The ball in tomorrowland is gone

Thurp

Original Poster
Yesterday I saw some construction walls around the ball in Tomorrowland so I was curious as to what they were doing in there.

I rode the TTA and I snapped this picture. The whole structure has been demolished.

Any idea what's going on? I had not heard a thing about this.

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    145.1 KB · Views: 636

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
I won't be surprised if a planter is put there...:rolleyes:

hahahaha! :ROFLOL:

Yeah, well I don't understand why they would get ride of it for a planter tho. I mean, it's not like it uses energy or anything and people walking by think it's neat. I'm not so sure people who walk by will call a couple of trees "neat". :lookaroun

MissM

Aw, shame. It was fun making it spin and then watching the kids come running over and take over.

For those who don't know, it was a solid stone sphere that had constellation patterns of the night sky on it. Looked immobile, but with a little push, you could get the thing spinning as it sat on water instead of the ground.

Edit to add: It's technically called a Kugel Ball: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kugel_ball

zipoff

We were there from 5-3 to 5-10 and every single time we walked past, my 2 year old had to jump out of the stroller to play with that ball.

On our last day, we strategically walked the opposite way to keep him from jumping out of the stroller, only to see the scrims up.

Each time we walked past there were 5-6 people playing with the ball.

Engine 51

Any chance it was damaged in the unusually cold winter? There are a couple of smaller ones on the Ohio State campus, and they remove them before they freeze and put them back in the spring.

Scooter

Things like these usuallly have pinch points where the ball meets the holder. Perhaps some little fingers got caught and Disney deemed the ball a safety risk and decided to get rid of it. Just a thought.

NewfieFan

Good choice to take the ball away!

I don't think it's a good choice at all! The ball was neat and certainly "fit" Tomorrowland. I actually walked by this last week and gave it a little push but it did nothing. Later that day we saw people spinning it... I guess I didn't give it a hard enough push (dang, little girlie arms)!

I wish I had taken a picture now! :(

SeaCastle

Well, there was always a possibility TDO was short one to begin this. I suppose this just completes the process.....

Having seen that they took down the Wand off of another one of WDW's famous Balls a few years back, I'd hedge a bet that this is part of some long term plan.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Having seen that they took down the Wand off of another one of WDW's famous Balls a few years back, I'd hedge a bet that this is part of some long term plan.

So now they have a giant tower and a giant ball backstage....huh...I wonder what they are building?

blm07

So they took it out, what is the reason? Someone got hurt? Broken ball? Cost too much to have the water flowing?

What will they replace it with? Nothing? Plants? Merchandise cart? Some other cool little detail?

I'm all for less clutter in the parks, but in the form of less carts, not the little details.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom