The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

Goofyernmost

Per my comments above to Goofyernmost, I think that you and I are reading different reviews of them!! ;) You didn't say if you actually tried one -- have you? I'm curious to know if you'd like it.
I think it is a great option for people that want to feel part of things, but don't or can't eat red meat, but as a "won me over" option, it didn't work. It wasn't bad tasting, in fact it just seemed more tasteless then anything. On top of that it is expensive. I thought vegetation was cheaper then beef, but I must be living in a dream. I bought the meal with a small Ice Tea and it was over $9.00. Seems like a lot for grass clippings. Talk about sticker shock.

Lilofan

Per my comments above to Goofyernmost, I think that you and I are reading different reviews of them!! ;) You didn't say if you actually tried one -- have you? I'm curious to know if you'd like it.

As for Dunkies, I haven't read anything about their plant-based option yet. I'll let others try it first, to see what the consensus is. :)
I have tried the BK Impossible Whopper. It is actually not bad. But not worth the price. I can go to Fuddruckers and have a better burger and all you can eat condiment bar for $10. I get creative and make salads out of the bar.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
I think it is a great option for people that want to feel part of things, but don't or can't eat red meat, but as a "won me over" option, it didn't work. It wasn't bad tasting, in fact it just seemed more tasteless then anything. On top of that it is expensive. I thought vegetation was cheaper then beef, but I must be living in a dream. I bought the meal with a small Ice Tea and it was over $9.00. Seems like a lot for grass clippings. Talk about sticker shock.

I have tried the BK Impossible Whopper. t's actually not bad. But not worth the price. I can go to Fuddruckers and have a better burger and all you can eat condiment bar. I get creative and make salads out of the bar.

Interesting, on both comments above. Remember when "fast food" used to be cheaply priced food?!

Lilofan

Interesting, on both comments above. Remember when "fast food" used to be cheaply priced food?!
When I traveled to the highest altitude capital of the world, La Paz Bolivia 13k ft above sea level, years ago, a beer and a small steak was $4. Coca tea to help with altitude sickness, 50 cents. Burger King combo meal was $7. The locals told me BK was a place to go on a special occasion.

MySmallWorldof4

As for Dunkies, I haven't read anything about their plant-based option yet. I'll let others try it first, to see what the consensus is. :)
I had tried them before in restaurants that advertised plant based burgers on the menu. They were ok. I wouldn’t go out if my way to get them though as they are technically not any healthier than meat. I would prefer a whole grain and bean patty. At least I would know the ingredients. I have recently finally perfected a lentil and quinoa patty recipe that is flavorful and holds together. It beats the impossible burger by leaps and bounds.

DryerLintFan

Premium Member

When they say that a vegetarian diet is cheaper, they mean when you use whole foods. Beans and rice and veggies from the produce aisle and eggs will run you a lot less than meat. But when you get into the processed meat substitutes, they're pretty expensive. I have a bag of non-meat meatballs at home that cost $5 and will maybe be enough for two meals. I don't get them often because it's much more economical to throw in some lentils or black beans for protein.

Anything made with Byond meat and Impossible meat and stuff like that is going to cost you.

John park hopper

Got back yesterday from spending Thanksgiving at my sons's. The granddaughters (4, 6) got out all their pictures of our May WDW trip and they got dressed in their princess dresses. They kept asking papa john when can we go to Disney World again? My daughter in law is a Star Wars "nut" we started planning for the 50th anniversary Jan or Feb 2022. They want to go back to POFQ the girls loved it. We will be adding son number one his two boys will be 5 and 2 should be a fun time. Will get both knees replaced this Jan so I can keep up with them.

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
I had tried them before in restaurants that advertised plant based burgers on the menu. They were ok. I wouldn’t go out if my way to get them though as they are technically not any healthier than meat. I would prefer a whole grain and bean patty. At least I would know the ingredients. I have recently finally perfected a lentil and quinoa patty recipe that is flavorful and holds together. It beats the impossible burger by leaps and bounds.

recipe, please

MySmallWorldof4

recipe, please
Ingredients
1/4 cup red lentils, 1/2 cup quinoa, 1/2 cup almond flour, 1/3 cup pasta sauce,(I just eyeball technically) 2 flax eggs (2 tbl ground golden flax seeds mixed with 5 tbl hot water). 1 tablespoon italian seasoning, 2 tsp garlic powder, 2 tsp onion powder, 3/4-1 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp pepper. Optional : 1/3 cup nutritional yeast.

First cook the lentils and quinoa in the same pot with 1 1/2 cups of water. Takes about 15-20 minutes. Done when the water is mostly absorbed. Put it in the fridge to cool. I have done this the day before or in the morning to have it ready for when I am ready to cook.
Place the lentils/quinoa in a bowl with all the ingredients except for the flax eggs and mix. Then add the flax eggs and knead the mixture with your hands. Should be a sticky but manageable “dough”. I then will roll them into balls for veggie balls or into patties for veggie patties. I bake them in the oven at 375 for 15-20 minutes on one side and then flip. I know they are ready to turn when the bottoms turn golden brown. They then go back in the oven for 10 minutes or when the tops are firm and not sticky. Remember you can adjust your own seasoning after you mix it all since you can safely taste it before putting it in the oven. I use less salt and pepper than most.
You can pan fry them too, but baking is a little healthier.

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
Ingredients
1/4 cup red lentils, 1/2 cup quinoa, 1/2 cup almond flour, 1/3 cup pasta sauce,(I just eyeball technically) 2 flax eggs (2 tbl ground golden flax seeds mixed with 5 tbl hot water). 1 tablespoon italian seasoning, 2 tsp garlic powder, 2 tsp onion powder, 3/4-1 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp pepper. Optional : 1/3 cup nutritional yeast.

First cook the lentils and quinoa in the same pot with 1 1/2 cups of water. Takes about 15-20 minutes. Done when the water is mostly absorbed. Put it in the fridge to cool. I have done this the day before or in the morning to have it ready for when I am ready to cook.
Place the lentils/quinoa in a bowl with all the ingredients except for the flax eggs and mix. Then add the flax eggs and knead the mixture with your hands. Should be a sticky but manageable “dough”. I then will roll them into balls for veggie balls or into patties for veggie patties. I bake them in the oven at 375 for 15-20 minutes on one side and then flip. I know they are ready to turn when the bottoms turn golden brown. They then go back in the oven for 10 minutes or when the tops are firm and not sticky. Remember you can adjust your own seasoning after you mix it all since you can safely taste it before putting it in the oven. I use less salt and pepper than most.
You can pan fry them too, but baking is a little healthier.

Thank you!! Can I use regular eggs instead of the flax eggs at all?

MySmallWorldof4

Hey @Rista1313 and @Gabe1 check out these ears. I hope the rumor is true and they are the Flower and Garden ears for 2020. If so I'll be there the first weekend of the festival, so they should be in stock!

https://disneyfashionista.com/myste...WRHoG0MN6ohxWVLE41HUkTRQ1SqQ7L4uTEWJnpc3H1Cqc
Actually this makes me wonder if they were stolen by a worker in the factory they were produced in. The listing was for under $14 with a $6 shipping cost. Pretty sure they would cost more than that at the park.

MySmallWorldof4

Got back yesterday from spending Thanksgiving at my sons's. The granddaughters (4, 6) got out all their pictures of our May WDW trip and they got dressed in their princess dresses. They kept asking papa john when can we go to Disney World again? My daughter in law is a Star Wars "nut" we started planning for the 50th anniversary Jan or Feb 2022. They want to go back to POFQ the girls loved it. We will be adding son number one his two boys will be 5 and 2 should be a fun time. Will get both knees replaced this Jan so I can keep up with them.
Reservations made. Check!
Bags packed. Check!
Knee replacement. Check!

But seriously, that sounds like a wonderful trip. Our next trip may be in 2021 or 22.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom