The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

Lilofan

RANT --

So I saw on the news last night, that freaking AppleTV BOUGHT the rights to show 3 classic movies-- Charlie Brown Halloween, Charlie Brown Thanksgiving and Charlie Brown Christmas.

For FIFTY-FIVE YEARS, those movies have shown on regular network TV (no cable, satellite, Roku or other gadgets needed), so that ALL people could enjoy watching these entertaining classics. So now, the only way to see those 3 movies is to get a Roku or whatever other thing, or subscribe to AppleTV service, to see them! :jawdrop: Are you kidding me??!!

Now, as a "gesture" AppleTV is allowing a "select"(?) number of the presentation times to be viewed for free, without actually subscribing -- BUT, it still means that you'd have to buy a Roku stick or other way to access AppleTV.

This aboslutely sucks and is very unfair to people, especially NOW with the pandemic -- with so many out of work. Many people are in food lines, for heaven's sake. I'm just beside myself over this. (It's not that I, personally, couldn't buy a DVD of the movies on my own, but I'm mad about the principle of this mess. If individuals and/or families ever needed uplifting TV movies during 2020, it's now, and should be accessed free and easily -- as done in the past 55 years!!) :banghead:
Wow, Charlie Brown I grew up with watching the TV specials on CBS then it switched to showing on ABC about 20 years ago. Curious if Disney who owns ABC needed to make some cash and offloaded Charlie Brown to Apple. Disney is in a bad financial state right now. Besides ongoing layoffs in many parts of the Disney company I would not be surprised if more parts of the company are being sold off. This of course comes with the reality of more losing their jobs.

Figgy1

Premium Member
Wow, Charlie Brown I grew up with watching the TV specials on CBS then it switched to showing on ABC about 20 years ago. Curious if Disney who owns ABC needed to make some cash and offloaded Charlie Brown to Apple. Disney is in a bad financial state right now. Besides ongoing layoffs in many parts of the Disney company I would not be surprised if more parts of the company are being sold off. This of course comes with the reality of more losing their jobs.
I don't think they sold them off so much as let the contract lapse as Disney has to pay to air them. Disney has bee about having ownership vs having something they have to pay for RIP GMR

Lilofan

I don't think they sold them off so much as let the contract lapse as Disney has to pay to air them. Disney has bee about having ownership vs having something they have to pay for RIP GMR
Sounds right. ANY expense to Disney is critical so the company is looking to cut costs any way possible.

FutureCEO

So I have been looking at getting a new (used) car for at least 6 months now and I think I'm finally going to pull the trigger on one tomorrow. I'm 6,3 but I have always liked small cars and I don't have any kids that I have to drive around. My current daily driver is a 2011 Mini Cooper S with a six speed and I love driving it, it's almost like driving a go-cart but it's a money pit and it seems like I'm always putting money into it. I have narrow down to two cars 2019 Toyota Corolla hatchback and a 2019 Subaru Impreza hatchback. Test drove them both and I'm 99% sold on the Subaru but that Corolla is a very close second.

I test drove the Impreza hatchback (would have been new at the time) and it was amazing. Too much money for me in the end but amazing. I was disappointed on the mileage per gallon though.

Lilofan

I test drove the Impreza hatchback (would have been new at the time) and it was amazing. Too much money for me in the end but amazing. I was disappointed on the mileage per gallon though.
The Impreza is heavy for its small size due to AWD and affects gas mileage but it will make it through snow if that's the climate you live in. One of the few one can get in manual. Save the manuals!

Goofyernmost

RANT --

So I saw on the news last night, that freaking AppleTV BOUGHT the rights to show 3 classic movies-- Charlie Brown Halloween, Charlie Brown Thanksgiving and Charlie Brown Christmas.

For FIFTY-FIVE YEARS, those movies have shown on regular network TV (no cable, satellite, Roku or other gadgets needed), so that ALL people could enjoy watching these entertaining classics. So now, the only way to see those 3 movies is to get a Roku or whatever other thing, or subscribe to AppleTV service, to see them! :jawdrop: Are you kidding me??!!

Now, as a "gesture" AppleTV is allowing a "select"(?) number of the presentation times to be viewed for free, without actually subscribing -- BUT, it still means that you'd have to buy a Roku stick or other way to access AppleTV.

This absolutely sucks and is very unfair to people, especially NOW with the pandemic -- with so many out of work. Many people are in food lines, for heaven's sake. I'm just beside myself over this. (It's not that I, personally, couldn't buy a DVD of the movies on my own, but I'm mad about the principle of this mess. If individuals and/or families ever needed uplifting TV movies during 2020, it's now, and should be accessed free and easily -- as done in the past 55 years!!) :banghead:
Take my attitude... I saw them continuously when my kids were growing up and haven't seen one of them since they stopped watching them. I know, I know, I have no respect for some forms of nostalgia, but I love myself and that is all that counts, right?

ImperfectPixie

WHEW!!!

My boys both get transported to school by private van company...my oldest has had a pick-up time of 6AM since school started in mid-September. To say it's been hard on us as a family is putting it lightly. The reason for the super-early pickup is because the school is 25 minutes away from us, and they've got to pick up other kiddos on the way with a first class start time of 7:20.

The van company just called...one of the kids that rides his bus is changing which days he goes to school (we're in hybrid mode), so our new pickup time is 6:30! YAY!!! I know it's only a 30-minute difference...but for us that's huge.

Goofyernmost

WHEW!!!

My boys both get transported to school by private van company...my oldest has had a pick-up time of 6AM since school started in mid-September. To say it's been hard on us as a family is putting it lightly. The reason for the super-early pickup is because the school is 25 minutes away from us, and they've got to pick up other kiddos on the way with a first class start time of 7:20.

The van company just called...one of the kids that rides his bus is changing which days he goes to school (we're in hybrid mode), so our new pickup time is 6:30! YAY!!! I know it's only a 30-minute difference...but for us that's huge.
If educators are supposed to be so damn smart why would the schedule classes to start at 7:20am when they have students coming from 25 minutes away? Even it they didn't, what young person has ever been completely awake at that hour except when they were infants? Does the staff have to get home in time in the afternoon to watch their TV programs? When I drove bus, the morning run (starting at 7am) was like heaven. Kids would get on the bus silently, sit down and fall asleep. The afternoon pick up was a nightmare. Sugar charged pre-teens with more energy then a nuclear explosion.

MouseDreaming

My view as I got home from work. It is still snowing. :confused:

View attachment 507332View attachment 507333

On a happier note...in June I decided to subscribe to a monthly snack box called Universal Yums. It delivers 6 different snacks in a box from a different country. So far we have had U.K., Columbia, Egypt, and this month's box arrived and it is Russia! We tried this sweet treat tonight and it was a chocolate coated cake with a dulce de leche type of filling. It was good but had a bit of a salty after taste. And the cover of the treat looked like a scary Russian baby.
View attachment 507334
The like is for the snack box. Too early for snow. Did your trees even lose their leaves, yet? We are supposed to hit 71 here, today. Any chance of a warm up and melt up your way?

MouseDreaming

RANT --

This absolutely sucks and is very unfair to people, especially NOW with the pandemic -- with so many out of work. Many people are in food lines, for heaven's sake. I'm just beside myself over this. (It's not that I, personally, couldn't buy a DVD of the movies on my own, but I'm mad about the principle of this mess. If individuals and/or families ever needed uplifting TV movies during 2020, it's now, and should be accessed free and easily -- as done in the past 55 years!!) :banghead:
I absolutely agree. Glad I only have to add the Christmas special to my collection.

ImperfectPixie

If educators are supposed to be so damn smart why would the schedule classes to start at 7:20am when they have students coming from 25 minutes away? Even it they didn't, what young person has ever been completely awake at that hour except when they were infants? Does the staff have to get home in time in the afternoon to watch their TV programs? When I drove bus, the morning run (starting at 7am) was like heaven. Kids would get on the bus silently, sit down and fall asleep. The afternoon pick up was a nightmare. Sugar charged pre-teens with more energy then a nuclear explosion.
He just became a freshman in high school...so that's why the super-early start. We have 2 high schools, each with it's own unique tech programs (some of which lead to certification in some fields and one that even counts as hours towards a nursing license), so we get to choose which high school our children attend. Unfortunately, the town is so spread out that it can take as long as an hour to get from one end to the other. Where he's autistic, he goes to the one further away from us, as they house the autism program - and he still gets access to the tech programs, which is awesome.

He's 14, but has been REALLY good about self-regulating in the morning and getting himself up about an hour early so he can have some game/video time before school the last couple of years...the standing house rule is that he MUST have breakfast and be ready for the van - including making his lunch - before he can use any devices. Prior to this year, he'd have already eaten and been dressed by the time I got up at 6, and I'd come downstairs to find him ready to go and just chilling for an hour before the van came at 7. The hour difference in pickup time this year made it so he didn't have very much free time...which we've found is actually a key part of helping him start the day in the right mind-set for having a great day at school. Plus, hubby doesn't have to be up until 6:30, so it's been messing him all up, and he's got a very physically demanding job. 30 minutes difference may not seem like a lot, but it's going to let us realign our morning routines much better.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom