The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

21stamps

Unicoi is only about 5-10 minutes from Helen, so you can certainly get food to go and take it back to the cabin. Easy.
And Betty's has good supplies and samples too, so pick up some snacks there.

Ok, this just solved one of my biggest concerns, and another reason why I was debating a switch to the lodge. We’ll stick with the cabin if it’s close enough to bring restaurant food back!

Thank you for all of the links. This helps tremendously.

21stamps

It’s so weird that these places don’t have “COVID-19 alerts” on their home page.. it makes it difficult to know what’s really available.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Our kitchen is already super organized...I'm not organized about most things, but I've gone over to my friend's places and organized their kitchens for them. Even when I'm home by myself, my bedroom might be a mess, but the kitchen is spotless.

My mom told me about a week ago that my bed needed a headboard. Note, I haven't had a headboard on my bed since I've had a queen sized bed. I got it when I was 8, so 17 years, no headboard, suddenly Mom brings it up. I questioned her about it, and she said because it makes it look more finished. I told her, frankly, I don't want the dang thing, I've lived without it for 17 years, and since, "Your bed needs a headboard" translates to "Buy a headboard for your bed" yeah not happening.

I've had no real urges to organize my room...much to Mom's dismay

I burst out laughing over this. :hilarious: Never ceases to amaze me, what insignificant items can transform themselves into a crisis.

The crisis only affects one of the two people.

Reflecting back upon my own experiences, I was never the person affected. :p

21stamps

This is Georgia...land of the weird.

The woman I spoke to (btw southern accents are always so calming to hear) said that the park is trying to encourage people to visit, they want people to use their accommodations, and that social distancing is happening while doing so.

I think that’s great for GA parks. It makes me sad for Ohio. Though our trails are getting much activity, the parks are not generating income. All lodging and campsites are closed, all park entrance fees are waived, all activities (with the exception of hiking and biking) and concessions are closed, all welcome centers are closed.., it has to be hurting them. I understand the recreation, but I wish they could have kept the cabins or at least campsites open.

However, it has pushed me to look a bit farther for a quick hiking trip, and I’m glad that I found Unicoi.

epcotisbest

The woman I spoke to (btw southern accents are always so calming to hear) said that the park is trying to encourage people to visit, they want people to use their accommodations, and that social distancing is happening while doing so.

I think that’s great for GA parks. It makes me sad for Ohio. Though our trails are getting much activity, the parks are not generating income. All lodging and campsites are closed, all park entrance fees are waived, all activities (with the exception of hiking and biking) and concessions are closed, all welcome centers are closed.., it has to be hurting them. I understand the recreation, but I wish they could have kept the cabins or at least campsites open.

However, it has pushed me to look a bit farther for a quick hiking trip, and I’m glad that I found Unicoi.

I think you will like it here, cooties and all.

epcotisbest

@21stamps I forgot to mention some of the best hiking around here is about 30 miles from Helen, with stunning views and a 1000 feet deep gorge. Both the north and south rim trails offer incredible views of the gorge and some great hiking. So much to see, so little time.

21stamps

@21stamps I forgot to mention some of the best hiking around here is about 30 miles from Helen, with stunning views and a 1000 feet deep gorge. Both the north and south rim trails offer incredible views of the gorge and some great hiking. So much to see, so little time.

Thank you!

I’ve been trying to do research on trails and closures for the past hour or so.

3 things I’ve found-

1. I’m going a week early, as the restaurants and recreational activities all open back up on the 21st. 🤦‍♀️ I thought about rescheduling, but decided against it. My kid really needs to get away, ASAP.. so do I. All restrooms are closed here, so it’s tough to spend an entire day hiking, after already driving to get there.

2. Black bear. Apparently they’re plentiful in the park, and known to come around people. I’m a little uneasy about that. One trail we’re doing is supposed to be 6.5 hours long.. am I going to attract a bear with food in my backpack?? Am I going to attract one while I’m grilling our dinner on a coal grill, outside of the cabin?? 😬
Do I need to worry about going off on side trails or just through the brush, as we like to do while hiking? Should we not hike soon after we eat breakfast?
(Reminder- I’ve only gotten in to hiking relatively recently, I’m much more of a marine-life enthusiast, only went tent camping for the first time a few years ago, no bears in that area in Indiana)

3. The Georgia Park website is a little confusing. I want to find out exactly what is close to us, meaning within 30 minutes to maybe explore more trails or waterfalls.

We will be there from dawn Sunday, til sundown Tuesday. Not sure if that gives us time to explore outside of Unicoi or not.

One more.. kiddo really wants to use his “4th Grade National Parks Pass”... but I think all National Park designated historical areas and parks themselves are closed. We’re going to bring it though just in case, it will make him happy.

Last edited:

21stamps

Oh, and Unicoi is only a 7 hour drive from me, in a little patch of the country that I’ve never even driven through, so that’s exciting. I’m getting really excited to see Helen, it looks like something straight out of a movie. T said “It looks like a land from Fortnite” 😂😂

ETA- I’m assuming that Rest Areas are open? Eek, I better look at that for restroom stops.

Last edited:

epcotisbest

We will be there from dawn Sunday, til sundown Tuesday. Not sure if that gives us time to explore outside of Unicoi or not.

I'm sorry, I gave way too many suggestions for that short amount of time. There will not be enough time to drive to Dillard, Highlands, Tallulah Gorge, etc...
My suggestion is to spend some quality time hiking to Anna Ruby (the pathway from the parking lot to the base of the falls makes for a nice walk) and some of the trails right there at Unicoi. The trail loop around the lake is a nice, scenic walk and easy to access from the cabins. It is worth your time to walk around Helen, but it is probably going to be too cold to float the river and I doubt they are doing that right now anyway.
As for bears, if bears were eating tourists, that would not be a good thing for tourist promotion so they try to keep that part quiet.
My best suggestion would be to not try to do so much, take a few hikes, enjoy Helen, visit the mill and Betty's and enjoy the cabin and cooking out. Don't feed the bears or the locals and, this is my best advice...if you kinda like here, then just plan to come back when you can stay longer and do more. You might not even like this whole area, and if not, you have not wasted a lot of time. Quiet, peaceful, outdoor pursuits in the mountains are not for everyone. If you find you have time for one side trip, I would go with Tallulah Gorge. It is a beautiful area. Oh, and Brasstown Bald, I forgot to mention that. Worth the view from the top, and nice drive from Helen.
One warning, local news reports there are bigger crowds than usual right now because people are getting back out after being home for so long. So you have a mix of locals, city dwellers from Atlanta, and tourists from Ohio all competing for the same trails space and waterfalls views. Of course, some might get chased away by bears! 😳

Last edited:

21stamps

I'm sorry, I gave way too many suggestions for that short amount of time. There will not be enough time to drive to Dillard, Highlands, Tallulah Gorge, etc...
My suggestion is to spend some quality time hiking to Anna Ruby (the pathway from the parking lot to the base of the falls makes for a nice walk) and some of the trails right there at Unicoi. The trail loop around the lake is a nice, scenic walk and easy to access from the cabins. It is worth your time to walk around Helen, but it is probably going to be too cold to float the river and I doubt they are doing that right now anyway.
As for bears, if bears were eating tourists, that would not be a good thing for tourist promotion so they try to keep that part quiet.
My best suggestion would be to not try to do so much, take a few hikes, enjoy Helen, visit the mill and Betty's and enjoy the cabin and cooking out. Don't feed the bears or the locals and, this is my best advice...if you kinda like here, then just plan to come back when you can stay longer and do more. You might not even like this whole area, and if not, you have not wasted a lot of time. Quite, peaceful, outdoor pursuits in the mountains are not for everyone. If you find you have time for one side trip, I would go with Tallulah Gorge. It is a beautiful area.
One warning, local news reports there are bigger crowds than usual right now because people are getting back out after being home for so long. So you have a mix of locals, city dwellers from Atlanta, and tourists from Ohio all competing for the same trails space and waterfalls views. Of course, some might get chased away by bears! 😳

Lol. Don’t make fun of me. I’m new to bears. The only place I’ve hiked with bears in the vicinity, is Red River Gorge, and we only lasted a day, because kiddo perforated his ear drum after jumping off a cliff into water.. on his 3rd jump. Closest hospital was an hour away, and we just decided to pack up and go home after we finally got back to our cabin.

I read this about Tallulah Gorge-

4F013114-EF64-430D-B415-8BDF5222A110.jpeg

The park opens at 8am... I’m thinking that we might be able to leave earlier Saturday night, maybe 10:30ish, I could sleep an hour at a rest stop (if there’s one relatively close), and then be at the Tallulah Gorge exactly at 8am.... before going to Unicoi.
Does that sound plausible to you?

21stamps

Or, I could just book a camp site to make sure we get in, and not use it? The bridge sounds like the main problem though, which I think would require an early arrival either way. It will be really cold at 8am!

Oh, I also want to add that the website talk about Geocaching. We just started geocaching recently, so I’m really excited about finding those while there!

epcotisbest

Lol. Don’t make fun of me. I’m new to bears. The only place I’ve hiked with bears in the vicinity, is Red River Gorge, and we only lasted a day, because kiddo perforated his ear drum after jumping off a cliff into water.. on his 3rd jump. Closest hospital was an hour away, and we just decided to pack up and go home after we finally got back to our cabin.

I read this about Tallulah Gorge-

View attachment 469128

The park opens at 8am... I’m thinking that we might be able to leave earlier Saturday night, maybe 10:30ish, I could sleep an hour at a rest stop (if there’s one relatively close), and then be at the Tallulah Gorge exactly at 8am.... before going to Unicoi.
Does that sound plausible to you?

Plausible, yes, practical, no. I would not want to try it after driving all night, even with a whole hour of restorative rest stop sleep, especially if you get there early and still have to wait to walk down to the bridge.
Not trying to discourage you from seeing the gorge, but, and maybe this is just me being an old guy worrying about your well being, there is nothing wrong with not seeing everything. Sounds like my Disney advice too, huh?

21stamps

Oh shoot. :(

You need a permit for the trail below, sounds amazing, but it’s closed due to COVID-19.

5EB7521C-FB69-45F0-ACED-72BE36298B10.jpeg

Gosh, maybe this a mistake to go on a trip this weekend. Another one of my ‘buying before researching’ 🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️ I already told T that we were going, showed him the cabins and the park.

21stamps

Plausible, yes, practical, no. I would not want to try it after driving all night, even with a whole hour of restorative rest stop sleep, especially if you get there early and still have to wait to walk down to the bridge.
Not trying to discourage you from seeing the gorge, but, and maybe this is just me being an old guy worrying about your well being, there is nothing wrong with not seeing everything. Sounds like my Disney advice too, huh?

“Restorative rest stop sleep” 🤣. Yes, it does sound like your Disney advice. I just don’t want to drive 7hours for paved trails... I really want this to be a couple days of adventure, even knowing that we can’t do a lot of what is normally offered.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom