The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

Lilofan

Is this new? Or have I been oblivious to it in the past. I wonder if it comes with a major cash prize? Just kidding! To all that served in that tropical wonderland let's be proud that we actually did something for our country instead of trying to destroy it.
Our country is divided like never before. Much respect to all including some in my family/ friends who served . My late friend and former peer John who was drafted 67-68' USMC is someone I think of. One team building session at work when the instructor asked each of us our biggest accomplishment - John advised he survived and came back alive from Vietnam.

Last edited:

StarWarsGirl

Saw that. Also saw all the moronic fans on social media attacking the Angelos family for a multitude of reasons. We can all agree that they were the worst owners in baseball outside of the A's, but apparently when they bought the Orioles in the early 90s, they saved them from being moved like the Colts.
That's about the only good thing I can say about them; they did manage to keep the team here and sold it to someone who plans on keeping them here.

StarWarsGirl

Who bought the team?
It's a group of owners; the controlling owner is David Rubenstein. He's the owner of a private equity firm and from here. Other owners include Cal Ripken Jr, former Orioles shortstop. Peter Angelos was the owner; he had been sick and basically out of it for a long time and finally passed away, and his son sold the team but still has a non-controlling interest at this point.

Grimley1968

I went to several O's games when I lived in DC in the 90's. Every time but once I took the subway to Union Station in DC, took an Amtrak train from Union Station to the station close to the O's stadium (Camden Yards maybe?), and had a blast. Because I wasn't driving I could drink a little. Good times. I'm more of a National League guy, so I was able to focus more on watching good baseball, rather than wanting one team to win at all costs. The one time I drove there, I took a wrong turn and ended up in a massive traffic jam somewhere. :joyfull:

As much as I love the Reds (and Great American Ball Park is a great place to watch a game) GABP does not have a train station across its parking lot from the stadium. DC has a subway stop a block away from its stadium. I'd guess most of the other MLB parks in the northeast are within a reasonable walk from subway stops. But I don't know of any other MLB parks so conveniently located to trains coming from out of town.

Grimley1968

It's a group of owners; the controlling owner is David Rubenstein. He's the owner of a private equity firm and from here. Other owners include Cal Ripken Jr, former Orioles shortstop. Peter Angelos was the owner; he had been sick and basically out of it for a long time and finally passed away, and his son sold the team but still has a non-controlling interest at this point.

The Iron Man will definitely do everything he can to keep the O's in Baltimore.

StarWarsGirl

I went to several O's games when I lived in DC in the 90's. Every time but once I took the subway to Union Station in DC, took an Amtrak train from Union Station to the station close to the O's stadium (Camden Yards maybe?), and had a blast. Because I wasn't driving I could drink a little. Good times. I'm more of a National League guy, so I was able to focus more on watching good baseball, rather than wanting one team to win at all costs. The one time I drove there, I took a wrong turn and ended up in a massive traffic jam somewhere. :joyfull:

As much as I love the Reds (and Great American Ball Park is a great place to watch a game) GABP does not have a train station across its parking lot from the stadium. DC has a subway stop a block away from its stadium. I'd guess most of the other MLB parks in the northeast are within a reasonable walk from subway stops. But I don't know of any other MLB parks so conveniently located to trains coming from out of town.
Camden Station, yes. The ballpark is called Camden Yards. Fun fact: Oriole Park at Camden Yards is located on the former B&O railroad station; that's what that warehouse is. And also why the MARC train still comes through.

Yeah I don't generally recommend driving in Baltimore unless you're sure where you're going. I don't drive in DC, lol. I take the train from BWI to Union Station.

Grimley1968

I hope that the existence of a MLB team in DC is never a consideration in whether the O's stay in Baltimore. There's more than enough population to support both teams. It would be horrible to see a franchise with that much history tied to one city leave that city.

If there's a team that should look to move, IMO it should first be the Nationals. That franchise was the Expos before, a franchise that always struggled since its beginning in 1969. From my experience living in DC, a notoriously transitory population with a high percentage of its residents not from the area, many people go see pro sports teams in DC to see their favorite teams from wherever they're from. With MLB interleague play, that can still be done going to see the Orioles via Amtrak. IMO, the Nationals franchise would have better long term prospects if they moved to Charlotte, Nashville, or whichever high population/long time MLB-wannabe upper south location MLB is interested in. DC has not had much luck keeping pro teams in DC, in any sport.

I have never feared the Reds leaving Cincinnati because of their long history there, the great fan base spread over 5 states, and GABP replacing the horrid Riverfront Stadium (one of the cookie cutters from the 60's and 70's). I do still fear the Bungles leaving Cincinnati because they have never won a Superbowl in their 55 years of existence, and because their ownership, the Brown family, is terrible. The Bungles fan base, of which I have to admit to being a member, is not the same quality as the Reds fan base. They also have a very nice stadium, though they don't deserve it. They've been better of late since Mike Brown let his daughter and her family take the reins more in personnel decisions, but I'm afraid they could backslide again if they don't put a better O line in front of Burrow and let them finally win a Superbowl sometime in his career. Fortunately for Bungles fans, LA has regained their 2 teams (I really thought a Bungles move to LA was imminent about 5-7 years ago), and Nashville and Charlotte, otherwise prime candidates for a franchise relatively nearby, each already have teams. St. Louis, though, is teamless. The Brown family, though not as bad as Irsay or Art Modell, have been among the NFL's most inept ownership family since the Bungles formed. Paul Brown may have coached the Bungles when they first formed, but his family seem to not understand football like he did, and he died when the Bungles were still a new franchise, so he never put his stamp on the team like he did with the Cleveland Browns. I hope the Bungles stick to Cincy, but if they don't get a ring or two soon to keep their fan base coming to games, that may be a tall order.

Last edited:

Dead2009

Horror Movie Guru
The Nationals being in DC would never be the main reason why the Orioles would leave. Besides, the only issue the Orioles actually had with the Nationals was the MASN rights deal because MASN airs both teams. In the same breath the Ravens were never an issue for the Redskins/Commanders when they got here even though the Commanders play in Maryland.

Grimley1968

I don't fear teams with as much history tied to a location as the Reds, O's, Red Sox, Yankees, Cubs and a handful of other teams leaving those cities. The Reds, like the O's, have a dearth of World Series titles (one of the O's 3 titles came at the Reds' expense in 1970). One of the Reds' meager 5 titles was a result of the Black Sox scandal. The White Sox may have lost fans due to that, but not the Reds. Stadiums will come and go. While it's true that a historic old franchise may be in Vegas soon, that franchise left Philly before it had a chance to become a nostalgic favorite like teams that stick to one city, and as mentioned their ownership has been abysmal for years now.

Whenever I watch the A's play on TV, it's amazing to see how little the ownership seems to care about even the appearance of the stadium and I'm assuming the overall fan experience. When I watch most other teams on TV, the appearance of the stadium, the seats, and everything else acts like a commercial making me want to come to a game in person.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom