The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

21stamps

I got stung by a jellyfish once. It was horrible. Had a scar for years above my right knee.

It hurts!!!

I was water skiing in Chesapeake Bay when I was 18 or 19 years old.. fell into a large group of jellyfish and went into shock. Had to be rescued out and taken to the hospital. I looked (and felt) absolutely horrible for weeks afterwards.
They don’t bother me when I see them while diving., but I can’t stand to see them while swimming.

MySmallWorldof4

It hurts!!!

I was water skiing in Chesapeake Bay when I was 18 or 19 years old.. fell into a large group of jellyfish and went into shock. Had to be rescued out and taken to the hospital. I looked (and felt) absolutely horrible for weeks afterwards.
They don’t bother me when I see them while diving., but I can’t stand to see them while swimming.
Wow! I cannot imagine. I was around 10 or 11. It felt like my leg brushed against nylon stocking with needles sticking out of it. I was in the ocean on a boogie board. I managed fine to get to shore. I couldn’t imagine getting stung by a whole bunch. Goodness. How did you get treated?

StarWarsGirl

I forgot the latest bit of car drama here...my dad's car won't start. They can't even get it to jump start. They'll have to have it towed tomorrow. Oh, and this is an extremely busy work week for my dad (he has to go down to Annapolis, two hours away, twice). And my mom has to work and get B from school, and obviously I need my car for work, so this should be a fun week.

StarWarsGirl

I forgot the latest bit of car drama here...my dad's car won't start. They can't even get it to jump start. They'll have to have it towed tomorrow. Oh, and this is an extremely busy work week for my dad (he has to go down to Annapolis, two hours away, twice). And my mom has to work and get B from school, and obviously I need my car for work, so this should be a fun week.
Update: apparently the plan is to try to jumpstart it again tomorrow. If it doesn't work, then they will have it towed and I will take my dad to work. This should be interesting because he has not ridden in the car with me driving since I had my learner's permit. Which was eight years ago. He tried to say he would drive. I told him no one drives my car but me. He can't argue with that; it's 100% mine.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Update: apparently the plan is to try to jumpstart it again tomorrow. If it doesn't work, then they will have it towed and I will take my dad to work. This should be interesting because he has not ridden in the car with me driving since I had my learner's permit. Which was eight years ago. He tried to say he would drive. I told him no one drives my car but me. He can't argue with that; it's 100% mine.

Have a nice drive with him!😃

StarWarsGirl

Did it not start it this morning? Maybe the battery is so dead it can’t jumpstart?
IDK if it started. They were taking so long that they told me to just leave and they'd share their working car. It's probably best. We have horrible fog here this morning, which of course I am perfectly capable of driving in, but it would not have been a very peaceful ride. I would have needed that tranquilizer.

Here's the thing: the battery has already been replaced once. It's only about a year old. So we're thinking maybe it's not the battery; maybe it's the alternator or something. The dash comes up when they plug it into the other car, but then it wouldn't start on Saturday.

I'll have to text my mom and see what happened with the continuing saga.

Goofyernmost

Maybe you could do a "Go Fund Me" and rent a car for a few days or the days they are needed. Just a thought. I'm sure somebody must have thought about renting one, but, I didn't see any reference to that possibility in your post. 😉

Goofyernmost

If it comes down to that, they will. Right now my dad is being a bit cheap...
I guess it is an individual decision, but I know if it were me... that would be the first thing I would do, however, I understand maybe holding off a day to see if a free loaner is available from the dealer. Usually long term warranty work will include a loaner. But, it would be a cold day in hell before I would inconvenience myself over a few dollars.

StarWarsGirl

I guess it is an individual decision, but I know if it were me... that would be the first thing I would do, however, I understand maybe holding off a day to see if a free loaner is available from the dealer. Usually long term warranty work will include a loaner. But, it would be a cold day in hell before I would inconvenience myself over a few dollars.
Oh, believe me if it were me, I'd get a ride to work for just the one day, and then after finding out how long the repairs would take, I'd get a rental. Did this when I ended up with rodent damage in my car. Didn't for when the deer ran into my car, but it was for a day and I had no place to be. Also, I hate wildlife.

My dad, however, is cheap and likely won't do it unless he finds out it's going to be days without his car.

Songbird76

I doubt that it is a universal thing. Back in Music College I admit that I privately thought that we Instrumental Majors had a more challenging path...I had to learn to play woodwind, percussion, brass, and even the violin and the cello. Over 4 years that was a lot of time spent in the practice rooms. Yet I did not look down on the Voice Majors. Additionally there was a girl I would have gladly dated. IF she had been interested in me I would have gladly attended any vocal event with her. Observing others...sure its natural the trumpet players are more likely to meet and make friends with other instrumentalists but there were friendships between the 2 majors here and there. No social divisions that I recall. Additionally I never observed a professor treating instrumentalists more favorably than vocalists.
Thanks for the thoughtful reply. I, as a vocalist myself, still had to learn to play all the instruments, too. We didn't get to choose one or the other. If you majored in music education, you had to do it all....k-12, band, orchestra, choir. So we had classes to learn the basics of every instrument, instrumentalists were required to do one semester of a choral ensemble...all our classes were together. The only thing different was that when it came to conducting class, the Collegiate Chorale director did the grading for the vocalists, and the Orchestra conductor did the grading for the instrumentalists, though they shared the teaching time (twice a week, one day it was the choir director, the next it was the orchestra conductor.) That actually really frustrated me, because the orchestra conductor was a real jerk with a short temper and his style was opposite to the chorale director. So the Orchestra director kept telling me to keep my arms way out in front of me because if I held them closer to my body, the ensemble may not be able to see them. So I would do that, but then the choir director would come and tell me I had my arms too far out and I needed to pull them in close to my body.(though he said it much more kindly) Obviously, the choir director is the one who gave me my grade, so I was going to do it his way, but the orchestra conductor would just yell at me. "HOW MANY TIMES DO I HAVE TO TELL YOU TO PUT YOUR ARMS OUT AWAY FROM YOUR BODY!" and he would grab my arms and yank them toward him, and he would be yelling in front of everyone, and when I tried to tell him that the choir director told me to do it this way, he cut me off and belittled me. I was in tears before my final in conducting because he was screaming at me. The two were never in the class together, so he never witnessed the choir director telling me to reel it in. And there were other things that he would scream about...he would constantly tell me not to wear this shirt or that outfit to his class ever again because it was distracting. But that was the only class that was like that. All the other classes were just taken by all music students, both instrumental and vocal, and were taught by one professor. MOST of the professors didn't show favoritism for instrumentalists....it was mostly the one for composition/arrangement. But as far as the students themselves went, we never had any functions all together. We had classes together, but outside of class we mostly didn't mix.

Songbird76

Hey gang! It's been a fun but tiring weekend. Some of my college roommates visited this weekend. It was fun to see them but I can tell I've definitely turned into a homebody since we all used to live together many moons ago. We stayed out late listening to live music in the area, did some shopping, and visited some local breweries in my area. And we go snow....yucky! It didn't stick to the ground so that was nice but it did make it colder and seeing those flakes wasn't something I wanted to see in early October.
That's so cool that they came to visit you!! Did you have the same roommates every year?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom