The Boat House construction at Disney Springs The Landing

RayTheFirefly

Indeed, why pay to advertise online when Yahoo or similar will rewrite your press release into a "news" article for free!
I'm not convinced it's entirely "free," but it's definitely probably more cost efficient and more effective in general. People will take information more seriously if they think it's "news."

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
You can with a straight face read that list as a customer and think 'wow, I really want to go there'? That PR described some of the settings, and the only other thing it really has at all for any meat is 'shopping, dining, entertainment' and highlighting the proper names for areas. But that is only the PR - I don't expect it to be the real hook... PRs are about an announcement - not the actual marketing efforts.

This is the same company that puts out how many hours of infomercials on their TV stations, radio, advertising, on-property TV shows, web, etc. This is the company that makes how many videos and interviews about attraction details, or hotel details, etc... and the ammo you have on Disney Springs is... a one page PR? Do you not see the huge gap here? Come on... the developer building the latest strip mall in your town has got more PR and media out there promoting why their development is what YOU want to be visiting. Disney made a CGI fly-through of the hub - a pure utility focused project - just so you'd be comfortable with the outcome and appease all the concern about the in park disruptions and what the final outcome would look like. That's not even something Disney needs to PROMOTE to be successful... it's freaking walkways and it was more about controlling the message and public sentiment about the project.

Yet here, we have a commercial venture, something that only succeeds by PULLING IN THE MONEY. Something that at least from our seats... is trying to redefine the image and customer base for this existing area. Yet... Disney has done what for the target customer bases to build the anticipation, get people interested, create that draw that the tenants will need to survive..?

Let's face reality - Disney Spring's announcement was TWO YEARS AGO. It's not like there hasn't been amble time to flush out what the message and delivery channels should be.

I totally get the project isn't near done - but what marketing group waits till their real estate development is DONE before they start shaping the message, creating demand, and creating excitement for their product?

Seriously.. my local subway train stop has got more media, more content, and more messaging out there than Disney Springs does.

There has been a lot of back and forth here in DS threads... is Disney trying to target the locals? Or the international buyers looking for cheap US prices? What are the draws they are going to showcase? What is the retail makeup really going to be centered around? Are we Cartier or are we Hot Tropic?

It would be one thing if I were thinking there is going to be this grand reveal.. and it's just not the time yet. But the way they've been trickling things out without much structure around the grander message... I'm really starting to think there is none of at all. We'll just get things opened as they come and they expect customers will just appear... because it's Disney you know.
So I certainly understand where you are coming from now. I have to agree that Disney is not being very forthcoming with information in certain areas, but do we know if they are marketing it elsewhere? Are they running adverts in the resorts? We were just there a few weeks ago, but we don't watch TV much when we are there. What about local commercials? Overseas? Maybe they're just keeping the good old U.S. folks who don't live there in the dark for now. Maybe a larger announcement at D23 is coming in a few months? I'm wondering if, due to all of the construction walls still there, maybe they are holding off on a message until more has opened, and a few more walls are down. If they had a huge media blitz right now, with all of the walls still up, it might turn people off from going there. Hard to tell sometimes what they are thinking.

So we are one of those people that visit DtD multiple times every trip. Being DVC members, we stay at SSR and OKW quite a lot, and take a boat there. Unless you go early in the morning, it gets crowded in the afternoons and evenings. Maybe, for now, they are just thinking that people will see, oh, that's open now, let's check it out. There were lots of people in all of the new smaller stores that recently opened, and there was just a small blurb on the blog about it.

Jon81uk

So I certainly understand where you are coming from now. I have to agree that Disney is not being very forthcoming with information in certain areas, but do we know if they are marketing it elsewhere? Are they running adverts in the resorts? We were just there a few weeks ago, but we don't watch TV much when we are there. What about local commercials? Overseas? Maybe they're just keeping the good old U.S. folks who don't live there in the dark for now. Maybe a larger announcement at D23 is coming in a few months? I'm wondering if, due to all of the construction walls still there, maybe they are holding off on a message until more has opened, and a few more walls are down. If they had a huge media blitz right now, with all of the walls still up, it might turn people off from going there. Hard to tell sometimes what they are thinking.

So we are one of those people that visit DtD multiple times every trip. Being DVC members, we stay at SSR and OKW quite a lot, and take a boat there. Unless you go early in the morning, it gets crowded in the afternoons and evenings. Maybe, for now, they are just thinking that people will see, oh, that's open now, let's check it out. There were lots of people in all of the new smaller stores that recently opened, and there was just a small blurb on the blog about it.

I don't think there will be any proper advertising for Disney Springs for over a year, just blog blurb and maybe a press release for the big restaurants (Boathouse, focussing on Amphicars etc, Moromoto, focusing on the celeb chef). Actual billboard style adverts will wait for the whole project to be completed and renamed. I never really remember seeing adverts for Downtown Disney, particularly in the "dark" years after Pleasure Island closed, they concentrate on advertsing La Nouba and similar to draw people in.

dstrawn9889

yeah, even after opening the garage, vastly increasing parking, they, well I, wouldnt want to advert something so far out, but is so close to the public. clearly they are trying to minimize the news coming out on this project to keep interest(and people) out of the area.

roj2323

Photos from inside!!!!

http://savepleasureisland.blogspot.com/2015/04/pi-update-boathouse-soft-opening_10.html

2015040995202759.jpg

2015040995190804.jpg

2015040995182854.jpg

2015040995183121.jpg

Jon81uk

That's not my point. I just meant the atmosphere looks really casual in the pictures for what is a pretty high-priced dining experience. I'm not trying to be negative, just evaluating those pics.

I would also guess that is the most casual room from the venue as it has the main bar, I'm sure there are other rooms too?

WDWtraveler

I just meant the atmosphere looks really casual in the pictures for what is a pretty high-priced dining experience. I'm not trying to be negative, just evaluating those pics.

I would also guess that is the most casual room from the venue as it has the main bar, I'm sure there are other rooms too?

The recently posted photos are from the main bar (The Captain's Raw Bar) and dining area next to the bar. It is the most casual portion of the restaurant, with a live music stage. The atmosphere is intended to be a "fun" place, with high end food. Expect a casual atmosphere overall, with excellent service and great food. As noted, there is a table inside a boat in the main room, with other booth seating that resembles a boat interior. There is also ample dining area outdoors on the deck overlooking the lake. The nautical décor is unlike most seafood restaurants anywhere.

There are other rooms. More formal and less noisy is the Trophy Room which is at the opposite end of the restaurant. It more closely resembles a steak house with wood paneling. You can ask for specific seating areas, but may have to wait a little longer for an opening.

I think the entire experience will be a pleasant surprise. The dock bar over the water is especially inviting in the evening.

Open to the public on Monday, April 13.

(Information from cast member present for invitation only period Saturday, April 11.)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom