The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

Songbird76

My turn, and hopefully this will be sort of nothing. It’s already something for someone, just not me yet.

My day off tomorrow, one guy just texted me and said his girlfriend’s dad had to get tested for work and tested positive. His gf and her mom both don’t feel well and are going to get rapid tests. He is trying to get a rapid test ASAP. He was supposed to work tomorrow.

I know you can get a rapid test without symptoms and show negative even if you are positive. I told him not to come in tomorrow, and suggested he stay away from them regardless of test results. He hasn’t been to their house in two days.

He last worked on Saturday. (I stayed home that day.) I last saw him at shift change on Thursday. He is OCD and very careful about this stuff. He cleans more than anyone else.

Hopefully he dodged a bullet, or the two people who worked after him on Saturday need to get tested, and we’ll be short handed (obviously worse for anyone who may get ill.)

It does feel different this time around. More people being less careful, etc.
Better to be safe than sorry, though I'm sorry you don't get your day off. They are telling us we'll get vaccinated before the Summer or during it, because we're high risk, IF all the producers of the vaccine are done on time and they are considered safe. Do you all know when you'll be able to get it, if you want to be vaccinated?

Songbird76

It is very hard to find a KFC buffet. There is one in Palm Coast FL if it is still there. All you can eat on several items including crispy and original chicken. The franchise purposely leaves the buffet line empty of chicken and the customer has to ask for what they want and gets 2-3 pieces at a time. The bread pudding and green beans are very good.
There's one in Gillette, Wyoming....or there was in 2017 at least. I'm assuming it's still there. E fell in love with it...she loved the bread pudding I think it was...or maybe some cherry crumble thing they had. My husband and son won't eat fried chicken, so they went elsewhere, but we went to the buffet a couple of times. There aren't many KFCs left in Wyoming, and the ones that are there are mostly non-buffets.

Songbird76

Not even that classy. No waiter service. We the customers have to go to buffet area which is no more than 10 items, ask for some chicken and a few minutes later it gets put out on our clean plate. Others paying in the dining place just ordered off the menu and didn't want to deal with the buffet set up, and the buffet is only from 1130-2pm. .
That's either a new set up or not how they did it in the one we went to. We could just go through and get what we wanted. But if they did do that with the chicken, it makes sense from a health/safety perspective. If it's not busy enough, things just sit there under those heat lamps drying out and not staying crispy, and it's kind of a breeding ground for bacteria. Better to make the chicken fresh if you don't have a fast depletion rate. I do remember having to ask for mac n' cheese at the counter, but then they gave you a scoop in a little paper bowl and handed it to you...there was no waiting at all.

Songbird76

^This. Exactly.

Following up: last night, he and his gf’s mom tested negative, but gf tested positive. Both mom & gf felt unwell.

And as of this afternoon, he does, too. Bedridden, bad headache, no energy. Hit him hard and quick. (He’s in his 20’s, should be OK.)

For the rest of us, it’s now about when did he get it. Tomorrow is my 5th day since briefly seeing him, which is a good place to be, I think.
Sounds like he was negative when he tested, but probably positive now. I don't know what they tell you over there, but over here, they make sure to tell you that just because you test negative doesn't mean you aren't in the incubation period. BUT over here, you can't get tested unless you have symptoms. You can't go and get tested because you've had contact with someone who tested positive. If you have had contact with someone who tested positive and you have no symptoms yourself, you have to quarantine for 10 days. If you develop symptoms in those 10 days, then you get tested, but if no symptoms develop, you're free to go back to normal routine. I hope he doesn't get it bad and that it's over quickly.

Edit: I also hope you don't get it!! How much contact did you have with him last time you saw him?

Last edited:

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Medical appts. during covid are odd, in that waiting rooms are closed; you wait in your car for a text to enter.

Now, if you happen to be a dog going to see the vet, the procedure is a bit different (apparently, because dogs don't have phone and can't get a text to come in). :p

Yesterday, hubs took Jack to the vet for his yearly check-up. From the outside door, he rang the intercom, and a tech answered. Hubs was not allowed inside at all.

Instead, the tech put a muzzle in a box that opened out of the front door. Hubs put it on Jack. Then the tech told him to tie the leash to the railing, and go wait in his car, so that the tech could come out and bring the dog inside. (Hubs was not pleased, as he likes to be there with Jack, and also talk directly to the vet.) Not to mention, Jack is prescribed pills to take to calm him, before any vet visit. But we swear he's high as a kite when he takes one of those, and acts even more like a lunatic, by the time he gets there! :hilarious:

When appt. was done, the vet called him on the phone, and explained the details of the visit. (Jack has a few issues, common in older dogs.) Then, the tech asked for the credit card #, and told him to wait in car until he came out and leased up Jack to the railing. (And oh, an envelope was attached to the leash with a statement for exam/bloodwork, vaccine, meds, etc., for $660.13.) :in pain: It's 2020.

Songbird76

Cool...!!! :)
Where does E work now...?
What is the age you can go to work over there, ‘cause I think you’ve mentioned before that kiddos start HS at a younger age than in the states...?
Good for her...!!! :)
She doesn't have a job, but she does help me cook every night and does little things around the house we ask her to do, so she gets an allowance. Beyond that, for birthdays and Christmas and such the kids usually both ask for money instead of gifts so they can buy things like the phones, or A bought a Nintendo Switch a couple years back. Between Oma and Opa, their uncle here, and us, they get quite a bit for each birthday and Christmas. Opa and Oma also give them money every time they get a report card (twice a year). It's not dependent on grades at all, but their grades are always awesome anyway. And E is not a particularly big spender, so she saves easily. We still buy all their clothes and necessities, so her money is exclusively for fun stuff.

I think the working age here is maybe 15, but it's extremely limited by hours and such. And the minimum wage is age-based up until 23 years old, so a 15/16 year old only gets something like 2 euros per hour. In some ways, it seems unfair...they do the same work that an adult does, they should make the same. But then I see the kids where I work doing more goofing off than working and I think maybe there's some merrit to that. But then there's a difference in some kids...not all of them are like that. Some work really hard, some...really don't.

High school technically starts earlier I guess....there's no such thing as junior high/middle school. You go straight from elementary to high school, and the lower levels only have 4 years of high school, where the highest level is 6 years. E is in her 3rd year out of 6, so she's basically the equivalent of a high school freshman in the US. She'll graduate at 18. A is in his 2nd of 5 years, so while he's the equivalent of an 8th grader, he just turned 13 last week, so he's the age of a 7th grader, and he has one less year of school because special education doesn't offer the highest level, so he's also basically a freshman. He'll "graduate" in the same year E does. He'll be 16 when he's done with high school. BUT, the law over here says you can't be done with school until you have either some sort of diploma beyond high school or you turn 18. So he will be required to do some higher education after high school, whether he likes it or not. E won't, because she will be 18, but she'll do it anyway because what kind of job will you get with only a high school diploma? She loves learning too much to be content with that.

Songbird76

Company fulfillment and shipping delays are a real thing this holiday season. There were two gifts (from a reputable vendor that I've done business with before), that indicated when I placed the 2 orders (different addresses) that the boxes may not get out for another 8 days. Then, there's the delivery truck shipping time beyond that. (Items were ordered around Dec. 4th -- I "thought" that was early enough?!)

🤦‍♀️ But I had no choice. These were the gifts I wanted to send, and nothing else I saw (from any vendor) appealed to me.

But, the good thing is that even if they don't arrive on time for Christmas, I have 2020 to blame, and everyone accepts that--so I'm off the hook no matter what! :cool:

Come to think of it, I've been getting a lot of mileage out of my list of 2020 excuses -- dishes stacked in the sink, laundry piling up, paperwork piling up on desk, etc. :p
Yeah, A finally decided which stuffed animal he wanted as part of his present...I ordered it the other day, it's not getting here until sometime in January.

And 2020 has really thrown my house into chaos with mess, because with my husband working from home, I have to be quiet during the day while he's working, and then I work in the evenings, so I really haven't been able to clean clean since...March? I have been doing stuff on weekends, but I'm not spending my whole weekend working, so it's just little things here and there.

Songbird76

Thanks for making me laugh. This woman has rented from us over 30 years. I just wanted her to respect our wishes, and she has chosen not to do that. She is on a fixed income, and should have looked into senior housing many years ago, but I feel she has just taken us for granted too many years. Sorry it has come to fighting with her, but she just doesn't seem to get it. I feel there are some people in this world that the more you give them, the more they take/expect.
What I don't get is that you said she had two cats, and had to put one down....so she still has one, yes? But now she's gotten a doctor's note that says she needs a support animal. She already has one, doesn't she? So don't you have the right as a landlord to say, "ok, I'll obey the law...you may have one animal for emotional support. If you get an emotional support animal, you'll need to find a home for the cat that's NOT a support animal. OR you can keep the cat you have as a support animal, but no additional pets"? I don't think there's any law that says a person has to be allowed as many support animals as they want.

Edit: And stop lending her money for the cats!! If she's short one month, she can choose between feeding her cats or paying complete rent. If she doesn't pay complete rent, then after so many times, she's evicted...that's how it is supposed to work. If she can't afford to pay for the cats, then she needs a cheaper place to live, or she needs to get rid of them....they are not your responsibility. It must be so frustrating for you....you don't want to be mean, but you also don't want to be taken advantage of. Can you kind of force her to move by adding in costs like a maintenance fee for pets? I know a lot of properties have fees for each pet you have, outside of the standard monthly rent. There are probably laws about how much you are allowed to raise the monthly rent, but you could possibly get around that by adding the maintenance fee for the pets. If it's too much for her income, she'd be forced to look for another place that was within that income. Or is there some sort of subsidy for people with support animals to pay for their vet bills and food, etc? If she had a subsidy for that, she wouldn't need to borrow it from you. And since the doctor says it's medically necessary for her to have the pet, it should be covered under insurance or something. You can't require a landlord to provide for a pet that isn't theirs. If she needs a cat, okay, but she has to come up with the means to provide for it. Just like children....if you have children and don't provide adequate shelter, food, etc, they get taken away. I'm sure that's not what you want to do, but it sounds like she's not really being responsible and she's treating you like an indulgent parent rather than her landlord. She's not respecting boundaries.

Last edited:

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Medical appts. during covid are odd, in that waiting rooms are closed; you wait in your car for a text to enter.

Now, if you happen to be a dog going to see the vet, the procedure is a bit different (apparently, because dogs don't have phone and can't get a text to come in). :p

Yesterday, hubs took Jack to the vet for his yearly check-up. From the outside door, he rang the intercom, and a tech answered. Hubs was not allowed inside at all.

Instead, the tech put a muzzle in a box that opened out of the front door. Hubs put it on Jack. Then the tech told him to tie the leash to the railing, and go wait in his car, so that the tech could come out and bring the dog inside. (Hubs was not pleased, as he likes to be there with Jack, and also talk directly to the vet.) Not to mention, Jack is prescribed pills to take to calm him, before any vet visit. But we swear he's high as a kite when he takes one of those, and acts even more like a lunatic, by the time he gets there! :hilarious:

When appt. was done, the vet called him on the phone, and explained the details of the visit. (Jack has a few issues, common in older dogs.) Then, the tech asked for the credit card #, and told him to wait in car until he came out and leased up Jack to the railing. (And oh, an envelope was attached to the leash with a statement for exam/bloodwork, vaccine, meds, etc., for $660.13.) :in pain: It's 2020.

sounds a bit similar to our vet, instead we leave the dog in their little entryway.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom