The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

93boomer

Premium Member
Hi, all. Some updates, big and small:

We got the PPP loan funds a few days ago, thank goodness. It's not huge, but it does what it's supposed to do, which is cover payroll for the next 8 weeks. I'm encouraged now to try for the bigger SBA loans, which would be the game changers.

One landlord has been partially cooperative; the other has not at all, but I plan to call the main office on Monday and see what can be done.

Sales are inching up.

Brian has some unemployment coming in, although it was paused because he didn't realize he had to start showing job search history (that had been waived initially.)

The way things are going, we may be able to open within the next two weeks. Our towns and county are petitioning the Governor to treat Broward County like most of the rest of the state of FL. Apparently he is doing that for Palm Beach, but not here. What they call opening "at 25% capacity" would just be standard business for us - we are rarely anywhere near capacity outside of special events.

Definitely concerned about other openings that are likely to cause spread - beaches, parks, nail salons, massage, etc.

As far as I know, we're both still healthy, although Brian has had strange headaches and what he is calling severe sinus congestion/infection. Antibiotics do not seem to have helped. He said he had something similar years ago. This has been going on nearly two weeks, and he has been on the miserable side. Edit to add: today they referred him to an ear, nose & throat Doc.

We drained our little pool because we let it go for so long, that even shock treatment didn't cure the green. Drained it, scrubbed it, should be refilling it tomorrow, and that will give us something else to do (float in the sun!) (Yes, of course with cocktails!)

I have had so little free time to come here. I read once in awhile without posting. The driving gig is slowly improving, but it is really exhausting - and a lot of hours for not a ton of money. Last week was particularly bad, this week is my best so far. With all that work, though, I've made about as much as we would normally ring up on a Friday night at one store. (Of course, this is mostly profit, my store sales would be maybe 25 to 30% profit on average.) If I keep up the pace for Saturday & Sunday, I may end up with as much as one store used to ring on a Saturday. Putting that into perspective kind of drives me nuts. That said, I'm beginning to master it. The better you do, the better assignments you get. I was getting a lot of $30-$70 deliveries, which might pay about $7 plus tip, if any. (Tips have improved a bit.) This morning I had to do two decent sized orders from Publix ($150 and $160) and have them both delivered by 10AM. (The store opens at 8AM.) With some luck (one quiet customer and one who responded quickly to questions about stock-outs) I had them both delivered by 9:34AM. One tipped me $35. The other, no tip so far.

Having done that successfully, tomorrow morning I have a $460 Publix order for the same timeframe. I'm going to get to the store before they open, sometimes they'll let you in early on a Friday or Saturday (especially for Shipt shoppers.) Fingers crossed. I mapped everything out tonight and checked the Publix site in case I didn't know what aisle something was in. I know, I know, I'm too into it. But it's a challenge and a game. And it pays off if I do it well. The base pay on an order like that should be $25-$35, and there's a chance of a good tip since it's in the Las Olas area.

I've lost about 10 pounds. Mood is generally OK. Just lots and lots to do, and I beat myself up for not getting everything in the world done. Weird situations with employees (stories for another day.) And as always, when you put more effort in one area, you put less into another, and kind of end up in the same place.

People are gross. They don't follow rules. They don't care about anyone but themselves when they are in a supermarket rushing around carelessly invading others' 6 foot bubbles. I've started firmly putting my arm out and saying, "SIX FEET!" and I don't care if they don't like it. Stay. Away. From. Me. The shopping cart is a great buffer, especially when you pull it behind you.

I'm sure I'm forgetting something, but I think that's a long enough post for now. Kylie is OK for the most part. Brian has suddenly taken to walking her at night. That's a good thing.

Looking forward to the little pool, maybe by late tomorrow afternoon.

Did my own Corona haircut #2 yesterday. Guess I need a new pic.

Can't rule out a trip to Orlando just to go to Jiko and come home when the time is right. We all need a little happy for balance. We find it here and there. I'm loving driving in the nice weather with the sunroof open and the Yacht Rock station on.

OK, gotta get to sleep, need to be up by 7 and out the door soon after. Hope everyone is well and safe!
I listen to Yacht Rick and Classic Vinyl! Love Kat Boyd when she dj’s!

donaldtoo

C19-related story that I never posted about...
The Friday morning of the last day at the office, before we brought our work home, my car wouldn’t start (DWifey took me to the office and then picked me up with all my office stuff). The car exhibited the same exact symptoms from 2 previous times. One being a fuel sensor in the tank gone bad, and the other being crank and cam timing sensors gone bad. Car cranked just fine, would act like it wanted to start, and then back off to just continue cranking. Also, it had to have a new fuel pump put on it a little less than 3 years ago after the plastic (yes, plastic) impeller shredded... :facepalm:
But, with the fuel pump, it would just crank and crank and not even give an inkling of wanting to start.
Anyhoo, sensing major $$$$$ :greedy:, with both DWifey and DS having just lost their jobs, and us not really needing another car under the circumstances, we just decided to let it sit for the time being.
Well, then along comes “We’re goin’ back to the office!!!”. Time (this past Monday) to address the inevitable. DWifey called to have the car towed to the shop. No less than 3 times I heard DWifey tell the lady on the other end of the phone that it was a green 2003 Chevy Malibu. About an hour later, the flatbed driver shows up and calls. He says the green Camry (DWifey’s car) is locked and therefore he cannot get the key from under the drivers side floor mat...!!!!! :facepalm::hilarious:
I put on a mask and walk out front (of course, the tow dude isn’t wearing one), and hip him to the correct vehicle. He proceeds to get in the car to try to start it. He then tells me it won’t start because it’s out of gas. I assure him that’s just the way that gauge works, and it’s definitely not out of gas. He insists it is. I then retrieve a full 2 gallon gas can (used for the lawn mower) from my garage and dump it all in the tank. He had a crank fest, to the point of wearing the battery down to try to prove me wrong. Under normal circumstances I would have said a few bad words to him, told him to go the **** away, and we’d call another towing company. But, it was all so comical at this point that I just rolled with it until he finally relented that I was correct...!!!!! :hilarious:
Turns out, it was the fuel pump again... :facepalm:
But, happy ending, as the part had a lifetime warranty on it, and everything, including towing, labor, and parts cost us a grand total of $0.00...!!!!!!!!!!! :joyfull::)

donaldtoo

They had to jump my car at the shop to get it started so I could drive it home (#thankstowdude ;)). I then let it sit ‘til yesterday to let any potential germage, hopefully, croak.
Jumped it from DWifey’s car yesterday afternoon, and drove the highway stew outta’ it to get the battery charged back up. No problems, thus far.

Saw a nice ride on my drive...!!! :)

24EC10BF-97B1-46C2-9D20-D0F291B15334.jpeg

MySmallWorldof4

StarWarsGirl

As far as I know, we're both still healthy, although Brian has had strange headaches and what he is calling severe sinus congestion/infection. Antibiotics do not seem to have helped. He said he had something similar years ago. This has been going on nearly two weeks, and he has been on the miserable side. Edit to add: today they referred him to an ear, nose & throat Doc.
Not that I'm a doctor, but the headaches sound like they could be migraines. Sinus pressure/allergies can be one trigger, as can stress. It should be interesting to see what the ENT says, if he has a deviated septum or something causing his sinus problems.

But yeah, the headache portion sounds possibly like a migraine. Only about 30% of those who get migraines get the migraine with aura ("classic" migraine with visual symptoms). There's a large portion of the population that gets migraine without aura, so it's commonly missed by doctors. Worth asking about as well.

Figgy1

Premium Member
We actually had a snow squall 20 minutes ago! By the time I went to record it to send it to dh who had driven up to his office, it was done. I don't remember ever seeing snow in May down here.
I never want to again. Sorry Minnie. ;)
There's bleep on my pine trees, it's strange even for up here. Tomorrow morning I have to make a grocery run:brb::cold::cold::cold::cold::cold::cold::cold::cold::cold::cold:

StarWarsGirl

We actually had a snow squall 20 minutes ago! By the time I went to record it to send it to dh who had driven up to his office, it was done. I don't remember ever seeing snow in May down here.
I never want to again. Sorry Minnie. ;)
Yikes! None of that down here, although I can tell by the way my head feels that was had a front come through last night. I slept through it, but woke up and was like, err, yep.

Songbird76

Hi, all. Some updates, big and small:

We got the PPP loan funds a few days ago, thank goodness. It's not huge, but it does what it's supposed to do, which is cover payroll for the next 8 weeks. I'm encouraged now to try for the bigger SBA loans, which would be the game changers.

One landlord has been partially cooperative; the other has not at all, but I plan to call the main office on Monday and see what can be done.

Sales are inching up.

Brian has some unemployment coming in, although it was paused because he didn't realize he had to start showing job search history (that had been waived initially.)

The way things are going, we may be able to open within the next two weeks. Our towns and county are petitioning the Governor to treat Broward County like most of the rest of the state of FL. Apparently he is doing that for Palm Beach, but not here. What they call opening "at 25% capacity" would just be standard business for us - we are rarely anywhere near capacity outside of special events.

Definitely concerned about other openings that are likely to cause spread - beaches, parks, nail salons, massage, etc.

We drained our little pool because we let it go for so long, that even shock treatment didn't cure the green. Drained it, scrubbed it, should be refilling it tomorrow, and that will give us something else to do (float in the sun!) (Yes, of course with cocktails!)

I have had so little free time to come here. I read once in awhile without posting. The driving gig is slowly improving, but it is really exhausting - and a lot of hours for not a ton of money. Last week was particularly bad, this week is my best so far. With all that work, though, I've made about as much as we would normally ring up on a Friday night at one store. (Of course, this is mostly profit, my store sales would be maybe 25 to 30% profit on average.) If I keep up the pace for Saturday & Sunday, I may end up with as much as one store used to ring on a Saturday. Putting that into perspective kind of drives me nuts. That said, I'm beginning to master it. The better you do, the better assignments you get. I was getting a lot of $30-$70 deliveries, which might pay about $7 plus tip, if any. (Tips have improved a bit.) This morning I had to do two decent sized orders from Publix ($150 and $160) and have them both delivered by 10AM. (The store opens at 8AM.) With some luck (one quiet customer and one who responded quickly to questions about stock-outs) I had them both delivered by 9:34AM. One tipped me $35. The other, no tip so far.

Having done that successfully, tomorrow morning I have a $460 Publix order for the same timeframe. I'm going to get to the store before they open, sometimes they'll let you in early on a Friday or Saturday (especially for Shipt shoppers.) Fingers crossed. I mapped everything out tonight and checked the Publix site in case I didn't know what aisle something was in. I know, I know, I'm too into it. But it's a challenge and a game. And it pays off if I do it well. The base pay on an order like that should be $25-$35, and there's a chance of a good tip since it's in the Las Olas area.

I've lost about 10 pounds. Mood is generally OK. Just lots and lots to do, and I beat myself up for not getting everything in the world done. Weird situations with employees (stories for another day.) And as always, when you put more effort in one area, you put less into another, and kind of end up in the same place.

People are gross. They don't follow rules. They don't care about anyone but themselves when they are in a supermarket rushing around carelessly invading others' 6 foot bubbles. I've started firmly putting my arm out and saying, "SIX FEET!" and I don't care if they don't like it. Stay. Away. From. Me. The shopping cart is a great buffer, especially when you pull it behind you.

I'm sure I'm forgetting something, but I think that's a long enough post for now. Kylie is OK for the most part. Brian has suddenly taken to walking her at night. That's a good thing.

Looking forward to the little pool, maybe by late tomorrow afternoon.

Did my own Corona haircut #2 yesterday. Guess I need a new pic.

Can't rule out a trip to Orlando just to go to Jiko and come home when the time is right. We all need a little happy for balance. We find it here and there. I'm loving driving in the nice weather with the sunroof open and the Yacht Rock station on.

OK, gotta get to sleep, need to be up by 7 and out the door soon after. Hope everyone is well and safe!
Well, I'm glad to hear that you are coping and adapting, even if it's not ideal. And I'm totally with you on people being gross. We started off really well here, people taking it seriously and keeping their distance, but in the last couple of weeks stores have been much busier. There was a picture in the news because Ikea opened up again and there were lines backed up to the parking garage to get into the store. People just aren't being smart about it. Yesterday, when I left the grocery store, there was a family standing literally right next to the door....there was no way to get out of the store without walking right next to them.

Enjoy your pool! I bet that will be a great way to relax and unwind!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom