The best movie during the Disney Renaissance: Your Vote

Which was the best Disney Renaissance movie?

• The Little Mermaid

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • Beauty And The Beast

Votes: 34 29.6%
  • Aladdin

Votes: 12 10.4%
  • The Lion King

Votes: 41 35.7%
  • Pocahontas

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The Hunchback Of Notre Dame

Votes: 3 2.6%
  • Hercules

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • Mulan

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Tarzan

Votes: 2 1.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

AREM

Original Poster
The Little Mermaid. Hands down.

End of story.

:D

Don't get me wrong; I ADORED BatB, and Aladdin is STILL one of the only movies that never gets old no matter how many times I watch it. And Pocahontas is, IMO, one of the most beautifully drawn Disney movies of all time. And the music is some of the best.

How about you guys?

imamouse

It was a tie for me between Beauty and the Beast and Mulan. I voted for BatB because it tugs at the heart a little more and the songs were hits (plus it was nominated for an Academy Award for best film - not just best animated film).

I love the story of Mulan - how one teenager saved her country! The humor is also great w/o being too over the top.

AREM

Original Poster
Almost forgot; Tarzan is another favorite. Just LOVE the music. Phil Collins is great. :sohappy:

princessmelinda

I love The Lion King because it was one of the first movies I ever saw in the movie theatre (that I remember). I love Little Mermaid and Hercules though :)

jedimaster1227

I wish I could have picked multiple movies because for me, all of those movies are classic. I voted for Tarzan because it is the one that I enjoyed the most, but it is closely followed by Hercules, Aladdin and the Lion King.

Though I will say, if your next question is about the best Disney Renaissance Movie Sequel, I will have to pick Aladdin and the King of Thieves! :king:

Animaniac93-98

The Little Mermaid off that list but as always The Rescuers Down Under is dutifully ignored, same with A Goofy Movie even if it wasn't done by WDSFA.

After watching Dream On Silly Dreamer it's tough to swallow any concept of this "Disney Renaissance" post Lion King as it all went downhill from their in and outside of the company and never much cared for these films anyway. Or before Lion King for that matter.

If someone talks about how great BatB was because it was nominated for best picture I'm gonna spit. It was a historical nomination but with that logic Doctor Doolittle (1967) is a masterpiece because it was nominated in that category. How it got their? Bribery. Films can get put there for the most ridiculous reasons and for Beauty it was because the critics and members couldn't think of anything better. IMO Beauty doesn't stand up against the likes of JFK. Bugsy was nominated that year too but it's average rating on RT is 6.9/10 and so was Prince of Tides with a 79% approval rating and average rating of 6.5/10! I think they were really desperate to pick 5 movies.

These films did nothing (besides Mermaid, Rescuers Down Under with CAPS and the mix of computers with hand drawn stuff but that wasn't invented for these films) to reinvent or push the art of animation, they just were really popular. In some cases they have sloppy production values as a result of the constant outsourcing and lack of touch with the directing animators and the others who were in some other continent.

I'll go on record as saying The Iron Giant, Anastasia, The Nightmare Before Christmas and South Park: Bigger, Longer and Uncut were all better animated films from that decade.

I wouldn't mind this thread if it were just "what's your favorite Disney film from the 90s?" except for certain films being forgotten (and Mermaid is 89), but this "renaissance" nonsense is getting old as most of these movies don't deserve that meaningless title to begin with.

Ilovewishes

The Lion King for me. No question about it. Loved that film from the moment I saw it. Even had Elton John's Can You Feel the Love Tonight for my first dance. The only song that can make my DH go all gooey.

ryguy

I would say B&B, the animation was far superior than LM. I remember walking out of the theatre and thinking how did they do that ballroom scene, it was truly amazing. I think there was more pressure for B&B to succeed since LM was such a success, it surely exceeded expectations.

baby1disney

I voted for The Lion King because it's my favorite movie!! I can recite the whole movie pretty much word for word:ROFLOL:!! To the point, DH just looks at me and starts shaking his head!!!:rolleyes:

I think Lion King sends a message in alot of different ways. Acceptance, loyalty, family, friends are all tied in there. And no matter how bad the past is, you can learn from it always!!!

Plus Timon and Pumba?!?! Talk about two HILARIOUS characters!!!:D:sohappy:

WishingOnAStar

All of these movies are amzing and it bums me out that Hunchback, Mulan, Hercules, and Tarzan are often underrated. Disney went through a real dry spell in the 80s before re-emerging with these classics (I love ALL Disney Animation, But Black Cauldron & Great Mouse Detective were a tad weak). After the dry spell of the 2000s (Again I love all Disney animation, however Atlantis, Brother Bear, and Treasure Planet were lacking), I hope we are on the brink of another Disney Renaissance with The Princess and the Frog!

rictusred

I picked Lion King out of all the films it was the only one that was not about a princess. and I thought the action was very good more in the Bambi vain.

tirian

TLM, followed by BATB. They were the only ones made without excessive MBA interference. Aladdin looks like a pithy love story between two melodramatic teenagers, even though the Genie was great. Sorry, I've always found TLK overrated, and many movie critics have said so within the last few years.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom