a lot of my students, both boys and girls, love to go hunting. Since it is such a part of the culture around here it doesn't phase us to hear the kids talking about their guns or getting guns for their birthday or whatever. Sometimes I wonder what would happen if a teacher or a student from a place where hunting doesn't happen much came into our school, they would probably be a little concerned about their safety.
I always wondered, if deer meat was so good, why every recipe included tons of garlic and onions. Seem like an effort to disguise the taste to me. It always seem to me to just be gamey tasting beef. No real appeal for me.

Figgy1

Premium Member
I vote for a jammy day and get well soon xoxo

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR

I went to a camp every summer in Wisconsin. We were taught to shoot a rifle. By the end of my camping days I was the top gal shooter. Only shot targets and clay. I could never shoot a critter.

Gabe1

Whelp, last day for Disneyland tomorrow. I'm kind of ready to move on honestly. I've done basically everything I wanted to do here, so tomorrow will be "last rides".

Monday we drive down to San Diego. Wednesday I go to WDW. Where I will not have to do laundry right away because I'll be wearing shorts and new shirts.

Florida should warm up down there by Wednesday. Enjoy

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
I always wondered, if deer meat was so good, why every recipe included tons of garlic and onions. Seem like an effort to disguise the taste to me. It always seem to me to just be gamey tasting beef. No real appeal for me.

All the deer meat I've ever had was cooked with onions and garlic now that you mention it. Too me it tasted a little like beef but like something was a little off. When my mom cooked it it was always tough but that could have been how she cooked it. She would also can it with beef broth and onions and use that in stews. It was better canned, probably because it was more tender. I just don't know if my mom really knew how to best cook or maybe my dad didn't butcher it properly. But I don't think you are missing out.

A guy I work with is a big hunter and makes his own sausages from his hunts. It always looks and smells good. He has even made bear roasts that he brought in that looked good. He does not use a ton of onions or garlic, so maybe he actually knows how to cook the meat properly. The DNR even gave him a special permit to hunt cougar or maybe bobcat for population control. The catch was he had to turn the whole animal into the DNR if he got one. When he did get one he refused to turn it over to them until they agreed to let him take just a little of the meat. He told them that he refuses to hunt an animal he can't eat, So to make the kill justified he had to eat some of it. I think he said it tasted a little like pork.

Gabe1

Yea! The storm missed us but it's still too cold and I have to go grocery shopping. Time to look for summer fabric while I'm out:joyfull: I know it's wishful thinking but maybe I'll get lucky and we can wear some of my projects before too long:joyfull::joyfull::joyfull:
I went to Target Friday. Freakin cold out and right by front entrance is a huge new display of woman's swimsuits. Oy I wish it was swimsuit weather

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
I went to a camp every summer in Wisconsin. We were taught to shoot a rifle. By the end of my camping days I was the top gal shooter. Only shot targets and clay. I could never shoot a critter.

I could never shoot a living thing either. My life or the life of someone nearby would have to be in danger. I have no problem though with people hunting for food, but trophy hunting is a different story. The food pantries in our area even accept deer for processing to their clients.

Last edited:

Goofyernmost

All the deer meat I've ever had was cooked with onions and garlic now that you mention it. Too me it tasted a little like beef but like something was a little off. When my mom cooked it it was always tough but that could have been how she cooked it. She would also can it with beef broth and onions and use that in stews. It was better canned, probably because it was more tender. I just don't know if my mom really knew how to best cook or maybe my dad didn't butcher it properly. But I don't think you are missing out.

A guy I work with is a big hunter and makes his own sausages from his hunts. It always looks and smells good. He has even made bear roasts that he brought in that looked good. He does not use a ton of onions or garlic, so maybe he actually knows how to cook the meat properly. The DNR even gave him a special permit to hunt cougar or maybe bobcat for population control. The catch was he had to turn the whole animal into the DNR if he got one. When he did get one he refused to turn it over to them until they agreed to let him take just a little of the meat. He told them that he refuses to hunt an animal he can't eat, So to make the kill justified he had to eat some of it. I think he said it tasted a little like pork.
That probably can be said for just about everything. I think Alligator tastes like pork*. And even Disney Turkey Legs taste and look like ham. Pork rules.
Alligator Jambalaya on the Natchez.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom