The Beautiful Game - World Cup Chat

tamotu99

Well the result wasnt a shock but the score line, and the manner of the first half certainly was

now come on Netherlands

jw24

Well, there goes my prediction of an all South American final. I mean, the first game maybe foreshadowed the inevitable for Brazil. Poor defensive markings and effort and an overreliance on Neymar in that first game against Croatia. With no Neymar and an even worse defense without Thiago Silva, Germany cut through the defense like butter. Man, as an Arsenal supporter, having witnessed 8-2 and 6-0 defeats from Man United and Chelsea, those defeats hurt but Arsenal was on the road so losing by six away is one thing. Losing by six at home is another. They'll be some interesting storylines no matter what the final. An all-European final in South America with Europe's first World Cup title on South America, or Argentina maybe getting the chance for revenge after losing to Germany in 2006 and 2010.

But if you're a German supporter, here's something I found interesting: Germany has a tendency to draw or lose the next game after winning by 4 goals or more in the past. Don't believe me?

This tournament: Beat Portugal 4-0, drew against Ghana next group game.
2010: Beat Australia 4-0 in group stage, lost 1-0 to Serbia group next game. Beat Argentina 4-0 in QFs, lost 1-0 to Spain in the next game (SF).
2002: Beat Saudi Arabia 8-0, drew 1-1 against Ireland next group game.
1990: Beat UAE 5-1, drew against Columbia next group game.
1978: Beat Mexico, 6-0 in the group stage, drew against Tunisia next group game.
1966: Beat Switzerland, 5-0 in the group stage, drew against Argentina next game. Beat Uruguay 4-0 in the QFs, won the semis but lost the final to England.

However, in 1954, the Germans won the World Cup after a 5 goal win in the semi finals and won the quarterfinal against Yugoslavia after beating Turkey by 5 goals in a group stage playoff. (Back then, there were only 16 teams and apparently, only two games in the group stage.)

60 years later, Germany got a six goal win in semis and have already won two games by 4 goals or more, so perhaps it's good omen that Germany will the cup again.

jw24

So it's Germany vs. Argentina in the final. Seems like you should always bet against a team that has to take penalties a second time in the knockout stage.

Last edited:

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Original Poster
The Brasilians right now...

Akira-Tetsuo-crumble.gif

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom