The Beautiful Game - World Cup Chat

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Original Poster
Google is being cheeky.

world-cup-2014-47-5450493904027648.5-hp.gif

SAV

Now if that were a true representation of what would happen, the US football player wouldn't back away, they would run through them all and the Soccer players would all act like they were shot and roll around on the ground for a few minutes holding various parts of their body. Then they would realize they had an offensive chance and would miraculously be cured and start running.

tamotu99

Shame what happened to the US team. But, it was a well played game (and a nail biter!).

Well, that leaves just Colombia and Costa Rica as far as teams I'm willing to root for. Oh, and of course...

German_Flag__BrushedMetal_DFB__by_Freakadelle91.jpg

And the Netherlands, the best nation (in football terms) never to win the world cup

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Original Poster
Now if that were a true representation of what would happen, the US football player wouldn't back away, they would run through them all and the Soccer players would all act like they were shot and roll around on the ground for a few minutes holding various parts of their body. Then they would realize they had an offensive chance and would miraculously be cured and start running.
It would have been amusing had they done that! Even funnier if they did it and the US had won!

FutureCEO

I'm sorry but a lot of people are saying how great the US played? They didn't play great. Tim Howard played great and everyone else just watched Belgium control the game for 105 minutes until the US woke up.

jw24

I'm sorry but a lot of people are saying how great the US played? They didn't play great. Tim Howard played great and everyone else just watched Belgium control the game for 105 minutes until the US woke up.

I agree. They sat back and let the opposition dictate the game and that was the case for Germany, Ghana and Belgium. What irks me the most was that there was no back up plan for Jozy Altidore when he got hurt. I've seen time and time again the US doesn't have what it takes to win with only one forward. Wondolowski may be a goal machine for the Earthquakes but he blew it on the big stage. Johannson is still young and didn't get much playing time and he was invisible in the Ghana game. Now you have to panic a bit as a US fan because Altidore has had two major injuries in major competitions (The 2011 Gold Cup, Jozy was also hurt and that hampered the US in that tournament.) so you now fear he maybe injury prone. But anyway, they need at least two strikers in the starting XI almost every game going forward. I agree with what Landon Donovan said that they were tactically designed to fail. Michael Bradley was a no-show throughout the tournament although to be fair, he was playing out of position. He's by no means an attacking midfielder, he's a defensive/holding midfielder and we already had two of them in Jermaine Jones and Kyle Beckerman. Brad Davis shouldn't have been on the roster in the first place. Zusi and Bedoya had their moments but I hardly consider them stars of the team. The backline, shockingly, held their ground for the most part.

Do I applaud Tim Howard? Absolutely. It was a good tournament. Having said that, but any keeper can make save after save but eventually, he lets one in and becomes human. Memo Ochoa of Mexico, everyone was singing his praises but in that game against the Dutch, the Dutch were attacking like mad and you had to figure at some point he was going to let one in..and he did twice and Mexico played way too conservatively after scoring the first goal. They can blame Robben and/or the referee all they want, but they were too careful and they paid the price for that. The US did the same thing against Belgium. They let Eden Hazard run all over them and they become too fatigued from chasing the ball, allowing for Romelu Lukaku to make an instant impact and be the difference maker in extra time. They sat back against Ghana after the early Dempsey goal and let Ghana run all over them. If it wasn't for John Brooks, dead last in the group guaranteed. Germany, they were playing for a draw and Germany were clearly going for the win and the US didn't adjust soon enough in that game and it was the same thing against Belgium. Hopefully, the US will have the mindset that you can't be too careless but at the same time, you can't be too careful either and you need to fully execute that regardless of the opposition, weather conditions, whoever's hurt or not in the starting XI, the referee, the pitch, etc. Bottom line, believing that you will win is one thing. Going out and making a win is another!

Anyway, I would think youth will be served going forward. So I expect Yedlin, Julian Green and John Brooks to be a part of the team in 2018. The Gold Cup next year, the special 2016 Copa America tournament and maybe, a spot in the Confederation Cup in 2017 along with World Cup Qualifying will be good watermarks for the US team.

tamotu99

Thats because the belgiums player for player have better quality, and there wasnt really much they could do to wrest control from them, however what they did, they did well, they deidnt make it easy for the Belgians (or for the Belgian at out work that was awreck the next day thanks to extra time, and virtually no sleep)

if you want to dictate a game then you need a great midfield, its the midfield that decide who wins a game (most of the time) it is just the attack and opposition defeence that decide by how much

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Original Poster
GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

dance-dance-germany-o.gif

rael ramone

...and Howard had to submit to drug testing right after the match....

Anyway, A good article by Dan Wetzel from Yahoo sports said that the U.S. only has Howard as an elite player, and for them to compete they need more - players who feel they can impose their will at the international stage...

Nero the dog

Before today Brazil have not lost at home for 12 years. They are now quoting what the record scores are in World Cup matches. 9-0 by the way.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom