The Brazilian tour groups: is Disney taking action?

DisneyManOne

Brazilian tour groups are the spawn of the devil...that's all I'm saying...

I swear, someone should just walk up to them and say this: "Atenção, grupos turísticos brasileiros: Nós, os turistas norte-americanos e os membros do elenco aqui, são absolutamente farto de seu comportamento. Você está alto, irritante e incrivelmente desrespeitoso. Por favor, deixe-nos imediatamente e não voltar até que você aprendeu costumes americanos ... e costumes, bem. Obrigado."

(Translation: Attention, Brazilian tour groups: We, the American tourists and the Cast Members here, are absolutely fed up with your behavior. You are loud, annoying and incredibly disrespectful. Please, leave us immediately and don't return until you've learned American customs...and manners, as well. Thank you.)

POLY LOVER

It is really blown out of proportion by some people on the boards that are xenophobic. I've experienced the Brazilian tour groups and also experienced the Pop Warner crowds as well as some of the grad nights... To be honest in every instance you had kids acting like kids. Do some in the Brazilian group chant in portuguese? Yes, but then some groups of American cheerleaders or band kids will also chant... only difference is the xenophobic folks don't understand portuguese so they assume it must be stopped while they simply ignore the American cheerleaders chanting something that is equally annoying.

I have seen and heard these groups what's the big deal they chant, it's fun why would that bother anyone. In Epcot WORLD showcase its a celebration of the worlds people. So they are proud they are from Brazil etc. it's harmless fun. I think some people are just looking for issues that don,t exist.

I have fun with them when they go by I give and get some high fives they laugh and so do I. I have seen us do the same thing at other country's sporting events etc.

NiarrNDisney

Back in '98, my now DW and I stayed at ASMu and had a late night run in with a tour group. I ran outside the room in the middle of the night in just my shorts and let loose on them for being too loud. @awheartsdw could give a better breakdown, but needless to say, the rest of the nights were quiet.

I feel YA :mad:!
Back in 2006 I was staying at ASMusic (never again) and had the luxury :rolleyes: of being in the world during what I believe was PopWarner! I had to deal with some obnoxious cheerleaders on the lawn outside of my door practicing their routines as well as talking/screaming while meeting up with boys and other friends! I finally gave up calling the front desk to complain, went outside to find the adults responsible for these little brats and had to have a talk/blow out (I am known to have a horrible temper) with them and finally a manager showed up and attempted to fix the issues! Luckily they left a few days later but I learned my lesson and avoided traveling when these events are going on as well as stopped staying at the AllStar Resorts.

NiarrNDisney

Going in sept is not what it was even 5 years ago. We go every sept, and it's as crowded as ever. But it is what it is. Come on pandora, frozen ride at Epcot, and Star Wars land. That will at least shunt the crowds to a more even dispersment. At least I hope it does
Dare to Dream!

thomas998

Disneyland is the Happiest Place on Earth. And that doesn't have any bearing on the notion of being loud and obnoxious in public. The "hating" is in direct response to rather specific actions.

You know Disneyworld is an amusement park not a public library... being loud isn't a crime... running around by kids is to be expected (if you've ever stayed at a resort that was filled with the Pop Warner crowds you would find that those kids run around and cause more noise than any foreign tour group has in any park, I know because we could hear the Pop Warner kids till very late at night and we were in a room with the door shut).

Hating in this case has nothing to do with other enjoying the park but everything to do with your own attitude towards others.

Bairstow

Original Poster
You know Disneyworld is an amusement park not a public library

Are there only two standards of acceptable public behavior when it comes to making noise, public library quiet and football stadium loud?
Is it possible that there could be a third, or perhaps even a fourth or fifth level of respectful noise-making in between?
Could it be possible that the amount of noise one can make with one's friends at a theme park and still be acting respectfully to those around them falls somewhere between what would be acceptable in a library and a stadium?

Anyway, I created this thread because I noticed an improvement in the behavior of the visiting tour groups and also saw evidence that Disney seems to be taking steps to curtail what has been a problem in the past. I realize that everyone enjoys sharing stories about bad behavior people have seen on previous trips, but maybe we can limit the discussion to things we've seen this summer? Just a suggestion.

thomas998

Are there only two standards of acceptable public behavior when it comes to making noise, public library quiet and football stadium loud?
Is it possible that there could be a third, or perhaps even a fourth or fifth level of respectful noise-making in between?
Could it be possible that the amount of noise one can make with one's friends at a theme park and still be acting respectfully to those around them falls somewhere between what would be acceptable in a library and a stadium?

Anyway, I created this thread because I noticed an improvement in the behavior of the visiting tour groups and also saw evidence that Disney seems to be taking steps to curtail what has been a problem in the past. I realize that everyone enjoys sharing stories about bad behavior people have seen on previous trips, but maybe we can limit the discussion to things we've seen this summer? Just a suggestion.

Oh there are several degrees of making noise... but your big problem is that you see yourself as the apparent judge of what is and is not acceptable.

The reality is the best way to look at it is by what Disney has as rules... Well maybe an even better standard is what are the rules that Disney enforces because to be honest they pretty much turn a blind eye to some of those rules.

And why you may believe that things have changed a lot of what you and others have mentioned as to CMs being dedicated to groups has been around for years, you and others just apparently just never noticed it before... and if you want to limit everything to this year only then your entire thread is pointless as it then lacks any history for reference.... Or was your intention to not actually look at reality and only to try a backhanded compliment of foreign tour groups.

lazyboy97o

You know Disneyworld is an amusement park not a public library... being loud isn't a crime... running around by kids is to be expected (if you've ever stayed at a resort that was filled with the Pop Warner crowds you would find that those kids run around and cause more noise than any foreign tour group has in any park, I know because we could hear the Pop Warner kids till very late at night and we were in a room with the door shut).

Hating in this case has nothing to do with other enjoying the park but everything to do with your own attitude towards others.
So other people should not be able to engage in conversation because one group wishes to chant?

thomas998

So other people should not be able to engage in conversation because one group wishes to chant?
They are chanting, singing... whatever... they aren't putting a gag over your mouth you're still free to talk all you want, or sing for that matter... If you are looking for peace and quiet to talk to someone maybe you should find a sit down restaurant or just stay in your hotel room... are you as equally annoyed when you hear a crying baby? Because honestly I am much more annoyed by the babies that are allowed to cry in Disney than I am by anyone singing or chanting.

Chef Mickey

Where is the love , in the happiest place on earth? Some comments just seem like hating on people.
Hating on what? I hate when people ruin an otherwise enjoyable experience with rudeness and "look at me" behavior. All of the loud and obnoxious behavior stems from them needing attention and the feeling of importance. If they can get enough people looking at them, they feel they are the new center of attention.

If no one were around, do you think they'd be doing the same things?

Disney is a place for families, friends, and couples to enjoy time together doing fun things. It's not a place to be rowdy or tout some ridiculous national pride agenda. The minute other guests infringe upon another guest's enjoyment, Disney must handle it quickly and with zero tolerance.

lazyboy97o

They are chanting, singing... whatever... they aren't putting a gag over your mouth you're still free to talk all you want, or sing for that matter... If you are looking for peace and quiet to talk to someone maybe you should find a sit down restaurant or just stay in your hotel room... are you as equally annoyed when you hear a crying baby? Because honestly I am much more annoyed by the babies that are allowed to cry in Disney than I am by anyone singing or chanting.
Most people have difficulty hearing a conversation over loud noises.

WhatJaneSays

I’ve always been conflicted on large tour groups (of any variety) that fail to break into more manageable sizes or lack proper management. There are many distinctions between groups like PopWarner/cheerleaders/musical and groups that are coming predominately from South American countries that make them fundamentally different.

Mostly it’s the tours not breaking down into smaller groups with horrible ratio of tour members to tour guides. There is little supervision for groups, tour leaders handle their groups with little consideration of other guests or CMs, and tour leaders often lack the finesse of dealing with the bulk of people they have.

The sport/music groups are mostly comprised of people that have competed or been invited to perform at Disney. They have a standing expectation to “behave or we won’t be back” coupled with many of them having fundraised for their own trips. These groups are often split out into packs of 3-8 with 1 chaperone as opposed to groups of 50-150 with 3-10 chaperones.

I’ve had plenty of experience seeing generally badly behaved, loud, or inconsiderate sport/music packs – however those smaller groups can often be avoided and they don’t clog areas. Smaller groups are more likely to follow instructions of CMs and be cooperative even outside of chaperone care.

Now I have noticed that the larger groups in the last few years HAVE been mildly better equipped with more guides and a better ratio of overseers to groups members and have been slightly better behaved. But because key individuals have limited fear of personal reprisal coming back on them due to group size the entire group can, and often does, get “infected” with that attitude. (Like one person throwing a beer can at a sports match – that breaks a behavior barrier and the outcomes of the behavior become devalued as more people engage in it – therefor suddenly there are dozens of people throwing beer cans.)

Personally I have zero issues with tour groups, provided they are well managed and don’t adversely impact other guests or CMs more than that same number of people not in a group. Unfortunately that is rarely the case with any tour group over 15 people.

POLY LOVER

How about what goes on during spring break with the college kids. How about high school senior week. I think we are being blind and are not seeing what our kids do.

POLY LOVER

Most people have difficulty hearing a conversation over loud noises.

Sure but it's an amusement park. Come on now I,be been having dinner at the Buma and there are kids yelling screaming running around like nuts but I write it off to vacation time. Ignore it and don,t let it bother you.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom