The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

Goofyernmost

If memory serves, my mom used to get the "minute" cook-at-home kind...I used to make it after school for a treat. :)
That's what I get, but "minute" is a bold faced lie. It takes forever to cook. It is easy to tell when it is done because it has to be bubbling even when you are stirring it. If it does that you can take it off the heat and transfer it to a serving container.

1603240324487.png

This is almost actual size. It is only an 8 oz container and it is not something that people buy every week. One would think that they should be able to keep up with demand. However, they cannot.

ImperfectPixie

That's what I get, but "minute" is a bold faced lie. It takes forever to cook. It is easy to tell when it is done because it has to be bubbling even when you are stirring it. If it does that you can take it off the heat and transfer it to a serving container.

View attachment 507374

This is almost actual size. It is only an 8 oz container and it is not something that people buy every week. One would think that they should be able to keep up with demand. However, they cannot.
YES!!! I think I used to use my mom's double-boiler pan so I didn't burn it!

StarWarsGirl

I do force them to eat at least 2-3 bites of stuff they don't like at dinner time. My oldest is pretty good about it. My youngest it's like pulling teeth and sometimes he'll drag it out as long as he can.
Mom actually stopped doing that with B. He'll basically eat any vegetable as long as it's got soy sauce on it or it's in stir fry. But fruit does not pass his lips with the exception of apple sauce. So she keeps a lot of frozen stir fry in the freezer for him. Tonight, the rest of us had steak and he had one of his frozen stir fry dinners, which he pulled out and heated up. But then last night we had grilled chicken and he ate that.

He's getting better. This year at age 18 he finally started eating hot dogs and hamburgers on occasion. I was shocked one day when we were in Hersheypark and he told me he wanted a hot dog.

ImperfectPixie

Mom actually stopped doing that with B. He'll basically eat any vegetable as long as it's got soy sauce on it or it's in stir fry. But fruit does not pass his lips with the exception of apple sauce. So she keeps a lot of frozen stir fry in the freezer for him. Tonight, the rest of us had steak and he had one of his frozen stir fry dinners, which he pulled out and heated up. But then last night we had grilled chicken and he ate that.

He's getting better. This year at age 18 he finally started eating hot dogs and hamburgers on occasion. I was shocked one day when we were in Hersheypark and he told me he wanted a hot dog.
My youngest isn't bad with his lunch - peanut butter & jelly on oatmeal bread, a banana, no-sugar-added applesauce, honeydew melon, string cheese, flavored water, and a snack-pack of mini oreos for a treat. He just recently started eating mashed potatoes. Neither of them will touch pizza or hamburgers (seriously...I sometimes wonder what planet they're from). They'll eat shake n bake chicken, but they aren't wild about it. Neither of them will eat red meat unless I push them hard, and then only tiny bites of roast beef. They'll both eat thinly sliced pork chop, but only if they can dip it in applesauce. No gravy on anything or sauces of any kind other than the pork/applesauce. They both love hard boiled or fried eggs or pancakes (no syrup though), and they'll both eat a variety of cereals with milk (including healthy ones) or oatmeal. They'll both eat glazed carrots and as of just now, sweet peas. It's taking what feels like forever, but we're getting them to at least try more foods and adding new ones to our regular repertoire around once a month or so. Their tastes are just so weird...very narrow for the most part, but then they each like something you wouldn't think a young kid would like...like my oldest with broccoli or my youngest with ziti with grated parmesan. For them the aversion to trying new things is about both how the food looks and texture. It doesn't help that they both prefer to graze rather than have a sit-down meal (but I do get it...I was like that as a kid, too). I've tried setting out veggie or fruit trays or even a combo of fruit/pretzels/cheese, but most of it will go untouched. My oldest is at least willing to try things, but if he doesn't like it the first time, it will be a long time before he's willing to try it again, and if he changed his mind about something (like cheese), he doesn't think he'll ever like it again. My younger son is more stubborn about trying new things, so we got him a "game board" plate with spots to add small servings of different foods and a covered "reward" spot at the end that I'll put a few M&Ms in...he doesn't get the prize unless he eats all of his dinner, and it's been working pretty good for the most part. We still end up defaulting to either hot dogs (turkey) or ziti for them for dinner more often than I would like.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom