The Brazilian tour groups: is Disney taking action?

POLY LOVER

Hating on what? I hate when people ruin an otherwise enjoyable experience with rudeness and "look at me" behavior. All of the loud and obnoxious behavior stems from them needing attention and the feeling of importance. If they can get enough people looking at them, they feel they are the new center of attention.

If no one were around, do you think they'd be doing the same things?

Disney is a place for families, friends, and couples to enjoy time together doing fun things. It's not a place to be rowdy or tout some ridiculous national pride agenda. The minute other guests infringe upon another guest's enjoyment, Disney must handle it quickly and with zero tolerance.

You really derived a lot from groups chanting. I bet if Americans were thrown out of a soccer match in Brazil for chanting USA USA you would not be happy.

G00fyDad

How about what goes on during spring break with the college kids. How about high school senior week. I think we are being blind and are not seeing what our kids do.

We see full well what our kids are doing. This is an across the board issue and not centered with just one group.

As for your other comment about not letting it bother us, let me get in your face and start screaming, hold hands with my entire group and challenge you to try to "red rover" us, or I can cut in line right in front of you. Do you think you would just "let it go"? I doubt it. That is the issue many of us have about these groups. They are virtually unchecked and never get disciplined for bad behavior. American, Argentinian, Brazilian, etc. It doesn't matter. None of them show respect when they get into large groups and are left to their own devices.

Hulacat

So if you recall the giant July 3rd lightning storm that was getting covered in the news, I sat through the entire thing. However, some very nice off-duty CMs were seated next to me, several of whom worked at resorts. Being good at getting people to dish on things, as I tend to be, I got them on the topic of tour groups....

The resorts CMs I spoke to said that the tour groups were required to put down a $1 million, yes, million, deposit to be able to book rooms on property any longer. Apparently, the damage to the resorts over the past couple of years was pretty substantial.

If that is definitely the case, then it's no wonder they're sitting people down before they book the trip to discuss behavior.
I'm glad to see something being done as far as a deposit for damage, but the hordes of teens being largely unsupervised and ruining sleep nfr everyone at the resorts hasn't seemed to have faded away. We went for the weekend of 7/10-7/12 and they were running/screaming/slamming doors/playing music from 12 midnight to 3am.

Bairstow

Original Poster
I'm glad to see something being done as far as a deposit for damage, but the hordes of teens being largely unsupervised and ruining sleep nfr everyone at the resorts hasn't seemed to have faded away. We went for the weekend of 7/10-7/12 and they were running/screaming/slamming doors/playing music from 12 midnight to 3am.

Which resort was this?
Did you try calling the desk?

Hulacat

Which resort was this?
Did you try calling the desk?
Pop Century, yes, three times. DH heard a woman telling them to quiet down but nothing worked to quell the brat's party noise until exhaustion overcame me. transferred to a different resort the next day, but that was already planned.

lazyboy97o

Sure but it's an amusement park. Come on now I,be been having dinner at the Buma and there are kids yelling screaming running around like nuts but I write it off to vacation time. Ignore it and don,t let it bother you.
Amusement parks being the sort of place that encouraged crass and obnoxious behavior is one of the things Disneyland was directly responding against.

COrunner

A common thread to a lot of complaints is what happens outside of the parks, specifically at the hotels. Knowing this we've stayed away from POP and Art of Animation locations. My sleep and peace with my daughter at the pool is worth the extra $ each night because I'm not worried about a gaggle of teens getting crunk on freedom.

I'm glad that WDW is taking a firmer stand with larger groups, whether BTG's or the cheerleaders because they see it as a problem for other patrons. Everyone is entitled to Disney magic and we will definitely argue what that exactly means, but I think giving guests some space and peaceful moments has come out as important for many of us.

ItlngrlBella

I think we counted 5 (or 6) Brazilian Tour groups at DTD/DS this past Saturday night. They chanted and most groups were ok, except the one that came running behind us full speed in the bottleneck walkway by Paradiso 37.
We started speed walking/running.

I now know what The Running of The Bulls must be like. Thank you, Disney.

PS: when I read the topic of the thread, "Is Disney Taking Action?" My immediate thought... " The action they are taking: Laughing all the way to the bank."

PrincessVic

I have found this thread really interesting to read. We usually visit in October, and yes these large groups are still around - they don't vanish by the end of August!
In my opinion, Disney is supposed to be a place of fun and happiness. It is horrible to have that spoilt for you by large groups who cut in lines, push you out of the way, congregate in huge groups and block paths etc. Having very large groups of very noisy teenagers stampeding and charging towards you is intimidating, we have had to pick up our daughter on more than one occasion to "protect" her from this.
I hope no-one goes to Disney expecting a quite, empty park without having to contend with other people - it's not going to happen. But I do find as a whole, most people are considerate of others. The large groups seem to have the mentality that they are the only ones there, so we shall do and behave how we want.
I for one am pleased to hear that Disney are trying to control this, for everyones sake.

Ulysses McGill

We have always gone in the Fall (Sept & Oct) and have never seen a single tour group like the ones I know exist in the summer.

Well it's "winter" in South America right now, so that's probably why. And I put winter in quotes because their winter is like summertime in the northern U.S. Different seasons, even though it only really gets chilly in the higher altitudes in the southern part of the continent. So the Argentinian and Chilean tour groups ought to start picking up between now and the end of August.

POLY LOVER

We see full well what our kids are doing. This is an across the board issue and not centered with just one group.

As for your other comment about not letting it bother us, let me get in your face and start screaming, hold hands with my entire group and challenge you to try to "red rover" us, or I can cut in line right in front of you. Do you think you would just "let it go"? I doubt it. That is the issue many of us have about these groups. They are virtually unchecked and never get disciplined for bad behavior. American, Argentinian, Brazilian, etc. It doesn't matter. None of them show respect when they get into large groups and are left to their own devices.

I go to Disney(WDW) on a regular basis and I have never had anyone scream in my face, your experience seems to be much different than mine? not sure why.
I've seen the groups, I've heard the groups but never had them go wild. Maybe its just the fact that they are large and they chant in a different language and that scares you for some reason. I usually see someone that leads the group holding a flag in the air to keep them together, they seem supervised?
Don't let it bother you focus on your fun and not watch them so closely.

Last edited:

Jahona

I go to Disney(WDW) on a regular basis and I have never had anyone scream in my face, your experience seems to be much different than mine? not sure why.
I've seen the groups, I've heard the groups but never had them go wild. Maybe its just the fact that they are large and they chant in a different language and that scares you for some reason. don't let it bother you focus on your fun and not watch them so closely.

While it wasn't in my face directly, I witnessed a tour group leader scream at the guy next to me. There's a lot more to the story than just that but it was a bit jarring.

Chef Mickey

You really derived a lot from groups chanting. I bet if Americans were thrown out of a soccer match in Brazil for chanting USA USA you would not be happy.
Again, there is a time and place for everything. A soccer match might call for some team spirit when appropriate. Even that needs disrection. Disney World is not a place to show your national pride by singing, chanting, yelling, and being obnoxious. We all agree these tour groups bother surrounding guests and the sheer number of them can take over attractions. One must remember there are other people you need to respect.

I have no issues with tour groups in general, but they tend to get loud and obnoxious when they congregate in groups of 15 or more. Chanting should not be tolerated, ever at Disney.

I love my country and am proud to be an American. However, I understand not everyone in the world cares or needs to know that, especially as a visitor. During my trip to Tokyo, I was respectful to the Japanese as a guest in their beautiful country. This included being quiet and reserved when in public and during our visit to Tokyo DisneySea and Tokyo Disney.

POLY LOVER

While it wasn't in my face directly, I witnessed a tour group leader scream at the guy next to me. There's a lot more to the story than just that but it was a bit jarring.

I understand, in cases like that what does Disney recommend you do? I don't see security around so who would get called to deal with the problem?

Jahona

I understand, in cases like that what does Disney recommend you do? I don't see security around so who would get called to deal with the problem?

I don't know what Disney recommends you do. In most cases, unless it devolves to physical altercation the only thing you could do is just let it unfold.

G00fyDad

I've seen the groups, I've heard the groups but never had them go wild. Maybe its just the fact that they are large and they chant in a different language and that scares you for some reason. I usually see someone that leads the group holding a flag in the air to keep them together, they seem supervised?

I have a friend that you would get along with very well. ;)

Hockey89

Nah, wrong...It has nothing to do with language....Just because you don't care about manners or let things bother you does not mean a large portion doesn't.... There is no reason to be running around, cutting and screaming... Grow up and behave if not get the hell out.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom